• siegmund: I believe she sang almost all of the big wagner roles including brunnhilde and isolde in places like London and Vienna. 1:43 AM
  • Bluebeard: A pivotal scene features that image, plus it’s the poster used by other companies, such as the ROH. It’s a... 12:38 AM
  • Poison Ivy: I saw the livestream. Opolais is a great actress, and a decent musician, but her voice really lacks any bloom. It kind of... 11:19 PM
  • WindyCityOperaman: RIP singer Lynn Anderson httpvh://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=2g0 f3_Gke84 8:59 PM
  • aulus agerius: Why do the WRITTEN ON SKIN ads feature tats? It’s not about that is it? I decided not to go, BTW, affer viewing the... 7:46 PM
  • Bill: I liked Ludmila Dvorakova a great deal – she had a Flagstad like warmth to her voice – very rich in the middle. She sang... 6:37 PM
  • luvtennis: I would have a hard time suspending my disbelief too. How can you kill nuns to music that’s this much FUN!... 5:49 PM
  • zinka: https://www.youtub e.com/results?sear ch_query=+ludmila+ dvorakova Sad..Died at 92 in a fire..VERY exciting singer!!!!! 5:26 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!