• antikitschychick: Right but it doesn’t have a month and day listed does it? Last I saw it was just the year. Previously it was... 10:55 PM
  • LT: Russian wikipedia shows her birth year as 1975. 10:49 PM
  • antikitschychick: Interesting discussion about singers above; Cicciabella, I agree with your comments and with all due respect to Ms.... 10:14 PM
  • antikitschychick: Thanks for the suggestion NPW-Paris. That’s exacty what we were thinking of doing. My friend says she can find... 9:50 PM
  • laddie: Happy Birthday Håkan Hagegård! httpv://www.youtub 1HTDh0k 8:12 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: Oh yeah, definitely Team Oscar here, for precisely this reason. 7:56 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: My most hated moment in opera. Just try explaining the plot of this opera to someone who knows nothing about opera, and... 7:52 PM
  • rapt: My note was about Racette, btw (should there be any question….). 7:49 PM

Leather underground

Putting in a little face time (and what faces!) at Charles Castronovo‘s cabaret at 54 Below last night were barihunk trifecta Erwin Schrott, Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Ildar Abdrazakov. Note the  leather jeans. The tenor repeats his show tomorrow night following that evening’s Met performance of Don Ottavio. (Photo: Charles Martin)

• Maury D says:

Now we can indulge in a playful round of “Marry/Fuck/Kill/Hear a performance of Hugo Wolf songs by.”

‘Opera Hot’

• thirdlady says:

Personally, I think it’s kind of adorable how they obviously coordinated (if that is in fact the right word?) their outfits beforehand. Except for Charles, who looks as though he got some style advice from Hamish Bowles…

• Belfagor says:

Erwin looks like he’s blimping out. Losing his lustre -- he’s turning into Mr Blobby. Good job he can sing (?)

• atomicwings says:

How many does this closet accommodate?

• tannengrin says:

he’s neither goldi nor has he locks, but he’s got the three bears…

• perfidia says:

Godness, Ildar looks like the kind of man who would build you a log cabin with his bare hands, dragged you inside and…. curtains fluttering on the breeze.

• perfidia says:

• Bianca Castafiore says:

OT (or maybe not):

Just heard that Ch. 13 in the NY area will broadcast the Tucker Gala next Thursday, 12/13 in the evening. Check your local listings (possibly on PBS in other cities as well).

• bassoprofundo says:

Pity that each singer in that photo is devastatingly overrated.

Maybe overrated in your opinion, but 50% of them are vastly wealthy.

• bassoprofundo says:

Well, yes, but there are many wealthy people in all walks of life whose talents do not match their bank accounts. :)

But it is because of their excellent talents that they have been rewarded with wealth, great gigs and happiness.

• Benedetta Funghi-Trifolati says:

I’m with bassoprofundo on this one. Paraphrasing and with apologies to the sublime Tina Turner, “What’s wealth got to do with it?” Andrea Bocelli, Katherine Jenkins, Lindsay Lohan and the Koch Brothers are wealthy too. Anyone can make big bucks today and that doesn’t necessarily guarantee greatness, artistic credibility or even talent. These 3 “barihunks” (I HATE that word almost as much as “Park and Bark”) are big operatic names in 2012 and more power (and wealth) to them. I wish them well. None of them do much for me and IMO not one of them is worth a pimple on the ass of young Ettore Bastianini or Cesare Siepi in either the voice or hunkometer categories.

• phoenix says:

I will do the inspection for pimples on their 4 asses -- I assume Benedetta did the same for Bastianini & Siepi a half century back.

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Devastatingly overrated? Oh, please!!!

• Maury D says:

Yes but you say that about 95% of the singers mentioned on here so it really doesn’t seem to mean much.

• bassoprofundo says:

I’d really love to hear you argue with a straight face that Hvorostovsky, Schrott, etc, are exceptional talents who deserve all of the press and plaudits that they receive.

$50 says you can’t do it without breaking into riotous laughter.

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

In this day and age, we should be happy when anything related to opera gets a few inches of press attention. If it takes some celebrity singers who may not be the greatest artists in history to keep opera on the map, we shouldn’t get too riled up. I hate to sound as repetitive as the gang on this site who are always waiting for greats from the past to rise from the dead, but where are all the singers today who are so much better than these guys?
          There were a lot of folks back in the day who thought Bastianini was a tasteless bellower (they probably would have been posting that to this site if such things had existed back then). I was raised on Siepi (BORIS with Siepi was the first opera I saw at the MET), but he’s long gone. His Met days ended in the early 70s supposedly because Levine was not a fan.
          Exceptional talents? Depends on who one is comparing them to. I have heard them all give fine performances.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Was that the The Four Seasons’ 1980 Reunion Tour?

Now you can say you went to Yale and studied opera!

• m. croche says:

OT, but since the greatest of the Bobolinks announced her far-too-premature retirement last week, I’ll mention this here:

Operacast tells me that tomorrow there will be a radiocast from Stuttgart of Edison Denisov’s l’Ecume des jours , after a novel by Boris Vian. Denisov was a Russian composer of the same generation as Schnittke and Gubaidulina, but his music, more abstract and subtle than Schnittke’s, has won fewer admirers in the US. But l’Ecume des jours is quite interesting -- shifting back and forth between Vian-style jazziness and Bergian harmonies. I think it’s a lot of fun. I wrote about this opera once on Denisov’s birthday, but it appears that comment got swallowed up at some point. Denisov discusses the opera at some length in Jean-Pierre Armengaud’s with him. If there’s interest in the material, I’ll retype some of it here.

You can sample the opera here .

The Russians have uploaded the new Lohengrin video!

• Hans Lick says:

What does “kolbasnaia tusovka” mean?

• blanchette says:

QP- can we get the russian download? It won’t download for me. thanks

The files are still there (all 6 parts) once you have the omponents you have to run UNRAR and the two parts of the opera will open in a separate folder. Take a very long time for the downloads and the files have Russian subtitles and host.

• blanchette says:

thanks qp- I am hopeless- i got one to download but now can’t open it. I just don’t get how computers work. how do they fit La Scala inside. ?no really I’ll keep trying

• ljushuvud says:

blanchette -- the entire opera as streamed is now available on youtube.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Link please? My search couldn’t find it. Thanks!

• ljushuvud says:

FragendeFrau – I didn’t post the link in case the film was removed. If you search youtube for ‘Barenboim Scala Lohengrin’ it appears about second on the list.

• ljushuvud says:

FragendeFrau -- I didn’t post the link in case the film was removed. If you search youtube for ‘Barenboim Scala Lohengrin’ it appears about second on the list.

• jatm2063 says:

I think they all look like they are having a good time. Abdrazakov could probably stand to lose 20 pounds (at least), but most men do at that age. It’s a handsome group (we all know Schrott looks better than this). Does Castronovo have adorable little dimples? I can’t quite tell.

• lorenzo.venezia says:

If “Abdrazakov could probably stand to lose 20 pounds (at least), but most men do at that age” then perhaps your concept of what “men at that age” should weigh is off by about 20 pounds?

• Enzo Bordello says:

Abdrazakov looks absolutely edible and emphatically does not need to lose 20 pounds (why? so he can look like an androgynous twig?) He exuded virile sexuality when I saw his shirtless Attila in Rome this summer.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Abdrazakov looks the best of the lot to me. Tastes differ. And with my cooking he wouldn’t loose any weight anyhow but perhaps gain a few more. :)