• Sanford: Bonisolli isn’t too shabby, either. 11:02 AM
  • PCally: I too had never heard a single recordings of hers, even that first otello telecast with Domingo. I really enjoying her lovely... 10:55 AM
  • Sanford: I must say that I wasn’t familiar with Ms. Cruz-Romo’s voice before listening to this but I’m in love.... 10:33 AM
  • PCally: Well as I said in feel Grahame rose to the occasion until the final scene. Up until then I thought she tended to fade into the... 10:25 AM
  • olliedawg: marshiemarkII, You and me both. MartinW was simply amazing, sang his part as if he were born doing so, incredible diction,... 8:24 AM
  • PCally: *Tristan, the ring, and parsifal in terms of wagner love, but it’s still one of my all time favorites. 7:44 AM
  • PCally: Porgy, I don’t think Meistersinger is lesser Wagner, in fact I said that the best of it ranks as the finest music wagner... 7:43 AM
  • williams: …oops sorry mercadante. 7:14 AM

Thirds and music

Richard Wagner told Cosima he first got the idea of composing an opera about Tristan and Isolde while he was conducting Bellini’s I Capuleti e i Montecchi starring his muse, Wilhelmine Schröder-Devrient, in the trouser role of Romeo.

Wagner said lots of stuff. Whether this bit was true or not, it was Wagner’s high opinion of Bellini (especially Norma, of course) that kept the man in the repertory outside of Italy through the dark years of verismo and Gesamtkünstwerk. Happily, the two men never met; Wagner would have tried to borrow money and you know how that would have turned out.

In the afternoon preceding last Saturday’s concert performance of Capuleti at Caramoor, maestro Will Crutchfield gave a talk (with piano) on Bellini’s influence on Wagner but, unaware of this, I went by a later bus rather than the earlier train and missed it. Deep regrets. A friend who was there was knocked out by Crutchfield’s talk (why not?), and hoped it would be recorded. Putting it on the Web site would be fine advertising for Crutchfield’s summer-long bel canto program, now in its ninth year.

The operas at Caramoor are always preceded by talks and smaller concerts germane to the pièce de resistance, showing off the voices of the program’s young artists. This year, besides a concert devoted to all-but-forgotten Nicola Vaccaj—who had set the Capuleti libretto as Giulietta e Romeo five years before Bellini had that pleasure, and whose Tomb Scene was preferred by Malibran and other prima donnas to the point of interpolating Vaccaj after two acts of Bellini (to, no doubt, the mortification of both composers)—there was a concert of fascinating bits of other Romeo and Juliet derivations, by the likes of Zingarelli (Bellini’s teacher), Steibelt, Gounod, Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Zandonai and Leonard Bernstein. (I know just what you’re going to say: What, no Filippo Marchetti? Sad but true.)

If the weather is at all decent (on Capuleti Saturday, it was deliciously almost-cool if a bit humid), you should always try to spend the whole day at Caramoor: The grounds are a treat and you’ll hear lovely musical tidbits you never heard before, I guarantee.

Capuleti, when we got around to it, was livelier than it tends to be, Crutchfield bringing out the rumbustious Rossini crescendi Bellini had not yet discarded, the male chorus in fine fettle. (Why do so many operas of the time—all of Rossini before Semiramide, I believe—have only a male chorus? Was it just too expensive to hire women or was it not yet respectable for them to sing nightly on the opera stage? They certainly danced the frequent and forgotten ballets.)

The Orchestra of St. Luke’s boasted several soloists (Bellini calls for clarinet, horn and cello in this opera) whose plangent swelling and fading notes implied bel canto training on par with that of the singers.

I first heard this opera in the infamous Abbado revision, with Romeo a tenor. Even Giacomo Aragall’s famous legs and Renata Scotto’s bel canto chops couldn’t quite bring that off. A concert with Troyanos and Sills and a run at the City Opera with Connolly and Dunleavy did not encourage me to regard this work of 1830 (a great success in its day) as much more than a prelude to greater works.

“O quante volte,” Giulietta’s languid aria, a too-constant feature of voice contests, simply foreshadows Amina’s great scena in La Sonnambula the following year, and the Capuleti love duets for soprano and mezzo aren’t a patch on Norma.

Crutchfield’s vigorous conducting and some very pretty vocalism made it a jolly pastime, still more a curiosity than a candidate to join Bellini’s three masterpieces (with Puritani) in the major leagues. Still: Three is pretty good for a man dead by the time he turned thirty-four.

The cast were all of them in good form, none of them quite knockouts. Eglise Gutiérrez, whose voice has a beauty, a luster, an evenness that recall the young Caballé, lacks the occasional power with which that lady, trained as a dramatic soprano, could draw one up short to excellent effect. Too, Gutiérrez seems never much to care what words she is singing; we do not hear them in any case. That stratagem may maintain the youthful sheen of her sound but it, too, undercuts dramatic effect.

Kate Aldrich—sometimes known as “the other Kate”—looked good but gamine, a Cherubino not a rough-tough Ghibelline warrior, and she had a rough night controlling her pretty but not terribly distinctive mezzo. She eschewed high notes and could not be heard at all if anyone else (Giulietta, Tebaldo) duetted with her. By the second act she was producing passion without sacrificing beauty of tone, but she did not cut a heroic figure.

The boys were okay, but only Leonardo Capalbo as Tebaldo, Giulietta’s fiancé, had much to do. His barky tenor is sizable and well produced, and after some pitch problems at his entrance, he sang a fine cabaletta with point and bite. Benjamin Harris and Jeffrey Beruan ably filled the comprimario roles of Lorenzo and Capellio, the Father and the father.

Lilli Lehmann, having achieved both feats, famously said that singing Bellini’s Norma was tougher than singing the three Brunnhildes, a remark that has led far too many unwise Wagnerians to infer they are up to the former.

What she seems to have meant is that, in Bellini, the singer has no place to duck and cover, whereas, surrounded by the enormous Wagnerian orchestra, a singer who runs out of breath or has any other problem has the option of fading into the sound, of letting herself be carried along for a minute or two.

In Bellini, you’re out there: Everything rides on the singer, and every flaw is plain over an orchestration kept pointedly slight but functional, joining vocal scene to scene and maintaining the romantic atmosphere.

Gutierrez could handle this, strolling exquisitely through long, dulcet, plaintive scenes that could easily become tedious and somehow, with just her voice and an instrument or two, held our attention. She is worth noting and hearing, and I hope will develop some Italian diction and dramatic flair to go with them.

The singers who were worshipped in Bellini’s day were the great actresses like Pasta and Malibran and Schröder-Devrient, not the canaries. Patti and Melba, wise women who knew their instruments, sang fluttery Elvira and even some Wagner but not Norma or Giulietta—they knew they’d never get away with it.

Photo: Gabe Palacio

• brooklynpunk says:

VERY NICE TAKE, on the performance itself--and the pleasures of spending the day , at Caramoor..THANKS…!!!

• almavivante says:

Not a bad write-up, and I wish I’d been there (were it not that I get home to Brooklyn after Caramoor circa two a.m.; after the extraordinary Ciro in Babylonia I didn’t want to do this excursion twice in one month).

However, if this reviewer had not been inclined to view I Capuleti as more than “a prelude,” he clearly missed the OONY performance some years ago with Vesselina Kasarova and Annick Massis, which was superb. Had he not heard Horne’s or Baker’s recordings of Romeo’s opening aria? Or Sills’s recording of O quante volte? Or the Baltsa/Gruberova EMI live recording, which is thrilling? I admit that City Opera’s production was less than ideal (well sung, but the updated setting seemed arbitrary and pointless, and added nothing to the narrative), but there’s plenty of evidence out there to lead one to love I Capuleti as much more than a prelude to anything, and a joy in and of itself.

• Angelo Saccosta says:

Very well said on all counts, Victoria. It was a delightful afternoon and evening.

• belcantomaniac says:

Nice review -- I wish I had been there. Not to quibble, but the Young Artists program at Caramoor has been around for 10+ years….at least when i was there!

I shall never forget Tatiana Troyanos as Romeo dragging up the sounds of “Ma su voi ricada il sangue” from deep in her vagina.

• grimoaldo says:

“(Why do so many operas of the time—all of Rossini before Semiramide, I believe—have only a male chorus? Was it just too expensive to hire women or was it not yet respectable for them to sing nightly on the opera stage? They certainly danced the frequent and forgotten ballets.)’

No, some of Rossini’s pre-Semiramide operas have male and female chorus, some male only.
    The reason for male only chorus was indeed economy. Most Italian opera houses of the early to middle 19th century did not keep permanent female chorus on staff, if female chorus was needed they had to be specially hired, male chorus was always part of the staff of the opera house.
    Italian operas of this period do not feature dances or ballets with very few exceptions.
    Lucrezia Borgia, Rigoletto, Barbiere, Cenerentola for instance have male only chorus and only a few very minor dances or none.
    This lovely opera, I Capuleti e i Montecchi has been performed fairly regularly at Covent Garden since 1984 when I first saw it with Baltsa and Gruberova,in 85 with Troyanos and Ricciarelli,92 with Anne Sofie von Otter and Amanda Roocroft, and other times, notably 2009 with Garanca and Netrebko.

I saw Riccarelli a number of times in the 70s and 80s, and that C&M was the only time she impressed me -- probably because the repertoire really suited her (which I don’t think, say, the bigger Verdi roles did).

I was chatting to a friend the other day about Ricciarelli and came to the conclusion that despite building her career largely on Verdi, it was in Puccini (Angelica, Liu, Mimi) that she did her best work.

• Krunoslav says:

armerjacquino says:
          “Ricciarelli …
          despite building her career largely on Verdi, it was in Puccini (Angelica, Liu, Mimi) that she did her best work.”

Interesting observation, Armer, but I would contend that her very best recordings are LUISA MILLER, LA BATTAGLIA DI LEGNANO and I DUE FOSCARI.

The Davis BOHEME seems to me an entirely unnecessary recording, although I have read that in the theater Ricciarelli and Jose (perhaps understandably) gave a lot to their parts when singing together.

‘Kate Aldrich—sometimes known as “the other Kate”—’
    Sorry, I am being dim here, but who is the non-other Kate?

Hepburn !

Battle? Antonacci? Cornaro?

Royal, or the Duchess of Cambridge….and then there’s the Lindsey lady, too.

As the sign says at Lincoln Center —
          “Pick Your Pleasure!”

No -- it’s Hepburn (a marvelous quality about Aldrich in private life).

• DurfortDM says:

My rooting interest fluctuates with the specific personalities but I’m inclined, in many cases to prefer the Guelfs.

• DurfortDM says:

Kate Lindsey….Yeah!!

• DurfortDM says:

Many props to the Duchess but Royal is more attractive.

Must say Aldrich….I don’t know. She has not, as yet, added up for me. As I recall her carmen with Kaufmann was much praised but I found it a bit cold and sort of bitchy (not necessarily wrong for Carmen, of course, but int this case the bitcheness seemed somehow of putting).

• Nerva Nelli says:

Quanto Painy Fakor says:

No – it’s Hepburn (a marvelous quality about Aldrich in private life).

Ah, no wonder you came to her defense so gallantly-- despite how she sang!

Doesn’t change the fact that there’s an 1/8 rest after Romeo’s “first fucking word”.

• Nerva Nelli says:

Big fucking deal. She broke up lots of lines, obscured several entries, fell from pitch, sounded hard pressed on top.

Maybe she should try a remake of ALICE ADAMS and leave singing Bellini to others?

• phoenix says:

Verbose yet familiar -- I think I recognize the style -- perhaps Victoria studied with ________?

• WeillFan says:

My musical theatre roots are showing, but the double diva picture featured for this post immediately had me thinking, “Oooh! Who’s reviving Henry Kreiger’s 1997 Broadway musical “Side Show” about the vaudeville star conjoined twins Daisy and Violet Hilton? I’m sure these two divas sing a mean version of “I Will Never Leave You.”

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Didn’t Lilli Lehmann say ‘rather 3 Gotterdammerung Brunnhildes than 1 Norma’, as opposed to ‘the 3 Brunnhildes’? That, at least, is how I heard it reported via Callas in an interview she gave on the subject.

• man0man0man says:

Thirds and music?
    Could someone please explain the title? I’m sure that ICEIM has a bunch of duets with the singers running around in thirds… but I have a feeling that LaC’s head means more than that.

It’s probably a harmless reference to music sung or played in thirds (where one person takes the top of the interval of a 1/3, mostly najor thirds, and the other person takes the lower note) -- never all that easy to keep in tune. Can anyone thing of operatic music with series of minor thirds?

Keyboard batteries must be low ! manjor thirds, not najor -- sorry.

• man0man0man says:

Manjor, najor, minor, tomato, major, either, ither… The survivor-of-music-theory-101 in me might point out: it would be pretty unusual to find a series of entirely major thirds or entirely minor thirds during this (or any pre-1900) period, when most running around was diatonic (native to the key of the music). Diatonic thirds in both major and minor keys include a healthy representation of both flavors (major and minor)… and often some juveniles.

God, I still love Perry Como after all these years, but June Allyson still gets on my jock strap!! Thanks Ciecabella. Need to go to sleep and Comocrooning always does it.

• La Cieca says:

My favorite scene from this opus: a pair of Rodgers and Hart standards performed at a Hollywood party by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. The first is a duet:

Followed immediately by a solo “encore” for Judy:

Great performances, both, but note a slight problem in continuity. The first song was completed and Judy was sent off on a long-awaited vacation where she relaxed and eased up on the strict diet she followed while working at Metro. A few weeks into her R&R, she got a call from the studio saying they had just previewed the picture and the audience all clamored for another song from Judy. Could she return immediately to the studio for a week or so of work recording and performing an encore?

Sure, said Judy, but when she got back to Culver City it turned out she’d gained about 10 pounds while away and no longer fitted into her costume. A copy was made a size larger, with some changes of detail (e.g., the later dress was unbelted), which worked out fine. Nobody seemed to notice, though, that Judy’s hair had grown out as well, almost to shoulder length.

But, either rail-thin or healthily curvy, Judy’s in excellent form here. This would be her last film appearance opposite Mickey Rooney, and near the end of her great years at Metro (she finished only three films there after this one: Easter Parade, In the Good Old Summertime and Summer Stock.

• Hans Lick says:

So who stars in the MGM version of the life of Stephen Sondheim (projected title: “Please Hello!”)?

And who will sing which standard, pretending all the time that it has nothing to do with a book-musical? Traditions must be upheld.

• Sanford says:

I saw C&M at LOC in the early 80s with Troyanos and Gasdia and it was thrilling. ANd there’s a stunning recording with Larmore and Hong which is also thrilling.

• J. G. Pastorkyna says:

I have never seen C&M. I have long had a Muti recording, early digital EMI, which I try to enjoy every couple of years. Impossible: two singers I like (Baltsa and Gruberova), in their prime, end up sounding like the Chipmunks. The sound is harsh, the conducting is Prussian. Quelle horreur. I should see if they have the Patané on Spotify and give it a try…

• Say June Jessy says:

Could La Cieca have overlooked a typo and meant to write “Turds and Music?” Mabad.