• EarlyRomantic: On this Thanksgiving Day, I am grateful for the myriad operatic artists past and present who... 10:51 PM
  • La Cieca: The way you sought out parterre.com, you mean? 10:30 PM
  • operadunce: Sorry, but I’m not in your kitchen. I don’t need to trash someone else to feel better... 9:40 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Well she is used to upstate NY wet winters. She does not look happy in the phot with... 9:16 PM
  • EarlyRomantic: As they say, can’t take the heat? Then get out of the kitchen. Renée and her record... 9:07 PM
  • antikitschychick: Pasavant, bless you for posting that! She’s amazing :-). Also, Jessye is workin that... 8:54 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=kUl2 XlUTd6w One day in 1977 a buddy said,”I just saw this... 8:27 PM
  • kashania: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=ea9K NQVArMs 7:58 PM
  • antikitschychick: Operadunce: Dont fret. Cieca is obviously jelly that Renee chose Rufus over her as a duet... 7:52 PM
  • coloraturafan: Pido was horrible! The music was murdered! And there was such a strong cast, it could have... 7:29 PM

Happy Birthday Birgit Nilsson

La Cieca (not pictured) wants to get a jump on this busy birthday season by offering a remembrance of Birgit Nilsson a day early. After the jump, a souvenir of one of La Nilsson’s greatest nights in New York (but weren’t they all?)

Highlights from the October 4, 1968 performance of Tosca, with Nilsson, Franco Corelli and Gabriel Bacquier; Francesco Molinari-Pradelli conducting.

Birgit Nilsson as Tosca

The cher public are as always invited to share YouTube clips of favorite Nilssoniana.

Today, I had every intention of listening to the webcast of Capuletti. I mean, how often does that happen.

When I got in the car en route to café, I turned on Sirius. Birgit et Cie. In a Götterdämmerung from ’62. And that day, I webcast no more….

Does anyone know who was Siegfried? Gut.

• Batty Masetto says:

According to the archives, Camille, it was (of all people) Hans Hopf. Not a name I normally associate with “gut” (at least not in the German sense).

The Third Norn / Woglinde was … Martina Arroyo! Roz Elias as Wellgunde, Dalis as Second Norn and Waltraute, Leinsdorf in the pit.

I’ll bet that *was* good….

It was DAMN gut!! I am surprised as well as what I remember of him — what little —is so-so and blah. Oh YES, these were Rheintöchtern mit cojones!!! Them ladies meant business!!!! For once, not a bunch of silly nixies. It made quite some difference and as Die Loreleien were creatures that lured and lyred mem to the wat’ry depths with their Wei-a-la-la-ing, gut denn…..

Even Gutrune (Gladys Kuchta) meant business. Hans Hopf, huh? I am really surprised. Alberich was a weak sister, however. Birgit sounded bitchen’!!!! Junge.

Thank you for looking it up Batti-M. Hope you’re not arbeitin’ too hard.
        Gratamente. Kamille Tee

• Nerva Nelli says:

That weak Alberich was Ralph Herbert. I have never heard anything well sung by him--yet there are good reviews on the Archive site for his early years. He seems to have been a Volksoper-style routine baritone. What sustained him at the Met for 8 years? Bing’s charity towards fellow Austrian refugees? Personal ties? Any memories?

Nerva Augusta,
            It could have been Ralph Kramden, of The Honeymooners, as far as I was concerned. Just nada.

He was also a terrible stage director.