• williams: …not to mention whether to use head or chest. 8:21 PM
  • Porgy Amor: I was just reading some classic (giggly) Caballé vocal pedagogy in a Telegraph piece from the ’90s. Excerpt: “When... 8:19 PM
  • -Ed.: and seeing a great regie production of an old favorite is like having your lover surprise you with a new sexual position. You know... 8:18 PM
  • -Ed.: Video snippet of Callas rehearsing Norma in 1964. New to me, looks professionally done. httpv:// com/watch?v=8X1lT5 Lb8-M 8:14 PM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Armerjacquino, I’m with you! Caballe was notorious for applauding people after their arias. The worst was her... 8:05 PM
  • antikitschychick: I see. That makes sense. I draw the line at applauding at yourself/oneself. That I do find to be in poor taste; but... 7:45 PM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Oh yes, dexter he was just like those old-fashioned opera singers who didn’t care who else was on stage as long as... 7:39 PM
  • armerjacquino: It’s seen as saying ‘weren’ ;t we great’? Applauding is the audience’s place to decide that. I... 7:36 PM

Out with the auld

“There comes a time in every woman’s life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne,” says La Cieca (pictured, left).  As she prepares to bid 2011 adieu, your doyenne invites the cher public (artist’s conception, right) to join her in making a few resolutions for 2012.

La Cieca’s resolutions:

• Getting past the technical issues of the past week. (This should be accomplished quite shortly.)
  • Devising an “anchor” post each morning so early bird parterriani will have someplace to start the daily chatter.
  • Attending more and varied opera performances, not just the obvious A-list opening nights. (There’s more to New York than the Met.)
  • Reviving (at least on an occasional basis) Unnatural Acts of Opera.
  • And finally, getting some kind of surgical intervention on that unsightly wattle.

Great resolutions, all, La Cieca (especially the occasional Unnatural Act) though I’m sure the last resolution is an overstatement!

• Rory Williams says:

Oh, I love the idea of a Parterrian NYR fest. I can imagine a few for some of my especial faves and what they might resolve, but I (as an almost 100% lurker) would love to hear what people actually resolve, opera-wise. And, yes, Manou, OpNeo, Maury, Ivy, and of course LaC her/him/itself, plus so many more, … I’m a-waiting!

• zinka says:

To all you wonderful people…who make my life so happy ALL year…

Love from Charlie

• zinka says:

My New Year’s Revolution:

To stop calling Bing Crosby, Frankie Vallie, Perry Como, Fabian Forte, Vic Damone, and Patti Page DFD clones.

and if you believe that, then La Cieca sounds like Emma Calve.

• prunier says:

Bravo to your resolution to attend more varied operatic offerings around the city. In the past year, some of my most memorable (and afforcable) operagoing experiences have been at the DiCapo Opera Theatre, Gotham Chamber Opera, Regina Opera, Dell’Arte Opera Ensemble, Chelsea Opera, and Martina Arroyo’s Prelude to Performance Series. You might discover a star in the making. With NYCO’s offerings so drastically diminished, it will be interesting to see if any of these intrepid smaller groups can step up to fill some of that gap, and whether they will start to attract bigger audiences.

• Dawson says:

Another resolution should be getting the inestimable Ercole Farnese back on board. Where is he?

WATTLE? Better a wattle than a wobble I always say.

I want to express my gratitude to La Divina Doyenne for two things: first, the New York Opera Calendar, much improved, which has become my indispensable guide to goings-on of opera. No more rattling around looking for the goddam Met ticket service calendar! Secondly, the new Intermission Feature, an efficacious solution to those pesky off-topic highway robber barons, moi-meme included, and a solution for slow days.

The Podcast would be welcomed by me. I’ve wondered what had become of them.

Anyway, many thanks to many a fine soul out there in cyberspace who has patiently explained to me or provided information of a rare kind. It is truly such a lovely thing to have the opportunity to share my great love of music with so many persons that otherwise I would never have known!! Thank you for that, Cieca Mamma!!And I promise, as my personal resolution, to learn how to write even LONGER reviews--I’m thinking Henry James here.

Anyway, the Mayan calendar tells us the End is Neigh, so I guess we should gather our rosebuds while we may.

Wattles are wont to wobble.

And Wobblers often are Gobblers! And sobbing wobbling gobblers are sodden sotted silly bobblers.

Oh jesus! Where is Betsy-Ann-Bobolincka??!
        BETSY! Yoo-hoo there gal--it’s Time for THE LIST!!! We are waiting for thy manna to descend upon our unworthy heads, to gobble up the wobbly polliwogs of Treasure, no Fantasy, no Gilligan’s-what the hell is it—ISLAND!!!

We is goin’ for BA-ROKE tomorrow!!!

Pappano has just been knighted in the New Year’s Honours List -- he is now Sir Antonio.

• Hans Lick says:

Who’s your buddy, Cieca? Hot! Looks like Miriam Hopkins. (SO good in The Ordeal of Temple Drake!)

My resolutions are:

1) Not to go to EVERYTHING just because I’m adding another opera to my (bulging) list. Pick and choose. Even Don Giovanni slowed down eventually. (Peter Gelb’s statue knocks on my door: “I have a pair of tickets to an utterly routine Tosca in that production you love so much!”)

2) To be somewhat rational with my finances. And housecleaning.

3) To lock my heart and throw away the key.

4) To put together some sort of exercise routine in this aging carcass so that it does not FEEL quite so aging. Yoga maybe. Bike riding of a cert.

5) To get my play staged, my novel submitted, my poetry scattered hither and yon, and a few resumes out because one must eat.

6) To learn to cook as long as I’m eating. (And may have to renounce gluten again.)

Do get that poetry published, please.

I hope very much things are going better would that you will get a raft of reviews to written this year, as I always look forward to them and learn something new and of interest.

Very best wishes for a Happy New Year. Don’t throw away the key--you never know when you may need it….

• Hans Lick says:

…or do I mean The Trial of Temple Drake?

Also this, as I’ve just now been reflecting on this:

“Che non v’e al mondo peccatore,
    Cui non s’apra una via di redenzione,
    Sappia ognuno di voi chiudere in se--
    Una suprema verita d’amore!”

It’s Minnie’s own take on her reading to the ‘boys’ of one of David’s psalms. I hope that for you all, as for myself it always has been so, the pursuit of the lyric art is a ‘via di redenzione’--a way to redemption and that it leads to that same ‘suprema verita d’amore’--whatever that may be for each one of you.

Joyous and prosperous (!) New Year to one and all. I’m off to locate one of my finest old friends, la Grande Dame, Veuve Clicquot.

PAX et BONUM--

• erica says:

And I, the chronic lurker, would just like to thank our Doyenne, and all the parterriani for the daily delight you bring into my life as my home page.

My husband and I have been chronically whistling Wimoweh as we hike the Catskills this Christmas, and I am sincerely thinking of hiring the Nouveau Tight Fit as entertainment for his next birthday party.

• PokeyGascon says:

For 2012 I resolve to learn some basic Italian, besides menu items. I do so enjoy English and French opera when I can listen without reading the titles.

Thank you La Cieca and parterrians for providing this forum of almost limitless value, limitless to me at least, as I never have enough time to digest all of the information and opinion on offer, although I do try. I will not resolve to spend less time lurking on Parterre, because if it is a vice, it is my least harmful one.

Happy New Year to all.

To all our British Brigade, a Bonny New Year.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Might I suggest a theme for the (hopeful) return of Unnatural Acts of Opera? Considering what the Mayans have to say about 2012, perhaps some Apocalyptic Acts of Opera are in order. Or at least some apocalyptic anectdotes. Either way the return of the podcast would make this member of the parterrtariat one happy little opera princess.

2011 was quite a year and the entire Parterre experience has been a consistent through line during a whole bunch of transition. Broadcast chats, in particular, have become a wonderful tradition in my life (even as my long suffering boyfriend wonders *why* I must disappear for 4 hours or so once/twice a week). I hope everyone here has an amazing 2012 and, assuming we survive the end of the world, I’ll see y’all for the first chat of the leap year.

My instant resolution for 2012? Becoming ever more proficient in alliteration: Bitchy, Blatant and Burlesque! (Just kidding…sort of.)

In this vein, here we go for the New Year: an article (linked below) about Netrebko’s cancellation of her January 3 Baden-Baden concert implies that she will be cancelling other future appearances, including the ROH Traviata’s:

“Ihr Konzert im Festspielhaus Baden-Baden verschiebt sich vom 3. Jänner auf den 29. April. Auch die Gastspiele in Hannover (6. Jänner) sowie in London in “La Traviata” (17. und 20. Jänner) sollen später nachgeholt werden.”

As a reminder, Kaufmann has also cancelled his scheduled New Year’s Eve concert in Baden-Baden.

Fortunately, Johan Botha was available and will be singing for the Baden-Baden audience.

• Feldmarschallin says:

this is the second year in a row that he cancelled Baden-Baden. I do hope he recovers for the Don Carlos starting on the 15th.

• Bill says:

Netrebko has cancelled all her January scheduled
      appearances including some concerts with Schrott in Germany, and her two Violetta’s in London due to a foot operation as announced in the Vienna press yesterday. Most of the cancelled concerts have already announced new dates in April or in June as
      replacements but there was no notice of alternate dates for the Covent Garden appearances.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Oh FFS. Does that mean I’m going to end up with Jaho as Violetta AGAIN?

Maye Anna can do a Joyce and sing in a wheelchair.

• louannd says:

oooh maybe Stehen and Ailyn TOGETHER!

• louannd says:

I need to put on my glasses. Stephen Costello and Ailyn Perez, together again!

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Maybe, in which case I might still go- never heard Perez. But I don’t want to hear Costello particularly, I can’t stand Gavanelli, so if we do get Jaho too then I won’t bother going. And why on earth is Robert Lloyd doing the doctor…. Netrebko aside, it’s a really sub par cast for a Trav at one of the world’s great opera houses.

• Feldmarschallin says:

yes and Kaufmann has also cancelled for the second year in a row Baden-Baden this evening. I do hope he sings the Don Carlos here in two weeks.

• Ruxton says:

Mr Botha -- when we asked if you could cover the Baden Baden gig we didn’t mean…………….

Ps: Happy New Year to one and all! :)

• rapt says:

While we’re thanking, I’ll note for any who may not be aware of it that one concrete way to express our thanks to La Cieca for the delight she provides is to order from by clicking on the ad that accompanies this page. Percentagewise, I’m sure her cut is ridiculously small--but then again, what sum could possibly approach the value of the gift she daily offers us?

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Thanks for the tip! Don’t tell LaC but I have the adblocking software and didn’t know there was a link. I’ll turn it off the next time I order something from Amazon and go through Parterre.

Happy New Year, and thank you to you all for your patience with my many, many Fragen. I’ve learned so much here!

Same as every year- smoke less, run more. Sigh.

smoke less, run more. Sigh. ….out of those three, I’ll bet only the last one will be adhered to.