• Carlo: The Met should bring back some of their great productions of the recent past: Benvenuto Cellini,... 8:59 PM
  • manou: Brava diva Rowna! 8:55 PM
  • manou: Completely OT and not even related to vestigial caudal appendages – but I just saw the prima of... 8:51 PM
  • mia apulia: yes, this is lovely and refreshing, thank you 8:46 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Temperament? Sense it? Hardly. Nice coloratura. I am sorry, she’s good, but neither her... 7:31 PM
  • Rudolf: Thank you, A. Poggia Turra, for posting these 3 YouTube snippets. To me, the most interesting is... 6:45 PM
  • Rory Williams: LOL @ Batty’s link. Syndactylism was associated with the Stuarts. Maybe Huey, Dewey, and... 6:36 PM
  • Poison Ivy: No, but the theory’s always fascinated me. It is true that Akhenaten was the first Egyptian... 6:20 PM
  • Poison Ivy: One irony is that prudish Victoria and Albert’s personal love of sex did so much damage to... 6:17 PM
  • manou: Have you been reading Moses And Monotheism Ivy? 6:12 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!