• Henry Holland: Thanks for the heads up, I’ll give it a listen this weekend. 1:57 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: OK – this cements it: I am officially changing the cast and date on my Mixcloud page and removing... 1:44 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Listen to her Leonore from Wiener Staatsoper in June at my Mixcloud page and judge for yourself.... 1:39 AM
  • Cicciabella: Soffel is not the youngest of singers. Making allowances for that, I liked what she did with the text. No-one was anywhere... 1:11 AM
  • dr.malatempra: Indeed, the finest Verdi baritone singing I have heard since the prime of Cornell Macneil or the young,(Goldovsky Opera... 12:52 AM
  • Rosemont: Thank you for the reports and reviews from Santa Fe! I will be there for the first time first week of August…und freue... 12:25 AM
  • Lohenfal: Sure, but as I said, they (or others) may not be available. These singers are signed up way in advance. One never knows what... 12:11 AM
  • Sanford: She is terrific but the men are pretty awful, especially the tenor. The other voice I liked was Margareta Elkins. 11:34 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!