• m. croche: So glad that you folks enjoyed yourselves. You can now count yourselves among the Beijing Opera aficionados who involuntarily... 12:21 AM
  • Camille: croche, I have to fall into bed right now but want to let you know than Zhang Huoding was simply splendid, the opera was most... 12:02 AM
  • antikitschychick: This is awesome; thanks for the heads up Liz :-). Also, meant to mention in my previous comment that J&O’s... 11:44 PM
  • Krunoslav: “Gheorghiu’s upcoming Australian concerts seem to include her first live performance of Sola Perduta Abbandonata —... 11:43 PM
  • Liz.S: Did anybody already mention that Enescu Festival is streaming live on their home page – festivalenescu.ro? This weekend, we... 10:33 PM
  • antikitschychick: thanks for the link Cieca; I listened to some excerpts and while we certainly get some lovely & virile singing from... 10:04 PM
  • antikitschychick: correction: she did take a break after the first aria and the orchestra played the intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana.... 9:16 PM
  • m. croche: Heartwarming news: Meredith Monk, composer of the opera “Atlas” ;, dancer, choreographer, composer, and filmmaker,... 8:59 PM

Leather underground

Putting in a little face time (and what faces!) at Charles Castronovo‘s cabaret at 54 Below last night were barihunk trifecta Erwin Schrott, Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Ildar Abdrazakov. Note the  leather jeans. The tenor repeats his show tomorrow night following that evening’s Met performance of Don Ottavio. (Photo: Charles Martin)

• m. croche says:

OT, but since the greatest of the Bobolinks announced her far-too-premature retirement last week, I’ll mention this here:

Operacast tells me that tomorrow there will be a radiocast from Stuttgart of Edison Denisov’s l’Ecume des jours , after a novel by Boris Vian. Denisov was a Russian composer of the same generation as Schnittke and Gubaidulina, but his music, more abstract and subtle than Schnittke’s, has won fewer admirers in the US. But l’Ecume des jours is quite interesting -- shifting back and forth between Vian-style jazziness and Bergian harmonies. I think it’s a lot of fun. I wrote about this opera once on Denisov’s birthday, but it appears that comment got swallowed up at some point. Denisov discusses the opera at some length in Jean-Pierre Armengaud’s with him. If there’s interest in the material, I’ll retype some of it here.

You can sample the opera here .

The Russians have uploaded the new Lohengrin video!

httpv://files.mail.ru/QTYVPC

• Hans Lick says:

What does “kolbasnaia tusovka” mean?

• blanchette says:

QP- can we get the russian download? It won’t download for me. thanks

The files are still there (all 6 parts) once you have the omponents you have to run UNRAR and the two parts of the opera will open in a separate folder. Take a very long time for the downloads and the files have Russian subtitles and host.

• blanchette says:

thanks qp- I am hopeless- i got one to download but now can’t open it. I just don’t get how computers work. how do they fit La Scala inside. ?no really I’ll keep trying

• ljushuvud says:

blanchette -- the entire opera as streamed is now available on youtube.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Link please? My search couldn’t find it. Thanks!

• ljushuvud says:

FragendeFrau – I didn’t post the link in case the film was removed. If you search youtube for ‘Barenboim Scala Lohengrin’ it appears about second on the list.

• ljushuvud says:

FragendeFrau -- I didn’t post the link in case the film was removed. If you search youtube for ‘Barenboim Scala Lohengrin’ it appears about second on the list.

• jatm2063 says:

I think they all look like they are having a good time. Abdrazakov could probably stand to lose 20 pounds (at least), but most men do at that age. It’s a handsome group (we all know Schrott looks better than this). Does Castronovo have adorable little dimples? I can’t quite tell.

• lorenzo.venezia says:

If “Abdrazakov could probably stand to lose 20 pounds (at least), but most men do at that age” then perhaps your concept of what “men at that age” should weigh is off by about 20 pounds?

• Enzo Bordello says:

Abdrazakov looks absolutely edible and emphatically does not need to lose 20 pounds (why? so he can look like an androgynous twig?) He exuded virile sexuality when I saw his shirtless Attila in Rome this summer.

• Feldmarschallin says:

Abdrazakov looks the best of the lot to me. Tastes differ. And with my cooking he wouldn’t loose any weight anyhow but perhaps gain a few more. :)