• liza: Speaking of technology…I apologize for writing via I-Phone where editing is impossible. Among my... 11:43 AM
  • arepo: A prediction: I believe that many dissenters will buy tickets to the normally light ticket sell due... 11:42 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Beverly Sills’ “BeverlyR 21; is certainly not boring. Now whether you’ll... 11:40 AM
  • peter: Unfortunately, I think European anti-Semitism is more than just anecdotal: http://www.nyti... 11:29 AM
  • La Cieca: Maybe a rocket scientist would realize that anecdotes reported by your (like-minded)... 11:21 AM
  • liza: Very relevant! More to consider and discuss. 11:14 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Me three! 11:10 AM
  • Hans Lick: Interesting. I note (but perhaps these notes are not relevant?): 1. When Auber and Scribe wrote... 11:07 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Actually, manou, after replying to ML, this crossed my mind as well. Perhaps subconsciously I... 11:05 AM
  • 98rsd: operaassport: “Much of Europe’s pro-Palestinian feeling is thinly veiled anti-Semitism.R 21;... 11:04 AM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!