• WindyCityOperaman: Unlike “Harvey Girls”, she insisted on doing her own singing here:... 9:22 AM
  • aulus agerius: I don’t know what the plan is in Baltimore. For their non-star Nabucco in a few weeks... 9:21 AM
  • armerjacquino: Yep, a few people in the front row of KING LEAR have spent the interval dabbing off what I can... 9:16 AM
  • armerjacquino: *shrugs* You can snob it up all you like. Plenty of ‘thinking human beings’ have... 9:14 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1871 playwright John Millington Synge httpv://www.you... 9:11 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Also, I was in the rush line with the mom of a Met children’s chorus member. Which diva is... 9:03 AM
  • oedipe: That Carmelites menu is ridiculous But no doubt the singing will be superlative. 8:54 AM
  • PushedUpMezzo: AJ,agree pretty much re the themed menus – but I do fondly recall Mrs Lovett’s... 8:51 AM
  • oedipe: Yea, well, the Met HD’s do show up for free too, a couple of days later… :) 8:50 AM
  • la vociaccia: Hmm. I thought Stratas, in the first two decades of her career, had a gorgeous voice. But... 8:44 AM

The respect opera is entitled to

On Nerva Nelli’s suggestion, La Cieca visited Lyric Opera of Chicago’s website, and it’s dire, my friends, dire. (Click each title of next season’s repertoire to see LOC’s “hip” catchphrase for the opera in question.)

• rofrano says:

Oh my god. This is right up there with “Unexpect Yourself”.

• messa di voce says:

“In the end, he just can’t take it any more.”

I never thought Polenzani would be much of a bottom.

• Porgy Amor says:

Those are really awful. I thought the cutesy BOCCANEGRA tag was going to be the worst of the lot, but then I saw the one for WERTHER, which is like something you’d read on a poster for a lurid 1950s movie melodrama. (Minus the exclamation point and the redeeming campy artwork.)

• tannengrin says:

I thought it was another one of La Cieca’s ‘Adventures in Photoshop’ with lots of tongue in lots of cheek, but, oh weh, they are serious! They must have hired the guy who usually writes the captions for Fox News!

• Baritenor says:

WOW.

• m. croche says:

Well, it might have been worse. I half-expected the Boheme tag-line to read, “Oh, it’s nothing. Just a little cough.” (Though Nicholas Cage’s character in Moonstruck probably still has the winner: “I mean, I knew she was sick -- but I didn’t think she was going to die!!”)

• m. croche says:

Some further thoughts:

“Elektra -- Where Every Day is Father’s Day”
      “Werther -- Get a Job, Hippie!”
      “Die Meistersinger -- Nuernberg Idol”
      “Simon Boccanegra -- Man Bites Doge”

• CruzSF says:

Good ones, m. croche. I especially like the Werther slogan. Maybe Doris Dörrie could direct?

I believe Werther did have a job waiting for him, he was a civil servant. Maybe he needed a REAL job though.

• brooklynpunk says:

M. croche:

I would NEVER DREAM OF really questioning you..

BUT—

WASN’T it.. CHER ..? (or HER character..) who said those immortal lines???

• A. Poggia Turra says:

My only question is why they used a drawing of Lisa Simpson with a brunette dye job for the piano concert…..

• CruzSF says:

I guess they’re trying to reach the over-40 crowd.

• Clita del Toro says:

Before Mommie Dearest there was Stella Dallas.

“Who said being in charge was easy?” Gelb to Fleming.

“In the end, he just can’t take it anymore.” Get out the lube, girls!

Older woman marries younger man, and she is he sorry. Barbara Hutton

“Here, kiddie, kiddie kiddie,” a new pedophile opera with libretto by Pope Benedict XVI

“Oh, to be young and in love in Paris.” Too bad you have syphilis and consumption.

The Big Sing, Renee’s torn up, stained score of Norma.

A Father’s worst nightmare: the alter boy who got away.

• ianw2 says:

I’m so pleased that noted opera star Lang Lang is finally getting SOME of the attention he deserves in the US.