• m. croche: In re: “those men with the little white thingies over their noses and eyes”. In Beijing opera, there are four... 12:04 PM
  • Tory Adore: Aleatoric opera- John Cage missed an opportunity here. 11:07 AM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=dPDs NTXuozc Booohooo.Charlie&# 8230;.She slowly rose from the chair…came forward... 10:39 AM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=oh1N cDiuA70 LOVED that voice…..Hey. .Hold the last note!!!! 9/6/30 birthday/ Melted us... 10:24 AM
  • armerjacquino: Damrau’s version on her recent album is terrific. 10:16 AM
  • Often admonished: it doesn’t seem like an extremely demanding song The breath control required to phrase it properly has defeated a... 10:11 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Valla Allah! as my Turkish friends might say. 4:21 AM
  • NPW-Paris: So, in response to a qustion on anther thread about languages on this site, some Chinese is also allowed! 4:19 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!