• bluecabochon: Klinghoffer director Tom Morris will answer questions live today at 1 PM EST at the Guardian:... 11:40 AM
  • Buster: Thanks for that story, Zinka. He seems to have a lot of fun here: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v... 11:06 AM
  • Cicciabella: Absolutely, MdM! The interpretation is sweet without being cloying. And such a beautiful,... 10:45 AM
  • La Cieca: Never mind that you think it would be cute assign to a mob of political opportunists the absolute... 10:32 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Cicciabella is there ANYTHING more wonderful than La Battle in Scarlatti’s Il... 10:27 AM
  • Cicciabella: …that would be Baroque Duet. 10:27 AM
  • La Valkyrietta: La Cieca, manou, sorry and thank you, respectively. No intention of getting out of line.... 10:26 AM
  • Cicciabella: I haven’t seen this documentary (hope I find time to do so), but Baroque Duets is one of... 10:23 AM
  • alejandro: hot pic. *swoon* 10:05 AM
  • manou: Oh I don’t know – I find it quite witty. 10:02 AM

The sorrowful précis

Brian Kellow‘s “Coda” piece in the current Opera News, summarized:

“I’m so cranky that even namedropping has lost its thrill.”

(Photo: Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

• danpatter says:

Marta Eggerth turned 100 years old today! Congratulations!

• danpatter says:

Oops, I meant to start that one about a minute and a half into, when Marta starts singing.

But for something really, really ODD, try this, which is listed as “Casta Diva.”

• turandotti says:

Richard tucker foundation free concert Tonight april 18 630 pm park avenue at 84.th street saint ignatius loyol

a churchurch. Career grant winners Including amber wagner jamie barton rochelle sorenson and others:”

• Arianna a Nasso says:

“a soprano, now in her 50s, known for her voluptuous bosoms…”

Dessi?

I have a complete collecion of Opera News from the first issue until the death of Jean-Pierre Ponnelle -- afterwhich I have not read or purchased a single issue of it and have no interest how the magazine is now published.

• Troppo Primavera says:

Nice to see that the artistry of the lovely Ruth Ann is being celebrated on this site.Her Semele,Adina,Antonia in Paris and Giulietta,also in Paris were all superb.She had-I don’t know about now-a phenomenal technique,and a deep musicality.Ok her Violetta was not an easy fit for her,but at least she could sing it,unlike Popsy and Dessay.Actually I always find Dessays intensity and concentration very compelling,but she seems to have serious vocal problems.RAS’ Cleopatra was also brilliant and a great achievement when you consider her health problems.So courageous.Incidentally,someone posted a snide comment about her husband.Pleeeeze!What has that got to do with her immense talent and pleasure she has given many,including some knowledgable posters on this site.

• decotodd says:

I absolutely adored THE ARTIST (my favorite film of last year) but did find the VERTIGO theme took me out of the movie for a moment. I turned to my companion --”Isn’t this from VERTIGO?” written over 30 years after the period depicted in THE ARTIST. Was a litle jarrring.

However, if you enjoyed THE ARTIST, Jean Dujardin or Connery-era Bond films in general, you must rent OSS 117: LOST IN RIO, also written and directed by Michel Hanavicius, clearly a movie buff. It is a hilarious and era perfect spoof of the 60s Bonds, with Dujardin an ideal blend of suave secret agent and inept blunderer. Hanavicius tosses in a great climactic homage to NORTH BY NORTHWEST, which takes place on the arms of the Rio Christ statue! In French w/ subtitles

• efrayer says:

For your reading pleasure: Met Episodes: The Queen and I. From an opera blue blood in the know. I’m sure many of you can relate.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Did the author pen this little emotional tryst after reading Times Square Red, Times Square Blue? When I see Sam Delany tomorrow I’ll tell him how his stories are reciculating amongst opera queens.

• Rory Williams says:

Oh, wow, was that a lift? LOL if so. But the good news is you inspired me to order TS Red, TS Blue, which as a card-carrying member of the ignoranti I had never hear of. Looking forward to reading it. Catching up is hard to do!