• luvtennis: Some miscellaneous thoughts. I just read a post on Opera L that states un-ironically, that... 4:15 PM
  • armerjacquino: Your post *is* a direct reply to LV- you can tell by the tabulation. If you had wanted to... 3:49 PM
  • overstimmelated: In reply to Feldmarschallin, isn’t that how the term’s always been used in... 3:48 PM
  • 98rsd: I never know where my post is going to go. I would have responded directly to LV if there had been a... 2:28 PM
  • 98rsd: or perhaps more than a bit… 2:25 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: Oh dear, had I known that my little post would be taken so seriously I would never have... 2:10 PM
  • MontyNostry: Is that Kevin Kline on the left in the Csárdásfürstin image too? 1:41 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well doesn’t every production have a Regisseur? In Europe one never says it is a... 1:15 PM
  • overstimmelated: “… it would be a reggie production” And a senseless one perhaps, but that... 12:49 PM
  • Feldmarschallin: Faites attention Manou. 12:28 PM

Mirror, mirror

La Cieca is just back from the HD of Don Giovanni from La Scala: excellent singing through the whole cast, strong conducting (if tending to the slow side) by Daniel Barenboim, and a smart, chic production from Robert Carsen that frankly makes Michael Grandage look like an utter bumpkin. The presentation will repeat here in New York (and elsewhere) in coming days.

• Iphigénie says:

“This season, you can watch nearly all the Met’s shows in the cinema; Angela Gheorghiu in Gounod’s Faust screens tomorrow.”

ROFLMAO!!! :D

• Clita del Toro says:

Funny ACD post on opera-l by Rich Lowenthal:

From the AP:
    “Congress today approved the passage of a constitutional amendment that
    would replace the Supreme Court with A. C. Douglas. This follows on an
    earlier bill that replaced the entire appellate court system with Mr.
    Douglas. According to the bill’s sponsor, ‘We’ve all been impressed with Mr.
    Douglas’s ability to comprehend the thoughts and intentions of any historic
    figure. The new system will be far more efficient, as he can give us an
    instant verdict, without the annoyance of other points of view.’ Court
    decisions will be announced on Mr. Douglas’s blog.

In a related development, the Vatican announced that Papal pronouncements
    would from now on be vetted by Mr. Douglas. According to a Vatican
    spokesman, ‘We’re still a bit embarrassed about that whole Joan of Arc
    thing.’

Reached for comment, Mr. Douglas, who was busy interpreting a set of ancient
    Ugaritic inscriptions, repeated what he had said previously, then added,
    ‘See how easy that is?’”

I don’t want to offend anyone, but I’m sure I can’t be the only poster confused at how many posts in the last couple of days have been dedicated to what appears to be a feud which has taken place on another website.

On behalf of those of us who have never so much as seen Opera-L, might I request that spats which originated there, stay there?

• bobsnsane says:

Oh, but it’s a good show --
        you might want to take a quick look.

• Clita del Toro says:

amerjacquino: why? Why not limit reviews to parterrians and forget the
        news-paper and magazine reviewers? The last I have heard, opera-l is part of the opera world and a major site for opera discussions. Also ACD does occasionally post here.,

Armer -- it’s like the Amazon function which finds recommendations based on what you have bought: you liked this feud, here is another one like it.

• poisonivy says:

LOL. ACD could also become the reviewer of choice for all newspapers. No need for opera houses to have press tickets — he knows without listening to a note whether the singers, production, conductors, and overall performance are in accordance with the composer’s intentions.

• louannd says: