• cgambol: The first thing I listen/look for in a Puritani performance is the man playing Riccardo. If a... 2:58 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I’m not well-versed for writing reviews. The thumbs systems works best for me... 2:42 AM
  • La Cieca: Why don’t you go ahead and post your reviews of these future roles now? 2:36 AM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Ugh. DiDonato and her dreams of big diva roles. She already underwhelmed as Stuarda.... 2:07 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Alex Exposito told me that he, Brownlee and Di Donato will be singing Semiramide at the BSO.... 1:36 AM
  • Buster: One of the things I remember from Maria Stader’s autobiography is that she sang the second... 1:29 AM
  • irontongue: Camerena seems charming and has a good voice, but whoa, a lot of aspirating in there! 1:28 AM
  • Poison Ivy: I saw this again on TCM and it was so beautiful to watch, as always. The scene with Judy making... 1:16 AM
  • williams: “…But in a lucky break for both singer and audience, on April 3 the company announced... 12:58 AM
  • m. croche: “as close to a rock star as the Met has produced from its male roster this season,” Oy. 12:50 AM

Murder ink

Evgeny Nikitin has withdrawn from the Bayreuth Festival’s new production of Der Fliegende Holländer after a German television program revealed the bass-baritone has a swastika tattoo. His departure leaves the company with only three days to find a replacement for the production, which opens the festival on Wednesday. [via AFP]

• Marcello says:

According to the Bayreuth website Samuel Youn will sing the Hollaender (in addition to the Heerrufer). Sorry about my misleading post from yesterday.

Responsibility and what’s right/wrong are relative, aren’t they? Or at least, they are culturally conditioned.

Here is what a commenter on a French opera blog believes: The perverted spirit is not on Nikitin’s skin, but in the public opinion manipulators who are using him. Nikitin is a victim of the frenzy of the self-righteous and the power of the hypocrites. They have made reappear on the Russian’s skin a forbidden juvenile tattoo which no longer exists; they are passing the buck of their own guilt feelings to the other, the Foreigner. This scape-goating makes them (the Bavarians, I gather) feel good about themselves.

• brooklynpunk says:

“Here is what a commenter on a French opera blog believes….”

THEN AGAIN…

Are the French the “purist” judges of what’s “right or wrong” in this matter??

Anyone remember the dark years of 1940-44?…Remember “Le Marechel”Petain..and his weasely lap-dog, Laval?…and the thousands of French men and women who had no moral problems with collaborating with the Germans?
      (yea…there WERE MILLIONS of French people who suffered horribly under the Occupiers—BUT….)

• Arianna a Nasso says:

I see, so because of things some French people did 70 years ago, that means NO French person EVER can have a valid comment on anything that has a connenction to WWII. How nice that we have you to be the absolute arbiter on these matters and tell us what to think.

• brooklynpunk says:

You misread me, Arianna:

I never claimed to be the “absolute arbiter”
          ( whatever that means…??) BUT--just bringing up a FACT-- regardless of whether or not it happened 70-1,000 years ago—or just yesterday--

AND-- anyone ( the poster on the French blog) who can be so facile and dismissive of the troubled history of the not so distant past, has little-if NO respect, as far as I am concerned….

• brooklynpunk says:

AND-- it was more than just “a few French people” who committed fairly heinous acts during the Occupation, BTW-- read “Marianne in
            Chains”, or any of the books by Robert Paxton, concerning the years of the Occupation, for a damning expose of those years --( “The Sorrow and the Pity”, anyone?)

Brooklyn,

This poster was not around during the Occupation, and neither you nor I know who his parents were (nor does it matter, really). So you need a more appropriate and substantial argument against his viewpoint.

The argument against the poster’s viewpoint is that it is a ridiculously over-complicated piece of projection.

People don’t like swastikas because people don’t like Nazis. The end.

Just because something is complicated doesn’t make it null.

Obviously. And just because something is complicated, it doesn’t stop it being stupid, either.

Armer dixit?

*shrug* You asked for another argument against his viewpoint. Mine is that it’s dumb. No need to get snotty.

• brooklynpunk says:

Oedipe:

Your right--I don’t “know” what the blog-poster’s personal family history is--for all I know , his/her relatives were deported from France in 1942.

However, reading between the lines ( and I’m sure I am not the only “guilty party” in doing so, on this site, regarding any number of things, no?), I just got a very uneasy gut feeling in reading a French person’s ( actually we don’t even know if this person is French, so it might be a moot point), reaction.

I grant you that this is a very “hot-button ” issue fer me--and it is one of the few matters where, as far as I believe, that there is no area of “gray”--it is purely “black or white”--which might not be a rational response, on my part,,,,

Brooklyn,

I hear you loud and clear about that gut feeling. But I think it’s a mistake to get angry and/or dismissive about the guy’s arguments. IMO, such arguments should be taken seriously and analyzed carefully, because they are subtly shrewd and could appeal to many people (including some here).

One comes across such arguments and sophisms quite often today, especially (though not only) in Europe when discussing historic responsibilities. Simplifying things, I would say the new “trend” is to state/prove that everybody is -and has been all along- a victim. If we are all victims, then singling out the victims of the Holocaust is manipulative and an over-reaction.

Thus, Nikitin is a victim…

• brooklynpunk says:

Oedipe:

You hit the nail on the head, fer me….

The “we are all victims” line, in regards to the horrors of WWII, is one that I find particulary odious--NO— not EVERYONE WAS a “victim”--and there were quite a few perpetrators/by-standers/supporters/ , even tin the invaded Countries that the Germans occupied.

That was my only real strong response to the blog-post….

• Nerva Nelli says:

Has Reichsmaestro Thielemann exhibited HIS tattoos yet?

• DurfortDM says:

The Reichmaestro is said to be an admirer of Frederick the Great, a defense-cutting, French-speaking, music-writing, government government health care -providing, relidgiously-tolerant and (it is claimed, with some good reason) gay correspondent of Voltaire.

Can you find the relevant word in this music?

You would think that any singer worthy to sing Vanderdekken in Bayreuth would know how to pronounce Mädchen ! (as in “Wie aus der Ferne längst vergang’ner Zeiten Spricht dieses Mädchens Bild zu mir”). No, I don’t cut him any slack because he’s Russian. If anything, on German TV he should have been eager to demonstrate a knowledge of the subtilties of singing in German.
    Bayreuth#/beitrag/video/1689056/Heavy-Metal-in-Bayreuth

• Clita del Toro says:

I don’t know anything about Nikitin, his singing or his politics, except that I do find him physically repulsive. Yucky face. And it’s not that I don’t like hot, bald, tattooed, hairy numbers either.

• Uninvolved Bystander says:

He has already sung Wagner at the Met with Levine conducting (Fasolt). I think if he is anti-Semitic and racist we would have heard about it by now and Nikitin would have been unemployable.

Still, as I replied upthread, given his country’s suffering during WWII the tattoo was an ignorant thing to do, even given he was a young man at the time. Kind of like a Native American getting a tattoo of Custer.

Furthermore, at 1:24 in the ZDF video Nitkin delights in saying “good crazy things.” I suspect his delight comes from believing he has chosen the right word in English. Perhaps he meant to say ‘really crazy,’ but he is in general defensive…” [in the underground and world of heaby metal] if you didn’t have [such tatoos] you were not serious.” At that moment, his body language portrays disgust at having that side of his personal life invaded. The irony is also that pre-production video portraits of opera singers in general are very scarce these days and difficult for press people to arrange in the first place. They wanted a hook for this one than they found a dandy one.