• tiger1: Miss Stemme, yes, but I find it very unlikely that Mr Pape will sing Hagen. But, of course, I could... 4:54 AM
  • ML: Starting yesterday, he is a member of Oper Frankfurt, with 2014-15 appearances in Bohème, Rosenkav, and... 4:04 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=YMB9 wW-bOSo 3:59 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1840 writer Giovanni Verga httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=N... 3:57 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well not in Salzburg Camille. The gratis thing is something you can do if there is no other... 3:03 AM
  • m. p. arazza: Gwynn Cornell took over Troyanos’s Cassandres (except the Sat. broadcast, which of course... 2:37 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well for those bel canto operas Dame Joan sang, diction really didn’t matter but if... 1:54 AM
  • danpatter: Has anyone heard anything recently about the announced Gergiev SIEGFRIED and GOTTERDAMMERUNG? I... 1:36 AM
  • Lohenfal: Liebster MMII, Wie lange fern! Wie fern so lang! Inspired by the one and only Mathilde (von)... 12:35 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Jungfer Marianne, I had no idea that there was another recording with Bruna Rasa/Mascagni.... 12:11 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!