• Cocky Kurwenal: I don’t agree about Haroutounian. Thrilling though her huge and very reliable top is, I... 4:52 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: That’s absolutely right ArmerJ, and I’d add that the singer might sing better not... 4:49 AM
  • NPW-Paris: My hair is not just grey, it’s white and has been for years. But I want to see the opera of... 3:42 AM
  • stevey: Flora, I’m so happy to have gotten your attention, and thank you for responding to my post. In... 2:19 AM
  • parpignol: totally agree about Haroutounian, extraordinary voice, beautifully suited to Elisabetta, and I... 12:50 AM
  • Flora del Rio Grande: stevey – I’d say you know plenty as regards Anna Tomawa Sentow. I heard... 12:33 AM
  • Porgy Amor: A deep bow of gratitude to Nestor Almendros, one of those DPs who is among the gods. And another... 11:20 PM
  • Krunoslav: In the cast of ANKLES AWEIGH was Janet Pavek, whose Met career 8 years later looked like this:... 11:19 PM
  • stevey: Zinka! I have long wanted to ask you about someone, as I value and respect your thoughts and... 11:01 PM
  • ducadiposa: Nothing truer was ever said! Odd, as I just commented on another blog about much the same thing... 10:35 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!