• antikitschychick: sorry not a handful of times; but a handful of productions, with this one at the Met being her 7th, so more than a... 12:53 AM
  • antikitschychick: Found a good review of the November 28th performance, (same one Camille saw) by Opera Teen: https://operate... 12:30 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: And the very greatest Elizabeth Rethberg in 1925 with Freidrich Schorr in “O Sachs! Mein Freund” The story... 12:29 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: sorry, httpv://www.youtub d-axeLs and I AM in this one which starts earlier, Maria Reining, with... 12:19 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Now, Batty, wasn’t there someone here who thought act three was the worst stretch in Wagner? Here is the Nazi... 12:15 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Well, Kaiser seems to think it’s a city by city issue. I can’t guess what makes San Francisco so competitive... 12:07 AM
  • Batty Masetto: Lorenzo, I don’t want to cover ground that Greg Freed has covered so well already, but Friday’s performance... 12:03 AM
  • antikitschychick: thanks grim! Yes I added two more posts :-) and no worries about the misspelling; it’s not my real name lol. 11:56 PM

Thanking you so much

La Scoopenda tries on Vera Galupe-Borszkh‘s mantle of grandezza for an interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer (“I don’t even know where Indiana, Pa., is – but I’m going there soon, for a concert”), describing herself as being from the old school, “especially compared to the young turks running around on the operatic stages in Europe these days, sometimes wearing nothing but their underwear. Opera over there has become quite a youthful pursuit and competitive sport.”

• Clita del Toro says:

I see that La Scoopenda is toning down her couture.

o my gawd. Check your “Color Aura Chart” first!!

At age nearly 54 — let me tell you gurls — you are well advised NOT to expose yourself in just underwear.

One of my former favorite colours is now permanently ruined.
    Edith Head would not have approved of it in any case.

Don’t worry Camille

Madame Vera know how to carry this off.

GRANDEZZA in PERSONA! She never lets us gurls down!

Evviva la VERA Vera!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Is that Vera Duckworth?

Could well be -- but it is actually the famous diva Madame Vera Galupe-Borszkh, lately of La Gran Scena Opera Company.

Immaculate photoshop from our own doyenne, of course.

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Huh! Might have known it wasn’t Coronation Street’s very own blonde bomb-site, the one that isn’t Bet Lynch anyway.

But thanks for the true ID, and yes, wasn’t la C’s photoshopping just the business?

Yours, still getting over the cruel departure of You Know Who from You Know What top Sunday night Brit TV show (saying nothing more in case our American friends haven’t seen it yet -- clue, it’s not a reference to the eliminations from X-Factor or Strictly), BV x

Yes indeed -- we are all bereft. My husband has opted out of the whole thing because it is “just too silly”. More fool him, I say! He can go back to reading heavyweight political tomes.

• PushedUpMezzo says:

Does look very like a purpler version of Dame Elton John at the fabulous 50th party where the wig had to travel in a truck, being too tall for a limo

Indeed it does

David Furnish has the right colour wig.

pardonnez-moi, but you pop up infrequently and I must just now interject to ask if you have been to hear Le Roi Malgré Lui as yet? Think your Wexford Festial is on about this time, no?

Thank you and Erin go Bra!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Salve Camille,

without an intermission feature for the past couple of weeks, I refrained to date from posting my visits to Forza in Cologne (28/09)and T&I (06/10) here at the Dublin Theatre Festival -- must do so very soon. But I tune in here all the time and enjoy the cut and thrust.

Now, we are booked only for A Village Romeo and Juliet on Mon 29th with some fringe events to pad it all out, though we might just squeeze in the Roi on the previous day, too -- or else see it on the 31st while the spook-tacular is taking place at that Galleria you posted about yesterday. [That date is sold out but I have my methods].

Funnily enough, Galler is the name of my opera choc of choice at this year’s event. Here’s their US site:
            My gal pal Eva is heading to Galler’s home city of Liège tomorrow and will do the needful, bless ‘er!

Forgive me for not responding in timely fashion, Baltsamic Vinaigrette, if you can.

I am a little disappointed you will not be seeing Le Roi, but Ti Perdono.

Please do post your views on the Kölnisch Wasser Macht des Schicksal, however! Curious situation going on there right now, from what I read a while ago.

Don’t ever ever go to that nasty, terrible Galleria in Sherman Oaks. It is the province of the dread VALLEY GIRL, and as such, they speak a language that is incomprehensible to all other human beings.

I have duly noted your choco advices and say thank you to you, so kindly, and so very much, my Bard of the Emerald Isle.

• Salome Where She Danced says:

Black and white film montage of La Scoopenda inside her Pullman berth as posters for her gala performances waft and dissolve against map of Pennsylvania and chugging locomotive: Indiana, Wilkes-Barre, Tamaqua, Mauch Chunk, and Scranton. Also dissolves to closeups of clapping hands.

• Clita del Toro says:

Salome, love your images.

Isn’t that image from LULU, mein Engel?

She did sing that in the suite version in the early nineties mit Levine and The Band. It would have been interesting if she’d have kept that up!!!! Imagine the couture possibilities for Lulu!!!

“Today, Fleming has succeeded the late great Beverly Sills as America’s premier poster woman/popularizer of opera.”

Not even close!!!!

Unfortunately, for the majority of Americans, opera is synonymous with Katherine Jenkins, Il Divo, and Andrea Bocelli. For those millions of people hearing those singers live is the event of a lifetime.

La scoopenda might be know to a few followers of Martha Stewart, but certainly not as a “poster woman” for opera.

• Clita del Toro says:

OT: announcement:

October 16, 2012

Casting Update News

Avgust Amonov will sing the title role in this evening’s performance of
    Verdi’s Otello, replacing Johan Botha, who is ill.

• tannengrin says:

Wow. They are now sending’s self-titled “Gizmo Guy” to interview La Scoopenda. Swishing your mantle of grandezza is surely a valid response to that, lol.

• Nerva Nelli says:

“She has dozens of definitive recordings under her belt, and is much in demand for concerts and major productions worldwide, including world premieres such as Andre Previn’s “very dark” rendering of “Streetcar Named Desire” and the Metropolitan Opera’s postmodern rendering of Rossini’s “Armida.”

AMATEUR HOUR! In what way was the Met ARMIDA a world premiere? And what are Flemings’s “dozens of definitive recordings”, please?

Ridiculous article.

Nerva Nelli!

How could you make such a statement about one who has been characterized thus:

“She doesn’t just give her
        Characters a voice…

BUT A SOUL”

Tsk, tsk.

• norma54 says:

PUFF piece……. on a PUFF diva.

• Podlesmania says:

I wonder who is organizing all these concerts in Colombia (maybe they tour around South America? I dunno), first Jessye Norman, then Deborah Voigt & now Fleming on the same year. I suppose it’s a good thing.

• Clita del Toro says:

Covent Garden Rheingold will begin, live on BBC3 in a few moments. They are “discussing” now.

• DonCarloFanatic says:

Thank you! I can’t get enough of Rheingold. The description of the production sounds perfectly awful, though: “Alberich drives his point into his own right eye…”

• Amazon has a deal of classic Mozart recordings from the 40-50 for $1.99. That is over 100 tracks for that price. Flute, Giovanni and Cosi

• perfidia says:

I’ve been gorging on those Amazon offers. I got the 100 pieces by Schubert, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky and Mozart, the Beethoven sonatas, the Trittico with Vicky of the Angels and I have a ton of things waiting on my wish list. Some of the performers on the pieces are not the greatest, but so far noone is less than competent (and most times more than that). It is a good way to familiarize yourself with the works of certain composers. I have been too opera centric, so now I am getting a late education.

• messa di voce says:

Wow. They’ve basically decided the only thing they can do with classical music is give it away. Good news for us, but sad.

• Well, a lot of these recordings are going out of copyright, at least in Europe, so many of them are great to get for starter collections because they are now available at cheaper prizes. Lets not forget that they will likely want an arm and a leg for that Carmen with no Carmen only because the Don Jose is pretty decent, and the micaela is ok and the Escamillo passable.

£9.99 on iTunes, that CARMEN, not exactly an arm and a leg. And Kuhmeier’s Micaela is a lot better than ok.

• Ruby says:

Thanks Lindoro: I quickly went for this bargain! Keep us all posted if you see other specials!

• zinka says:

Yes..Renee is OLD SCHOOL.As Desdemona last night her volume was pretty much like the way Zinka Milanov sings NOW.

• A dearth of tenors doesn’t stop the Met from continuing to celebrate Verdi’s 199th birthday with this revival of Otello. Review (of Tuesday night’s show) on that dreaded opera blog, Superconductor.