• ML: ” … this particular fight or whatever you want to call it” is the biggest debacle at... 3:19 AM
  • ML: The raise bothers me less than the 10-year contract. Nobody gets that. No normal board gives that. 3:10 AM
  • m. croche: So I guess they had nothing to do with the decision to cancel the Klinghoffer broadcast? 2:54 AM
  • La Cieca: Got to get the glasses checked. Three times I read that comment, and every time, it came out I’ve... 2:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: She will be doing Trovatore here after the Manon Lescaut. 2:15 AM
  • ianw2: This is really quite different from what happened in Minnesota. Minnesota was proposing a severe base... 2:13 AM
  • La Cieca: That’s an interesting question. My opinion is that Gelb is in the right on this particular... 1:34 AM
  • bluecabochon: Steve, there is so much propaganda and sheer ugliness being exhibited by the unions and... 1:34 AM
  • La Cieca: However Mr. Gelb is proposing that union compensation **and that alone** will solve the Met’s... 1:23 AM
  • mozartFreak: From this thread alone, I quote: “As I said in an earlier thread, this proposal is the... 1:19 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!