• antikitschychick: You know, I didnt include this in my review of her performance on Jan. 17th but Batty is... 5:03 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Ah! Thanks Ivy! So odd, too, since Mme. Callas wasn’t in the habit of transposing... 4:57 PM
  • stevey: I admit to having a soft spot for Zampieri for most of the same reasons that Feldy and others have... 4:54 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Sorry for the italics fail. 4:53 PM
  • Poison Ivy: It’s the whole aria. You can hear the transposition before the aria. I think some CD... 4:52 PM
  • Batty Masetto: If you’re interested in a direct (though not crystal-clear) comparison between Meier and... 4:52 PM
  • antikitschychick: Bill, I echo others’ sentiments about your enjoyable anecdotes and how fortunate you... 4:40 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Thanks for checking that Mexico City “Caro nome”, Ivy! Is it the whole aria, or... 4:14 PM
  • Lohengrin: Had TS in München as Tosca, loved her. She showed a loving, warm and religious woman, also beeing... 4:09 PM
  • la vociaccia: But a lot of these young singers simply aren’t trained well enough to handle a heavy role... 4:07 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!