• Camille: Indeed it was. I, and many others who were there, will gladly attest to the fact. It was also most heartwarming to see her gven... 3:59 PM
  • armerjacquino: Long may Galliano be ‘without a great house’. Nasty little fascist that he is. 3:55 PM
  • bronzino: In the summer of 86 during a break in the rehearsal of Santa Fe Opera’s production of Agyptische Helene, we had the good... 3:51 PM
  • Camille: Oh thanks! Someone must have paid off Sir Walter as The Lady has once again come to our shores. I do so want to hear the ne of... 3:47 PM
  • steveac10: “I do hope Ms. Pratt makes a real splash. What an asset to the Met she would be. Damrau is moving beyond it all, and... 3:34 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: You want haute couture. Althought the great maison du haute couture have now closed. Valentino and St. Laurent are dead... 3:33 PM
  • Marcello: This was part of a series of 3 Rossini Serie, the other ones being Semiramide (where Caballé canceled) and Tancredi (?) which I... 3:32 PM
  • Rosemont: I saw Shrader this summer in Santa Fe La Fille du Regiment and agree with all of the above about him. Charming, nice looking,... 3:19 PM

Once on this regie

This busy production stumped just about everyone, though a name new to La Cieca, sm, ventured (correctly) that the opera in question was Haydn’s Orlando Paladino. La Cieca will take this opportunity to remind everyone we are looking for guesses only: no fair identifying a production you recognize. Shall we give it a try?

All right, cher public: what’s the opera here?

• mercadante says:

The Greek-key design on the costumes and the helmets seem to describe a Greek setting. Idomeneo?

• brunettino says:

Exactly. Mercadante beat me to it. Something about the ocean and costumes/desert island-Lost thing says a lot in that first pic. Then they’re waiting for the sea monster on a tiny little island (that of course represents the diminished state of Creta in crisis) to demand its human lunch; and then Elettra is getting carted off to l’Inferno, but as she’s already nuts she’s kinda digging it as she twirls her twirling parasol atop a piccolo Chitty Chitty Bang Bang machine that’s meant to be an Industrial Revolution version of the Ceraste and Serpenti.

• Hoffmann says:

I wanted to say both Ariadne or Alcina, but I got pipped to the post…

So I say it is one of the operas featuring Armida, be that Gluck, Rossini or Handel’s Rinaldo…

What ever it is the production looks fun!!

• Boris Sarastro says:

Guys, its obvious!!!!

It has to be Offenbach’s Robinson Crusoe!

Of course, not knowing the work well enough, I cannot comment on who is what…

• tannengrin says:

How about Monteverdi’s “il ritorno di ulisse in patria”?
    Picture 1 is some allegorical frolicking from the prologue? And that could be Penelope in the Eva Peron getup in the 2nd picture (Do cry for me, oh Ulysses)? And that cart in the 3rd looks like an airline serving trolley, so he’s arriving by Olympic Airways?

• jim says:

The Egyptian Helen

1. The sorceress plots
    2. Menelaus (in the red jacket) in one of his two moods.
    3. Helen and Hermione return.

• Sanford says:

I’m going to say Oberon because that Island looks like a swell place to sing Ocean, Thou Mighty Monster

• Batty Masetto says:

I dunno what opera it is, but here’s another picture from the same production: