• kashania: I’m saving Winterreise for my old age but I do love many of his lieder. His instrumental... 10:54 AM
  • NPW-Paris: “Anyone who has seen Hallenberg on stage cannot but wonder in what kind of a topsy-turvy... 10:28 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I didn’t see Alcina: it wasn’t in my old-folks’ Sunday matinee subscription.... 10:19 AM
  • Cicciabella: Oops. The Alcina matinee is sold out. 10:16 AM
  • Cicciabella: @ NPW-Paris: I enjoyed reading your Tamerlano review and, having seen the same production and... 10:13 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Whn I learnt Poppea was a team effort, I wasn’t surprised. Until then I’d just been... 10:11 AM
  • Macbeths Honor: He was sublime as Ezio in SFO’s Attila few seasons back. 9:28 AM
  • Belfagor: Thank you Camille! The thought of the organ toned Nathalie Stutzmann as Penelope is a thrilling... 9:25 AM
  • Lady Abbado: Michael Fabiano: A new breed of opera star The star of this year’s Glyndebourne Festival tells... 9:24 AM
  • NPW-Paris: That makes it a very large fragment. People seem to love “Pur ti miro”, for example,... 8:25 AM

Happy Birthday Maestro Wenarto

Still going strong after (approximately) 1,500 YouTube appearances, Our Own Maestro Wenarto celebrates the anniversary of his birth today. A recent sampling of the oeuvre, after the jump.

• SilvestriWoman says:

A few of my own countless Wenarto jewels:

Butterfly’s Entrance (inspired by Matthew Bourne?)

Elvira in the Cathedral

Der Holle Rache (subtitles by Kim Jong Il)

Mozart While Chauffeuring La Caballero (was anyone else on the road aware of what was going on?)

Basta!!! There simply are too many…

• zinka says:

To my adopted diva,Wenarto, HAPPPPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I have my time machine ready…and we can together do that Puerto Rican duet, “Mira, mira,o Norma’ which I used to do with a friend BEFORE there was electricity..well..at least no youtube….

We can do it (a la Gina Cigna/Stignani)in the ORIGINAL KEY…I dare you to hit a real high C..never mind this Placido stuff…..

• Rory Williams says:

The Butterfly is my special favorite. I love the guy at the end of the line who’s texting at the start and then the clip closes with the camera zooming to a butt shot of him. Also love the Lowe’s insulation as the background.

• Clita del Toro says:

OT: Good news. Adam Diegel will replace Giordani at Wednesday’s Butterfly.

• zinka says:

Sad..Marcello is a great great tenor…why is he trashed??Take the bananas out of your ears..(Whose bananas?????)

• Clita del Toro says:

If deaf people like you would stop touting Giordani as as great tenor, maybe others would stop bitching about him.

• diva2themax says:

Happy birthday Wenarto!!!! The Butterfly entrance is the best!!!! I’ve cracked up over that video soo many times it’s genius.

• CruzSF says:

Happy Birthday to an ageless Maestro, divo, impresario, and stud wrangler!

• Tanti Auguri maetrissimo!

• Ruxxy says:

No wonder Maestro Wernato is always singing -- did you see the plastic doll he’s got parked in his bedroom?

• I am curious to know Maestro Wenarto’s age….

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

… and if he is ready to give us his Vec Makropoulos yet -- Emilia Wenarty, we cry out for you!