• manou: Here is Jessica Pratt in the complete Puritani from Firenze: https://www.youtub epZAVZs 1:46 PM
  • -Ed.: So great, antikitschychick! Loved reading about your time at Tosca, which was the favorite opera of the grand lady who introduced me... 1:26 PM
  • dai: armer, I saw Coster in Wales several times in my earliest opera-going days back in the 1967-72 period, and recall her as a pretty... 1:24 PM
  • dexter: I saw him as Da Gama at the ROH with Bumbry and assorted others. I remember him as MrsJC says. An amazing top C sharp or something... 1:06 PM
  • antikitschychick: Lol that’s a bummer about Butterfly grim; especially since the music is gorgeous. But a slap in the face... 12:01 PM
  • armerjacquino: Interested to hear about Bonisolli’s early lyric years: they would presumably include the surprisingly good Rome... 11:53 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: I never did thank you JML for last week’s Forza. Always good to hear Gilda and Siepi. She was easily... 11:42 AM
  • antikitschychick: LOL you are too kind…think the only thing me and Proust have in common is we were both asthmatic…me at a... 11:41 AM

Opera pump

Happy birthday to baritone Zachary Gordin, cover boy for this year’s Barihunk Wall Calendar.

Karaoke Lady for the Hunk

• And happy birthday to Tenor Michael Wade Lee, who also is celebrating today while he tours the UK with Opera Leeds Otello.

Love you bro!

• papopera says:

I have no interest in any barihunk calendars who do not show full front nudity with exposed scrotum and penis.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Changing the tone with this bounty from Gelbworld:

“November 23, 2012

Casting Update News

Carl Tanner will sing the role of Radamès in this evening’s performance of Verdi’s Aida, replacing Marco Berti, who is ill.

Tanner made his Met debut as Dick Johnson in Puccini’s La Fanciulla del West in 2010. He sang Calàf in Puccini’s Turandot with the Met in Central Park and at Staten Island’s Miller Field in 2003. In recent seasons, he has sung Radamès with Dresden State Opera, Hamburg State Opera, and Edmonton Opera.”

• la vociaccia says:

I saw carl tanner as calaf and luigi at nyco in 2001 and 2002 respectively. I remember liking him ( he at least got some lusty applause in tabarro), and I’ll be at the Aida prima tonight, so I’ll report accordingly on his radames.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

vociaccia, he can’t be any worse than the alternative:

This is just horrendous, q.v. the tepid applause at the end.

• la vociaccia says:

Oh Bianca don’t get me started. I felt it went without saying that I was thrilled the current squillo machine would not be bleating his sorry way through another great score. Although I was slightly curious to hear the actual sound of berti in the house, so much did our doyenne lavish praise on his calaf that I figured there was something there. Anyway, it won’t be there tonight, but borodina and monastyrska will, so cheers for that

• papopera says:

At 19:43 he didn’t sound too hot in Celeste. Na. Doesn’t augur well for the rest of the show.

• The Vicar of John Wakefield says:

Where was Dennis O’Neill?