• pirelli: “I admired Schaefer as Lulu a great deal…” Me too – much much more than... 12:53 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: What anyone at the Figaro rehearsal? Where was the prompter’s box? 12:49 AM
  • The_Kid: Since I have very little skill in scaling singers to mountains, I decided to refrain from... 12:49 AM
  • pirelli: “…and even held on to the E-flat [sic] at the end of the Czardas…R 21;... 12:46 AM
  • The_Kid: Ah, Mrs. JC. Finally!!! However, if you want to inject a degree of sanity into the conversation... 12:34 AM
  • The_Kid: Aw, sh^t. Wrong post. httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=SW73 r2S-wm4 12:27 AM
  • The_Kid: For a long time this was the only Medea excerpt minus the hectoring, out-of-whack recitatives on... 12:25 AM
  • mia apulia: quite charming, a nice way for me to end the evening and head upstairs…. 11:28 PM
  • Sempre liberal: Not quite a pirate, but in honor of the Scotland election, I nominate Margaret Price’s... 11:14 PM
  • la vociaccia: 69 year old Dorothy Kirsten giving the Met audience a last-minute singing lesson... 11:07 PM

Opera pump

Happy birthday to baritone Zachary Gordin, cover boy for this year’s Barihunk Wall Calendar.

Karaoke Lady for the Hunk

• And happy birthday to Tenor Michael Wade Lee, who also is celebrating today while he tours the UK with Opera Leeds Otello.

Love you bro!

• papopera says:

I have no interest in any barihunk calendars who do not show full front nudity with exposed scrotum and penis.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Changing the tone with this bounty from Gelbworld:

“November 23, 2012

Casting Update News

Carl Tanner will sing the role of Radamès in this evening’s performance of Verdi’s Aida, replacing Marco Berti, who is ill.

Tanner made his Met debut as Dick Johnson in Puccini’s La Fanciulla del West in 2010. He sang Calàf in Puccini’s Turandot with the Met in Central Park and at Staten Island’s Miller Field in 2003. In recent seasons, he has sung Radamès with Dresden State Opera, Hamburg State Opera, and Edmonton Opera.”

• la vociaccia says:

I saw carl tanner as calaf and luigi at nyco in 2001 and 2002 respectively. I remember liking him ( he at least got some lusty applause in tabarro), and I’ll be at the Aida prima tonight, so I’ll report accordingly on his radames.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

vociaccia, he can’t be any worse than the alternative:

This is just horrendous, q.v. the tepid applause at the end.

• la vociaccia says:

Oh Bianca don’t get me started. I felt it went without saying that I was thrilled the current squillo machine would not be bleating his sorry way through another great score. Although I was slightly curious to hear the actual sound of berti in the house, so much did our doyenne lavish praise on his calaf that I figured there was something there. Anyway, it won’t be there tonight, but borodina and monastyrska will, so cheers for that

• papopera says:

At 19:43 he didn’t sound too hot in Celeste. Na. Doesn’t augur well for the rest of the show.

• The Vicar of John Wakefield says:

Where was Dennis O’Neill?