• Buster: Great clips, as usual. My diary lists a few more operatic birthdays today: Max Emanuel Cen?i? (1976),... 3:50 AM
  • MontyNostry: I was specifically thinking of a performance I saw earlier this year at a smaller, but highly... 3:21 AM
  • ML: My point, to Monty, is that Covent Garden has never in its long history — correct me if I’m... 2:44 AM
  • CurlyOperaGal: Does anyone know whatever happened to soprano Clare Gormley? I remember meeting her at the... 2:42 AM
  • La Cieca: So what is your point? That “Mi tradi” is such amazing music that it should be shoved... 2:20 AM
  • La Cieca: Say, for example, that the first act plays out from dawn to dusk and the second from dusk to dawn.... 2:18 AM
  • ML: Wise ass. That was not my point. 2:02 AM
  • Poison Ivy: I’ve never thought of DG as playing out in real time, the way Who’s Afraid of... 1:56 AM
  • La Cieca: Well, to be sure, Donna Anna cannot properly marry while she is mourning her father, which means... 1:16 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Heres a pretty long review of the ROH DVD: http://operajourna l.blogspot.co.uk/2 014/09/mozart-... 1:11 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!