• antikitschychick: Happy Birthday Batty! :-) xoxo. 9:23 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Why I am overwhelmed. Thank you all. Luckily none of you can see how unappealing I look when I... 8:46 PM
  • Lurker_del_Cairo: Oh, and PS – thank you Jungfer Marianne for the recording and Manou for the libretto! 8:13 PM
  • Ruxxy: Dear Armer if you live in the USA you live in a country which preaches human rights while allowing any... 7:38 PM
  • armerjacquino: I think a country which tells people what they are or aren’t allowed to wear, for any... 7:31 PM
  • Ruxxy: Racist ? Don’t make me laugh. The veil is not only a very primitive expression, it insults every... 7:17 PM
  • manou: Per molti anni dear Batty – you don’t look a day older than yesterday. 6:50 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Well, well; that lovely old song! Whoever played the piano for Katherine Hepburn... 6:06 PM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: Let me recommend a reading of Heidi Waleson’s review of Klinghoffer in... 5:58 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Where is the f**king “Like” button on this thing? 5:48 PM

Red all over

You’ve heard what it sounded like; now you can see Saturday afternoon’s HD of La traviata, thanks to YouTube.

OT, but I unwittingly just had my first experience of music by Eric Whitacre. I switched to BBC Radio 3 and I appeared to have hit a setting of the final moments of an episode of the Waltons, composed by a hybrid of Gorecki and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Barf!

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Monty -- having wiped the floor with Simon Cowell on TV this past month, maybe the Beeb is trying for the Classic FM constituency on radio?

• ianw2 says:

I loved your description of Whitacre. I’m surprised he hasn’t had an opera commission lobbed his way. He pretty much owns the choral scene nowadays (and he’s a TED speaker!).

Some of his stuff is okay, but he’s a working composer which means he churns the stuff out so he can eat.

ianw2 … Judging by Eric’s success he is probably eating caviar, truffles and foie gras. Hopefully, he won’t be listening to any of his music while doing so, or he will be bringing all that expensive stuff back up before he knows it.

• ianw2 says:

Oh its not that bad, but sometimes people carry on like he personally discovered the ninth chord.

I realise now that my comment may be unintentionally snobbish. I have utmost respect for composers who can live off their music alone, but, astonishingly!, they’re hu-man so the sheer quantity of their output means any un-eveness becomes even more apparent, as do their tics and standby positions (Glass is the prime example- how sad that there aren’t more easily named composers who live solely off their composition).

• Clita del Toro says:

Why do she names appear in red here.

• Clita del Toro says:

I wrote, why do some names paperer in red here!

Just a note: it is kind of interesting that DiCapo is doing Traviata concurrently with the Met. Anyone seen it? Just curious, but yellow.

• turandotti says:

the greatest traviata i ever saw was Villazons debut at the met with renee and dimitri

• Gualtier M says:

Cammy, I saw it. Replacement Violetta sang opening night -- Kristin Sampson. Sampson has a dark, large, mettlesome voice -- think Tebaldi or Caniglia as Violetta. Not the most graceful coloratura or silkiest pianos but in the later acts she scored. Tenor was mediocre, the Germont Michael Corvino has a good voice but sounded angry all night.

Production by Michael Capasso well-directed with good blocking. The production is period and simple. Worth seeing.

BTW: signs of sanity in the universe: Placido Domingo has withdrawn from conducting “Otello” at the Met next season due to “scheduling conficts” and will be replaced by Alain Altinoglu. Good news at last. “Alain Altinoglu will conduct next season’s spring performances of Verdi’s Otello, replacing Plácido Domingo, who has withdrawn due to a scheduling conflict. Altinoglu will lead the performances on March 11, 15, 20, 23, 27, and 30.”

Why, thanks a lot for the capsule review, Gualtiero del mio cor, and I shall keep her name in mind. Better that type of voice as that is where three quarters of the music lies.

I remember Michael Corvino’s early singing from about fifteen years ago--still at it? Someone has to do the angry Dad!

Al più presto!
        C.

• mercadante says:

I haven’ t seen the whole production yet, but it seems intresting and certainly does no offence to either Piave or Verdi. It seems to stress, or highlight, certain character aspects and themes at the expense of others, but seems well thought out and engrossing.

I felt Dessay was completely involved with the character, but tended to overdue some business. Her march of death at the beginning was a bit much. I realize it was supposed to contrast with her forced ” party face” , but I saw less foot dragging from the POWs in Bridge on the River Kwai.

Also, her interplay with the Dr Death/Dr. Grenville character during her exchange with Alfredo was intresting. But again, she seemed to overplay. There was no subtlety. It seemed an opportunity lost as so many other singers can put a lot into this exchange; irony, flirtatiousness, indifference, boredom, a sense of being imposed upon, curiosity, distraction, bemusement. I have seen so many different takes that were more intriguing, more thouht provoking about the character.

One moment, however, was pure genius. And I dont know if it ws Dessay or Decker; but after Violetta claims she is the goddess of pleasure and Alfredo says that he wished Violetta was immortal also, Dessays face frozevas she realized that she was not only not immortal, but dying. Pure genius, and a stunning moment.

• myworldisopera says:

The videos are now down YouTube… copyright claim!!!

• toitoitoi says:

I saw the Met Trav w/ Flem and Vil. and the GLORIOUS over the top set -- the mantilla or fan or whatever that drop of black lace from the ceiling was will stay in my mind’s eye forever. Zefferelli gets it.

Saturday PM: Dessay just cancelled after the first act. I wonder if she apologized or just had enough of all of it.

PS: Now, as Théâtre Shoshana predicted, the full Traviata video has been officially removed from Youtube.

• bluecabochon says:

I just read on Opera-L that Dessay couldn’t continue after Act 1 in Traviata tonight and was replaced mid-show by Hong.

So it turned out to be a well-hong show!

• ritazetti says: