• lorenzo.venezia: yes, Grim. that’s what I meant by “and conflicting imperial claims of other European monarchs (e.g. Bourbon... 8:14 PM
  • quoth the maven: um…in NO way acknowledging etc etc 7:45 PM
  • quoth the maven: Falstaff is ultimately integrated into the group that has taught him his lesson, in an ensemble that emphasizes that... 7:44 PM
  • irontongue: About that Joan Crawford award – we’ll see who should get it after next summer’s Jenufa, hmmm? 7:41 PM
  • quoth the maven: Hold it, Batty. Just because it’s “not the only way of seeing these things” (by which, I assume you... 7:39 PM
  • grimoaldo: Trying to reply to lorenzo on nationalism, it is a long thread, I am not sure where it will come out - “The biggest... 7:30 PM
  • armerjacquino: lorenzo: you shame me. My degree was in Italian and my specialisation was 19th century. Again my apologies, this time for... 7:18 PM
  • lorenzo.venezia: Armer– oh dear. how to parse this one… First, Italian nationalism: the only time the peninsula was ever “united”... 7:14 PM

Blind bargain

Which one of “the world’s leading classical singers” is currently seeking a personal assistant to perform the following tasks: maintain the calendar; handle contracts, visas, taxes and royalties; coordinate relationships with agents, publicists, lawyers and accountants; manage correspondence, websites and social media; and, oh yes, “manage all financial aspects of Artist’s career under supervision of Artist?” The position is 9-5, five days a week, with some evening and weekend work, some international travel, and no overtime paid on the base salary of $48,000 a year—which, you must admit, ain’t much for all that work.

Another possibility is that the singer in question snatched the job description from the boilerplate text at

I vote for Gladys Ormphby

• arepo says:

Amazing that Netrebko never popped into anybody’s head immediately but mine!
    Just sayin’.

I thought of that, but there’s no indication “must also have restaurant management skills”

Talking of which, maybe Anna should open a Quebecois-themed restaurant, so she could serve poutine as well as serving Putin.

• norma54 says:

DOUBLE that salary ……. and it wouldn’t be worth it.

Of course, the quickest way to find out who it is would be to apply…

• Tenorfach says:

“The World’s Leading Classical Singer”??? Three websites and a pt intern -- all office based in NYC?

Well with that salary it must be someone VERY famous, to get away with it. Although a PA role at ROH, London -- recently advertised, carried a similar salary.

Salaries seem to generally very low in the industry -- very odd. I shall not apply! LOL

• Tenorfach says:

Actually just done the exchange rate and the ROH job was quite a lot less!! Ouchhhh!!

And if it is Nebs, they couldn’t pay me enough to take on the job! LOL

As CK says, it equates to about £30k, which would be about the rate a PA could expect if they were working for the MD of a provincial company. But that’s in the corporate world- arts jobs are notoriously worse paid.

To be honest, I don’t think this job would necessarily be that underpaid were it not for the section about managing all the artist’s financial affairs- a combined PA/accountant is a bit cheeky.

• ianw2 says:

Entry admin roles at the Met pay about the same. But the difference is that the people taking home that level of salary aren’t having to conduct international contract negotiations.

• Maury D says:

I still don’t understand why people here call her “Nebs.” Her name is not Anna Nebko.

“9 to 5.” Clearly Dalila Partino.

‘taxes and ROYALTIES’= royalty= ELISABETTA AL CASTELLO DI KENILWORTH= Mariella Devia.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Arts admin roles are notoriously poorly paid, in the UK at least. I don’t think this role really falls under ‘arts admin’ though, or is comparable with anything the ROH would be recruiting for.

But yes, that $48k per anum translates today as £30k, which is beyond the wildest dreams of somebody starting out in arts admin, I’d venture! A friend who assisted somebody very senior at Glyndebourne until recently was on a lot less.

• Buster says:

How much are you paying Irma, Bianca?

• dallasuapace says:

Whoever takes the job may soon come to think that it is a lot better to be a lawyer or an accountant.

• pavel says:

The one possible clue that jumps out at me is the use of “ain’t” instead of “isn’t.” Are there any song lyrics with “you must admit” or “ain’t much”? Of course, that would mean a classical singer who sings pop, jazz or show tunes. Deborah Voigt? Nathan Gunn?

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Or contemporary American opera, as has already been noted.

I can’t really see why Voigt or Gunn could possibly need to employ somebody like this, unless Voigt really expects to go super-nova after her book comes out.

Already done, if you read the thread! CockyK suggested it pointed to STREETCAR, and I thought it might be connected to ‘Ain’t it a pretty night’.

• iknowthings says:

Why is an item “blind” if the job description obviously had the artist in question’s initials in the “reply to” email address.

It’s Thomas Hampson. And this is old. It was on NYFA weeks ago (and is no longer).

• louannd says:

Regarding Thomas Hampson -- from an interview two years ago at

Hampson is an artist not difficult to research. He has an impressive and comprehensive website, immaculately presented and meticulously organised (his webmistress is his step-daughter, a talented designer). I ask him if it reflects his personality but he laughs the suggestion off, saying that, despite the appearance of order, his life is chaotic. It’s a response not uncommon in perfectionists.

“I’m a complete lazy sod,” he claims, “I live in a permanent state of anarchy, looking for organisation. When I work and study, I like to build layers. I like mind-mapping software, those kind of connecting things. I guess I know most productivity software and use it to try and get on top of this complete mess.”

“And I’m also always late,” he adds. He uses words like “methodical”, “rationality” and “methodology” and it sounds like a very ordered mind to me, despite the fact that he did indeed turn up slightly late for our meeting, having got the times mixed up.

I wonder how much his stepdaughter was doing for him besides being webmistress -- now she might be much too busy with her husband’s career (Luca Pisaroni).

• smarterthantheavgbear says:

Catherine has been doing far more than her father’s or Mr. Pisaroni’s websites for quite a while. She has an entire business doing many, many websites that she takes on the road --

• Don_Dano says:

Oh well, I guess it is too late for me to make a wild guess of Ms. Margo Channing.

• tabss says:

Planning to do spring cleaning and want to get a jump start? I’m looking for anything and everything you have about Beverly Sills, especially NYCO programs from 1955-1980. Happy to pay shipping. Please let me know what you have to offer. --Freeman Stamper, Hayward CA

• Melot's Younger Brother says:

How does one apply for a job as Signor Pisaroni’s assistant. Now that’s a position a guy could make sacrifices for.