• zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=5fZd gMXd82E& Galvany at 3:33 Who here can do this???????????... 3:38 PM
  • la vociaccia: She sounded, really, really bad though. I’m not arguing that she ‘doesn’ ;t... 3:32 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: How about this, mon cher Dabrowski? All wrong, perhaps, but not ridiculous at all. Exciting.... 3:03 PM
  • overstimmelated: There were comments on the amplification and balance by tancredipasero in another thread... 2:40 PM
  • laddie: Paul Curran has done several productions at Santa Fe Opera, three of which I have seen, the best... 2:39 PM
  • bluecabochon: There are enormous speakers on either side of the Met’s proscenium for all to see, fwiw. 2:23 PM
  • rapt: Wow! Thanks so much for posting this truly illuminating– ;and touching, I think–articl e. 2:12 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: To illustrate the phrase “from the ridiculous to the sublime”. httpv://www.you... 1:41 PM
  • Vittelio Scarpia: Paul Curran, the director who will stage the new “La donna del lago” next year... 1:37 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: Dabrowski, Your question, “Is the Wagner “heavier” and appropriate only for dramatic... 1:32 PM

Encouraging young things to grow

La Cieca has just reviewed the parterre circulation numbers and she is delighted and not a little perplexed to note that the day of the Great Opera News Kerfuffle provided our site with the highest number of pageviews in history, a total of 33,565 views in the 24 hours of Tuesday May 22. Thanks to this story and the WQXR drama a few weeks earlier, parterre is on track for its busiest month ever.

And speaking of the Recent Unpleasantness, the excellent Billevesées brings some insider knowledge to the ongoing discussion, specifically the relationship among the Met, the Guild and Opera News.

• SilvestriWoman says:

Congrats, divina Cieca!!! Though it has nothing to do with the Kerfuffle, you can add Mom to your legion of fans. An avid Met in HD fan in San Antonio, she turned to you for the most updated opera news. As she puts it, “I don’t always understand what they’re saying, but I’m catching on!”

• arepo says:

Mighty impressive.
    Bravo!

I always knew Signor Giallo would be good for something.

• Ilka Saro says:

Tu sei giaaaaaaallo. Come un moooooooorto!

• louannd says:

Thank you La C for posting the link to Mr. Madison’s blog. A new discovery for me, and another voice of reason. Congrats on the stats, as well.

Yellow Man’s gonna be jealous of those numbers, well deserved for La Cieca!

I enjoyed reading about William Madison and his blog. Is he still a go-go-boy somewhere? His authorized biography of Madeline Kahn should be very interesting. How I wish she were still alive to make the audio book version

• Sempre liberal says:

I do hope that JJ, too, was once a go-go boy. In any case, someone really needs to dance atop the long bar ‘neath the red Chagall. That would certainly liven up the long intermissions.

• To paraphrase my favorite Rossini opera: brava, bene, cosi si fa!

Justin Davidson: “After the Times’ Anthony Tommasini suggested that as chief executive, he might delegate some artistic control, Gelb called the critic into his office and told him, “I’m the director of productions”—effectively, Le Met, c’est moi. I accepted a similar invitation to discuss some reviews I had written for New York. On that occasion, he was willing to concede problems with certain productions. But now he has hunkered down and taken to bullying the very people who care most about the art form he is ostensibly there to advance.” See:

I wonder if JJ will be called into Gelb’s office.

• Signor Bruschino says:

Interesting stuff superconductor- and I agree re Die Agyptische being one of the best… and here is the question- Why is that directors like Sher and Zimmerman (and Des McAnuff (see Falstaff in Fall 2013)) get repeated productions, but Fielding has not been invited back at all…

I know these are rhetorical, unanswerable questions, but I like to get depressed before going to sleep at night (while chanting quietly Herheim at the Met, Herheim at the Met)