• La Cieca: The 1954 Doris Day musical Love Me or Leave Me, which is based on the life and career of 190s... 5:30 AM
  • tiger1: Thanks for sharing, Zinka, really great singing – and the first time I have heard this cut... 4:30 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well sometimes those foreigners don’t want to be integrated. If you come to a... 4:28 AM
  • tiger1: There are LOADS of films about real crime stories, LMM. What about the family whose kid was taken by... 4:27 AM
  • tiger1: Well, not all of the column is dumb. I agree, for instance, that “The point is not that “The... 4:23 AM
  • La Cieca: So you’re advocating that Western countries should emulate Muslim theocracies? 4:20 AM
  • tiger1: Kashania, how did Sutherland and Bonynge know that the audience would prefer a too low lying... 4:15 AM
  • CwbyLA: Is this the best defense you can come up with Guestoria Unpopularenka? 3:40 AM
  • tancredipasero: Not quite the dumbest – google Mark Langfan – but it is really dumb. Choice,... 1:15 AM
  • tancredipasero: great typo, thanks!! I am pretty sure you meant “non-photoge nic” – the... 12:46 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!