• Buster: Larsson was the Waldtaube, obviously. 2:05 PM
  • Buster: Spectacular Gurre-Lieder conducted by Marc Albrecht. It was a longstanding wish of his to do the... 2:03 PM
  • Krunoslav: Margherita Rinaldi is revelatory as a light soprano Adalgisa on the Scotto/Muti pirate set.... 2:00 PM
  • Orlando Furioso: Nice varied bunch today! Gustav Holst is a fun composer all around, and I find his operas... 1:44 PM
  • The Conte: I have long been a fan of her 1969 “Arrigo̶ 1; I had forgotten that she had gone back to... 1:03 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I think my first ever televised opera was Don Giovanni too. It was a Salzburg video with Sam... 12:55 PM
  • 98rsd: Interesting that you didn’t say WHY it’s a ridiculous idea. 12:30 PM
  • steveac10: It seems more like it was because of the last minute cast changes. It really is a sad commentary... 12:29 PM
  • Maury D: The tone of this feels so…familiar somehow… 12:18 PM
  • SF Guy: I saw Berti’s second (and last) performance on Wednesday Sept. 10: he was adequate but... 12:17 PM

More news from the future

Here La Cieca has scarcely returned home from a very pleasant concert performance of Pipe Dream (feeble show, attractive songs, fine cast) and what should she find in her inbox but an alert from the Playbill Club. You know, that online service that offers discounts on shows that aren’t selling so well. But this is the first time she has ever seen the Playbill Club offer… well, see for yourself after the jump.

Should you Playbill Club members (and you know who you are) be interested in enjoying the 25% off vocal stylings of Nadja Michael, here’s the link. In the meantime, what’s your take on this latest bit of Met marketing strategy?

• According to the Met website the Varis Rush tickets are not offered for performances of the ‘Ring’ cycles. Guess they were counting on a sell-out.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Boo. I was so hoping for that. Will be getting into NYC Saturday 5 May LGA at 7:30 am. Any point in taking a taxi straight to Lincoln Center and queuing for a standing Rheingold ticket for that night? Or will the line already be longer than the tickets available by, say 9:00am?

FragendeFrau,
        I would so like to help you out but fear I may not be able to give you reliable advice, other than to ask you if you are bringing checked luggage, for that will take a bit of time to retrieve, and then the taxi queue at LaGuardia is sometimes very busy. Impossible to say if it should be on that particular day. Then the ride to Liincoln Center, well at least it is Saturday, should shoot down a good half hour. So, even if you arrive by 9:00 am, as you easily could, it depends on the nature of demand for tickets and as this is Das Rheingold, well, it’s not like as if it were Die Walkuere!! There you would be out of luck. I do recall a miserable experience from a decade ago of standing on line at 6:00 a.m. for SOMETHING, remember not what it was.

Also, is this the first Ring Cycle or the Second? If it is the second one, perhaps you would have a bit more chance. Guess you need to talk about this with rabid Ring fans, which I am not.

What about you entering that lottery for the weekend tickets, I just happened to remember?? Ask someone else about that or consult the Met website as I know nothing nor have any experience of this.

Anyway, I hope you get a nap in the afternoon and wish you a very happy and fulfilling sojourn!

Best hopes and wishes,
        Camille

• mandryka says:

You might try for a score desk, available now on the Met website (via Guild> Community>score desks) available for 25., no surcharge. They’re usually 12, so the Met is even soaking the score-desk paupers. Standing room will be 40 in the orch and 25 upstairs. Nice thing about score desk is that you almost always get a seat when the lights go down. Just follow Lois Kirschenbaum into the balcony area.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thank you all for the advice! and thanks to all on chat.

Yes, follow Lois the K., excellent suggestion!
          Does anyone have a picture of her with which to acquaint Fragende Frau?

• Clita del Toro says:

I used to see Lois in the good old days. I think a picture of her might scare Fragende Frau!

• mandryka says:

Actually, Lois hasn’t changed much in the last 55 or so years of opera-going. She is not especially more disturbing now than she was then. In fact, she has mellowed a good deal. (Harriet and Azucena are much more disquieting.)

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Frau, there’s no rush on weekends, only Mon-Thu, and no rush for season premieres. Weekends, there’s only the raffle.

• Boris Sarastro says:

By the way. The Met radio broadcast of Latonia Moore as Aida finally hits Australia today in about 12 hours for those interested (I could not find an appropriate place to post)

It will be available here http://www.abc.net.au/classic/

I know there was lots of discussion about it, so I just thought I would warn those who missed….