• stevey: +1 10:49 PM
  • la vociaccia: She also has her worst tuning problems when she has to sing high notes that aren’t approached stepwise. Her soprano 2... 10:44 PM
  • JackJack: I strongly disagree about the Immolation Scene. I thought it was clearly the best part of the night. Her voice had warmed up... 8:16 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Signor Bruschino, my perception of the Met as an organization re: Levine is a little different. With the promotion of the HDs... 8:15 PM
  • Alex Baker: Goerke should definitely commemorate next April 1 with a Facebook missive describing how she is withdrawing from all current... 8:13 PM
  • Signor Bruschino: wow- ok, LaCieca, but I have actually in my years of posting given both sides of the argument. There is no question that... 8:01 PM
  • williams: Goerke is a mixed bag. Some thrilling moments but her voice, to my ears, curdles above the staff. That said there are few... 7:49 PM
  • grimoaldo: Hahahahahahahahaha Absolutely priceless. 7:19 PM

Once on this regie

This busy production stumped just about everyone, though a name new to La Cieca, sm, ventured (correctly) that the opera in question was Haydn’s Orlando Paladino. La Cieca will take this opportunity to remind everyone we are looking for guesses only: no fair identifying a production you recognize. Shall we give it a try?

All right, cher public: what’s the opera here?

• 22
    mercadante says:

The Greek-key design on the costumes and the helmets seem to describe a Greek setting. Idomeneo?

• 22.1
      brunettino says:

Exactly. Mercadante beat me to it. Something about the ocean and costumes/desert island-Lost thing says a lot in that first pic. Then they’re waiting for the sea monster on a tiny little island (that of course represents the diminished state of Creta in crisis) to demand its human lunch; and then Elettra is getting carted off to l’Inferno, but as she’s already nuts she’s kinda digging it as she twirls her twirling parasol atop a piccolo Chitty Chitty Bang Bang machine that’s meant to be an Industrial Revolution version of the Ceraste and Serpenti.

• 23
    Hoffmann says:

I wanted to say both Ariadne or Alcina, but I got pipped to the post…

So I say it is one of the operas featuring Armida, be that Gluck, Rossini or Handel’s Rinaldo…

What ever it is the production looks fun!!

• 24
    Boris Sarastro says:

Guys, its obvious!!!!

It has to be Offenbach’s Robinson Crusoe!

Of course, not knowing the work well enough, I cannot comment on who is what…

• 25
    tannengrin says:

How about Monteverdi’s “il ritorno di ulisse in patria”?
    Picture 1 is some allegorical frolicking from the prologue? And that could be Penelope in the Eva Peron getup in the 2nd picture (Do cry for me, oh Ulysses)? And that cart in the 3rd looks like an airline serving trolley, so he’s arriving by Olympic Airways?

• 26
    jim says:

The Egyptian Helen

1. The sorceress plots
    2. Menelaus (in the red jacket) in one of his two moods.
    3. Helen and Hermione return.

• 27
    Sanford says:

I’m going to say Oberon because that Island looks like a swell place to sing Ocean, Thou Mighty Monster

• 28
    Batty Masetto says:

I dunno what opera it is, but here’s another picture from the same production: