• Orlando Furioso: How curious that Rose Bampton and Helen Jepson share a birthday. They occupy the same niche... 8:15 AM
  • toitoitoi: Amen, armer and anti. “Sell their gifts”? Are you kidding me? No wonder you call... 8:11 AM
  • Ilka Saro: Title should be “Secret Woid” 7:56 AM
  • Krunoslav: Ingpen had many artistic crimes, but I personally would not place Shirley-Quirk̵ 7;s... 7:20 AM
  • armerjacquino: She’s not the keeper of a sacred flame. She’s a woman with a job. Maybe sometimes... 7:19 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well Fleming sounds gross there but better for this kind of venue that suits her personality... 7:14 AM
  • armerjacquino: Operadunce, parterre is a great place to be so long as you remember never to speak in favour... 7:08 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Anti I am not sure about Yoncheva and those roles. Every soprano is different and some who... 5:44 AM
  • RobNYNY: Joan Ingpen has ruined more evenings at the Met than any cougher in the Tubercular Circle. John... 5:02 AM
  • mia apulia: will someone please explain how this happened? it is so awful it is almost wonderful 12:37 AM

Who can that attractive girl be?

La Cieca wants to be among the first to congratulate soprano Ailyn Pérez, who is the winner of the 2012 Richard Tucker Award. This prestigious prize, which has been referred to as “the Heisman Trophy of opera” (not by La Cieca, of course, but is confident there are others who use that sobriquet) carries the foundation’s most substantial cash award, of $30,000, and is conferred annually on an American opera singer at the threshold of a major international career. (Photo by Cory Weaver.)

Brava, Ailyn! She is a lovely singer. I see her husband won it in 2009.

• Lalala says:

Congratulations to Ailyn—she is a very fine young singer who I have enjoyed hearing. However, it does seem that she already has a pretty fine international career (perhaps past the “threshold stage”) with appearances in the last several years that include performances in Salzburg, Vienna, Hamburg, Berlin, Santiago, as well as at La Scala. I think the Richard Tucker Award is a tremendous boost for singers and I’m happy for Ailyn--she is deserving. Perhaps, however, the foundation should perhaps re-examine the wording they use to describe their winners?

Lalala, you have a point there. And Ailyn did especially well to beat the up-and-coming Renée Fleming to the award.

• Fifi Figaro says:

Fleming was still something of an up-and-comer when she won it in 1990, before her Met debut.

• Clita del Toro says:

• werther says:

Yesterday the new season at the Hamburg State Opera was announced. Ailyn will be singing the new production of Traviata there. This is a very intereseting topic, worth keeping an eye on it, since the “old” traviata is a very traditional 1975 production and has cult status among the hamburg audience (Edita Gruveroba sang there one of the last runs). There have already been complaint letters on Opernglas, for instance, about the replacing of this production. Johannes Erath will direct the new one, so it´s safe to say that it will be a very modern take, with focus on the acting of the performers (I loved his Otello in Frankfurt -- worth checking the teaser which i dunno how to embedd :( ). Ailyn also sang in the old production this year. she was fantastic. kudos for her!

• louannd says:

She probably has done more Traviatas now than any other role; she has subbed for Netrebko twice -- in London and in San Francisco. She has done the Marilyn Monroe Violetta in Berlin where she also sang a Pamina. She sang Manon in Spain with Grigolo. The picture above is from Faust at Santa Fe, where she was outstanding along with that lovely Brian Hymel. Having a good director will be wonderful for her.

• Uninvolved Bystander says:

Four in a row for AVA: Costello, Valenti, Meade, Perez.

• Donna Anna says:

Great news and well deserved. She racks up yet another Violetta this summer in Cincinnati and that’s enough for me to overcome my initial respnse to sit it out. She’s a fine singer, a sensitive actress and a lovely lady. Felicitaciones!

• Loge says:

I heard her for the first time tonight in Poulenc’s Gloria with the Atlanta Symphony. What a great voice! She has a bigger voice than I associate with that piece but she was capable of such great dynamic shading. I am sitting here thinking of all the roles I want to hear her sing. A well deserved honor.

• RosinaLeckermaul says:

Perez sang the soprano solo in the Poulenc GLORIA with the Atlanta Symphony last night. She was a stunning sight in a bright red gown. More important, she sang beautifully. I can’t wait to hear her in opera.