• "I was there – Vassallo has the charisma and acting prowess of a fire hydrant, so..." - manou
  • "Best wishes to You, Feldmarschallin! I am afraid You will miss the TV-Transmission..." - Lohengrin
  • "Thanks Phoenix. When and if I feel better I will post again. Also there has..." - Feldmarschallin
  • "I find it a little odd to be re-litigating the Schoenberg-Stravin sky wars in 2015...." - m. croche
  • "There was some personal animosity between Britten and Stravinsky, the Russian..." - Henry Holland
  • "Royal Opera House press release Due to serious family and personal reasons,..." - Resistopiu
  • "on Britten on Rake’s Progress – the music itself serves only as media for..." - phoenix
  • "I miss your posts, Feld!" - phoenix

La tisi non le accorda che poche rappresentazioni

Here’s something you can hardly call news, because it’s an old story everyone expected to happen anyway. Chronically brave Natalie Dessay has canceled tonight’s final performance of La traviata, leaving Hei-Kyung Hong to do the honors. The statistics for this Met revival, for those of you playing along at home, are: Dessay, 5.33 performances, Hong 3.66 performances.

• Anonoglinde says:

Is that small thing sticking out of the neckline of her red dress the microphone for the live broadcast audio feed, or the *if-we-don’t-discuss-it-noone-will-notice* body mic they make many singers at the Met wear these days, in order to sound more like your favorite recording in the house?

Yes, what they do is that they have these top-secret microphones and then they release publicity shots in which they’re clearly visible.

I just wish I could obliterate the image of that woman trying to impersonate Violetta. It’s just a hateful photo devoid of elegance, glamour and charisma. Looks like a woman in distress in a red dress screen testing for Hitchock’s The Birds.

• brooklynpunk says:

…ever consider --JUST NOT LOOKING AT IT…???

• messa di voce says:

What, and have one less thing to bitch about?

No way!

• warmke says:

If one didn’t look at the picture, one would would lack a current target for one’s misogyny.This discussion has gone so far beyond any realistic evaluation of the singer’s actual value (sweetly reminiscent of the discussions of Cheryl Studer)that I’m waiting for the suggestion that she be burned as a witch.

Witch burning or ritual human sacrifice, indeed!
            It never ceases to amaze me how irrational opera fans can be, and how eager to rationalize their irrationality with all kinds of shaky arguments…

Incidentally, IMO this is what Decker’s Traviata is all about: carrying out a ritual human sacrifice. A hoard of crazed people taunt, harass and victimize a vulnerable female target and, to a lesser extent, her lover. The father here is like an officiating priest. The fact that Dessay was such a wreck in these performances made things even more haunting.
            And it looks like the ritual sacrifice is continuing AFTER the show: it is as if Parterrians are eagerly hoarding to taunt and harass a wounded animal!

• brooklynpunk says:

Oedipe:

While it didn’t occur to me, while seeing the recent Decker production at The MET-- I REALLY LIKE YOUR take on what that production (might of) represented,… alot!!

• Rory Williams says:

For Warmke:

Rory, that was AWE inspiring! Thanks.

They left out only one thing: Leonie Rysanek as Ortrud. Too bad that.

• Rory Williams says:

ha ha, yes, Leonie was conspicuous by her absence! Glad you liked it.