• laddie: A very nicely done staging of the overture here, Robert Carsen, OF COURSE! http://www.yout... 5:19 AM
  • laddie: I was thinking the same…gloriou s voice! 4:54 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1900 composer Ernst Krenek httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=M... 4:29 AM
  • Lohengrin: Same! 2:11 AM
  • Lohengrin: “Acting withe the voice”: a very good description, of what singers should be able to... 2:09 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Just a few words since I am leaving here shortly but the last two performances in Salzburg... 1:33 AM
  • thenoctambulist: I played the videos and must say Anna has finally delivered in a bel canto work. All the... 12:33 AM
  • steveac10: “Well, if you are asking me, rather than just restating the topic: I want to see and/or... 12:08 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Well, if you are asking me, rather than just restating the topic: I want to see and/or hear... 11:04 PM
  • bronzino: PA: at the risk of having you think that I am ‘digging in’, I must say that this... 10:20 PM

The sorrowful précis

Brian Kellow‘s “Coda” piece in the current Opera News, summarized:

“I’m so cranky that even namedropping has lost its thrill.”

(Photo: Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

• danpatter says:

Marta Eggerth turned 100 years old today! Congratulations!

• danpatter says:

Oops, I meant to start that one about a minute and a half into, when Marta starts singing.

But for something really, really ODD, try this, which is listed as “Casta Diva.”

• turandotti says:

Richard tucker foundation free concert Tonight april 18 630 pm park avenue at 84.th street saint ignatius loyol

a churchurch. Career grant winners Including amber wagner jamie barton rochelle sorenson and others:”

• Arianna a Nasso says:

“a soprano, now in her 50s, known for her voluptuous bosoms…”

Dessi?

I have a complete collecion of Opera News from the first issue until the death of Jean-Pierre Ponnelle -- afterwhich I have not read or purchased a single issue of it and have no interest how the magazine is now published.

• Troppo Primavera says:

Nice to see that the artistry of the lovely Ruth Ann is being celebrated on this site.Her Semele,Adina,Antonia in Paris and Giulietta,also in Paris were all superb.She had-I don’t know about now-a phenomenal technique,and a deep musicality.Ok her Violetta was not an easy fit for her,but at least she could sing it,unlike Popsy and Dessay.Actually I always find Dessays intensity and concentration very compelling,but she seems to have serious vocal problems.RAS’ Cleopatra was also brilliant and a great achievement when you consider her health problems.So courageous.Incidentally,someone posted a snide comment about her husband.Pleeeeze!What has that got to do with her immense talent and pleasure she has given many,including some knowledgable posters on this site.

• decotodd says:

I absolutely adored THE ARTIST (my favorite film of last year) but did find the VERTIGO theme took me out of the movie for a moment. I turned to my companion --”Isn’t this from VERTIGO?” written over 30 years after the period depicted in THE ARTIST. Was a litle jarrring.

However, if you enjoyed THE ARTIST, Jean Dujardin or Connery-era Bond films in general, you must rent OSS 117: LOST IN RIO, also written and directed by Michel Hanavicius, clearly a movie buff. It is a hilarious and era perfect spoof of the 60s Bonds, with Dujardin an ideal blend of suave secret agent and inept blunderer. Hanavicius tosses in a great climactic homage to NORTH BY NORTHWEST, which takes place on the arms of the Rio Christ statue! In French w/ subtitles

• efrayer says:

For your reading pleasure: Met Episodes: The Queen and I. From an opera blue blood in the know. I’m sure many of you can relate.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Did the author pen this little emotional tryst after reading Times Square Red, Times Square Blue? When I see Sam Delany tomorrow I’ll tell him how his stories are reciculating amongst opera queens.

• Rory Williams says:

Oh, wow, was that a lift? LOL if so. But the good news is you inspired me to order TS Red, TS Blue, which as a card-carrying member of the ignoranti I had never hear of. Looking forward to reading it. Catching up is hard to do!