• La Cieca: And when I was born the most popular film of the year was White Christmas. What’s your point? Attendance at the Met has... 2:11 AM
  • erricco: That was an outstanding production…& #8230;…and Ottawa had many others in those years 12:34 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: On the other side of town an old man is screaming for Stella by starlight httpv://www.youtub 12:23 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Looks like Roberto is feeling chipper for the second Vasco da Gama (lots more out there) httpv:// 12:15 AM
  • Bill: Bronzino – yes when I was young and my great aunt had 4 subscription tickets for every Met matinee in the first row of the... 11:43 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Here it is! httpv://www.youtub i7_aW3I httpv://www.youtub ZSTjYUs 11:32 PM
  • willym: Yes back in the days when we had an summer opera festival that was worthy of the name “festival 221;. Golden days. 11:27 PM
  • SilvestriWoman: No offense taken here in Chicago! When he led the CSO, as soon as a concert ended, he couldn’t get out of town fast... 10:51 PM

Anna macchia è qui tuttora

It’s confirmed! A spokesperson for Anna Netrebko has just informed La Cieca that “Anna is scheduled to do Lady Macbeth in Munich in a future season.” Working without the spokesperson’s guidance, your doyenne is guessing that this new role will debut circa 2016-17, around the time of her first Norma.

• Lucia Lammermoor says:

Thank you for sharing these surprising and unbelievable news! Netrebko as Lady?

I absolutely agree with some comments that Lady does not necessarily need to have an ugly voice. Lady Macbeth, however, needs “cojones” and Anna does not have that! She has a light splendid voice which she fills with hard throatiness as soon as she forces (remember Bolena?). She could sing the sleepwalking scene beautifully, but IMHO without drama and without goosebumps. Opera is not about (just) beautiful voices, its about emotions, force, being blown away by huge voices, drama and of coruse acting. Manastyrska, yes … (if she works more on her phrasing, her italian and her acting), even Urmana, but not Anna! The best Lady so far is Guleghina. She has it all, the “blow-me-off-my-feet” voice , the “cojones”, the beauty, everything. so, let us truly hope that not only Anna, but also the theatres come to their senses and invite Guleghina.

I don’t think Netrebko is going to ruin her voice singing Lady M. or anything and I think her voice is big enough. And she has the coloratura skill required. But, as it stands, her voice doesn’t have that edge and thrust that one would want in the role. Mind you, 4-5 years’ time, her voice could be ready (it has developed a lot in the last several years). I’m more interested in her Norma. If she has the stamina for it, she could be quite good in the part, especially the second act.

• poisonivy says:

I agree. I’m still salivating at the idea of a Netrebko Rusalka.

• kennedet says:

I agree kashania. Personally, I think it’s the best move for Netrebko. I always thought the voice was too dark for the “ina” roles and Donizetti.

My biggest concern is what will happen to the true lyric coloraturas that we enjoyed in the past?? Are we going to discard the Blegens,Galli-Curci,Sayao,Pons,Peters, Sills timbre??? Yes, I know they are from the old school but the colorturas of today have a much darker timbre than the past (Let’s not discuss bel canto and the great Maria Callas at this time).There are still sopranos who have this light quality and they are being told that their voices are too small for today’s orchestras. Dessay comes close but her vocal problems almost exclusively erase her from the competition. IMHO, I think Diana Damrau quality is too dark to be considered a true coloratura. I know she has the range but classification is not determined by range alone, as you well know. Should the tastes of today totally obliterate a voice classification??? Inquiring minds want to know. I own an early CD recording of Kathleen Battle singing colortura arias and the orchestration and vocal quality seem perfect for the music.

I’m just listening to Giulio Cesare from English National Opera and I was thinking that Anny Christy sounds like an old-fashioned coloratura, though it’s not a particularly pretty sound. It’s Olympia as Cleopatra … As I’ve said on here before, I think that Gruberova was partly responsible for the change in fashion on what a coloratura should sound like -- she always had a harshness and glassiness that seems to have become perceived as desirable (and is definitely part of Damrau’s vocal personality). A nice coloratura I heard last year is Brenda Rae. It’s not a doll-like sound, though, and she is taking on Traviata at Santa Fe soon.

• The_Kid says:

yep, i definitely second that. the old-fashioned coloratura line is no longer well-represented in the major houses. did the Met ever revive Lakme after the heyday of Lily Pons, for example?

All is not lost, there is still a future and there are reasons for hope: I am very much looking forward to next season’s Lakmé at the Opéra Comique, with the up-and-coming coloratura soprano Sabine Devieilhe in the title role. (She is singing the role as we speak at the Opéra de Montpellier.)

• Casting Netrebko as Lady M is akin to casting somebody like Francesca Annis in the Shakespeare play.

Ah, wait, it has already been done.

• Clita del Toro says:

CF, you don’t get it. I really does not matter what role Trebs sings or how she sings, it will always be the a huge hit.

Will the pulpeuse Anna sleepwalk naked, though? (She’ll over 45 be the time the show happens.)