• kashania: I will. Like you, I haven’t heard Lopardo in years and am really looking forward to hearing... 1:02 PM
  • kashania: Oops, my comment was supposed to go in response operajunky’s comment. I did see Written on... 12:58 PM
  • kashania: Yeah, she’s a low soprano for sure. 12:56 PM
  • jackoh: Allow me to offer a defense of the McVicar Cav, which I liked better than his Pag. In the same... 12:43 PM
  • norma54: Agree with almost everything in the review…. ESPECIALLY the awful, distracting and... 12:40 PM
  • danpatter: I saw the HD telecast, so my perspective is different, of course. I hated the Cav production,... 11:43 AM
  • tatiana: Thanks for another thorough and perceptive review, JJ. I saw this in HD–no real intention to... 11:40 AM
  • Satisfied: Aside: Written on Skin tickets went on-sale today to the general public. Promises to be a... 11:39 AM
  • PCally: I think she’s aware of that because she sings Santuzza, Cassandra, and Didon and recently... 11:39 AM
  • JohninSeattle: The Judith Blegen clip is wonderful. Thanks for that. She was always a personal favorite 11:39 AM

Opera pump

Happy birthday to baritone Zachary Gordin, cover boy for this year’s Barihunk Wall Calendar.

Karaoke Lady for the Hunk

• And happy birthday to Tenor Michael Wade Lee, who also is celebrating today while he tours the UK with Opera Leeds Otello.

Love you bro!

• papopera says:

I have no interest in any barihunk calendars who do not show full front nudity with exposed scrotum and penis.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Changing the tone with this bounty from Gelbworld:

“November 23, 2012

Casting Update News

Carl Tanner will sing the role of Radamès in this evening’s performance of Verdi’s Aida, replacing Marco Berti, who is ill.

Tanner made his Met debut as Dick Johnson in Puccini’s La Fanciulla del West in 2010. He sang Calàf in Puccini’s Turandot with the Met in Central Park and at Staten Island’s Miller Field in 2003. In recent seasons, he has sung Radamès with Dresden State Opera, Hamburg State Opera, and Edmonton Opera.”

• la vociaccia says:

I saw carl tanner as calaf and luigi at nyco in 2001 and 2002 respectively. I remember liking him ( he at least got some lusty applause in tabarro), and I’ll be at the Aida prima tonight, so I’ll report accordingly on his radames.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

vociaccia, he can’t be any worse than the alternative:

This is just horrendous, q.v. the tepid applause at the end.

• la vociaccia says:

Oh Bianca don’t get me started. I felt it went without saying that I was thrilled the current squillo machine would not be bleating his sorry way through another great score. Although I was slightly curious to hear the actual sound of berti in the house, so much did our doyenne lavish praise on his calaf that I figured there was something there. Anyway, it won’t be there tonight, but borodina and monastyrska will, so cheers for that

• papopera says:

At 19:43 he didn’t sound too hot in Celeste. Na. Doesn’t augur well for the rest of the show.

• The Vicar of John Wakefield says:

Where was Dennis O’Neill?