• Quanto Painy Fakor: Perhaps someone who is familiar with the vintage of the vehicles can confirm the date. 9:24 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: But it was the norm to dress like that for the opera and it’s definitely the... 9:23 PM
  • baridave: And Baayork Lee. 9:06 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Why in the world would he want to sing Siegmund? Big mistake. 9:03 PM
  • Operngasse: Thanks for this well-written review. Maybe I’ll try to see a performance, although I doubt... 8:54 PM
  • Krunoslav: I think, in their pre-Met salad days, Charles Kullman and William Lewis could have furnished some... 8:46 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Fascinating stuff! I dearly regret that I just missed the opportunity to... 7:56 PM
  • Greg.Freed: Huh, well I’m glad Mr. Kosman was more blown away by Haroutounian than I was though... 7:47 PM
  • manou: http://tinyurl.com /nuez4gh 7:37 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Jagde is probably the most All-American looking Cavaradossi ever. Very GQ. 7:31 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!