• antikitschychick: Right but it doesn’t have a month and day listed does it? Last I saw it was just the year. Previously it was... 10:55 PM
  • LT: Russian wikipedia shows her birth year as 1975. 10:49 PM
  • antikitschychick: Interesting discussion about singers above; Cicciabella, I agree with your comments and with all due respect to Ms.... 10:14 PM
  • antikitschychick: Thanks for the suggestion NPW-Paris. That’s exacty what we were thinking of doing. My friend says she can find... 9:50 PM
  • laddie: Happy Birthday Håkan Hagegård! httpv://www.youtub 1HTDh0k 8:12 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: Oh yeah, definitely Team Oscar here, for precisely this reason. 7:56 PM
  • ilpenedelmiocor: My most hated moment in opera. Just try explaining the plot of this opera to someone who knows nothing about opera, and... 7:52 PM
  • rapt: My note was about Racette, btw (should there be any question….). 7:49 PM

Mouth feel

“The bass-baritone Luca Pisaroni, playing Leporello in the Met’s recent Don Giovanni, asked for vegetable sausage, said James Blumenfeld, the Met property master. ‘It was the most disgusting thing I ever smelled,’ Mr. Blumenfeld said. He added that the bass-baritone James Morris is known for preferring bananas when he is playing Scarpia in the fatal meal scene of Verdi’s Tosca.” [New York Times] (Photo: Ken Howard)

• Pisaroni loves dogs (especially dachshunds) and is a vegetarian: too bad he is already married…

• ianw2 says:

His dogs, Lenny and Tristan, seem to have their own youtube channel. Lenny is adorable. I suppose Tristan is alright, but I don’t like small dogs.

All the news that’s fit to print. Godis skum!

• Ilka Saro says:

Hans Peter Koenig was chowing down on chicken wings during Act I of Walkuere. He courteously put one on Siegmund’s plate, but Siegmund never stops talking about himself long enough to eat anything.

• Buster says:

This has been corrected now, but really.

• operaassport says:

How much more phallic could this get?

• bluecabochon says:

I read that article yesterday. Lots of fun. I would hate to have to be the food prop man!

M croche told us just last night, in the first act silence of “Silent Night” that those vegetable sausages are made from Pencil Shavings!
    Chacun à son gooooooooo.

• tannengrin says:

I myself can never tell the Italians apart. They all sound the same!

• Erdgeist says:

I feel like a bubble has burst. Sitting where I usually sit (where I can barely make out the singers, let alone their mouths), I always assumed the food was an inedible prop and the eating was make-believe since it would interfere with the singing. (Wouldn’t it?)

• Ilka Saro says:

You are right that eating onstage is notoriously problematic, and not just for opera singers, but for actors as well. The physical act of eating can be very involving and distracting. AND you are right that it might interfere with the singing. And some performers simply will not do it. That is why I was so surprised to see Hunding enjoying his chicken wings on Monday night. Many singers, including our James Morris, like bananas slices because they are very easy to eat, and rather innocuous to the throat and to digestion.

• Sempre liberal says:

So Luca Pisaroni’s sausage is disgusting-smelling?
        I would have imagined it to be thick and savory.

James Morris prefers to eat bananas that are easy to eat and rather innocuous to the throat? I guess that’s what happens when your vibrato is so wide.

One learns so much on this site.

• brooklynpunk says:

“So Luca Pisaroni’s sausage is disgusting-smelling?”

Maybe that is the reason he and Mrs.P only have dogs,,,?--lol!

• Lalala says:

From the video, you can see that it mostly is a prop—but there is a very small section of the cake that is real and the “kids” grab that morsel to eat before the huge feasting begins (on real food) in the final scene in the witch’s kitchen. I remember there being publicity at the time this production was new at the Met. I guess there was a some house of culinary that went all out for the production--there may have even have been a contest amongst pastry chefs. Details are hazy in my mind. It’s been awhile.

• zinka says:

I heard that set for Hansel represents a blowjob that would be given to the entire Republican Congress at the same time…

• mrmyster says:

No no, Zinka! That’s not “to” the entire Republican Congress, it’s “by”
      the entire Rep Congress. More than they deserve in my view!

• SilvestriWoman says:

I definitely know about the KFC! Back in the mid-90s, much of it often disappeared before the Giovanni banquet scene even began. Turns out a certain Donna Anna, after Non mi dir, helped herself to the Colonel’s crispy goodness… As troublesome as this was for the prop guys, it was far more so for the costumers, who routinely had to have her gowns cleaned of the resultant grease.