• peter: I think #4 is Astrid Varnay and #16 is Millo. 9:15 PM
  • CwbyLA: Can #4 be young Leyla Gencer before she developed the glottal attacks? 8:49 PM
  • CwbyLA: Camille, why do we have to find a bad byotch? Let’s find a bad man. Criticism of women that... 8:40 PM
  • CwbyLA: -Ed, you are not alone. I can’t stand the musicals either. 8:38 PM
  • zinka: Alfredo Salmaggi, Mar.4,1886 ,was Impresario/Conduct or of the Opera Co.we used to attend at Brooklyn... 7:46 PM
  • Satisfied: I love your love for Gheorghiu. I don’t understand it, but I love it. 7:23 PM
  • zinka: One of the very special places we used to visit and “hang out” for a long time was... 7:09 PM
  • pirelli: And I know a lot of people who say they hate opera – when really the only “opera” ;... 7:07 PM
  • Lady Abbado: 16 pics with Borras and Gheorghiu from the dress rehearsal for Werther: https://www.fac... 7:00 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Not illness. His Macbeths in Berlin were a triumph for him. Now on to Ernani in NY as... 6:25 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!