• NPW-Paris: … oops, I hadn’t finished! … but doesn’t meet them, it was a very special... 1:23 AM
  • NPW-Paris: “EarnestR 21;. That is very well put. I may quote you on that. Even so,and despite a very... 1:22 AM
  • la vociaccia: Few things here: I’m done with the “give her time” meme. The time to hope... 12:35 AM
  • warmke: A bit harsh. Typical American schooled singer, more focused on evenness of resonance than the curve... 11:23 PM
  • Camille: Just now, remembering how well Poplavskaya played Elisabeth’s scene. I won’t see that... 11:23 PM
  • whiskey per tutti: You are correct. It had the imprimatur of the Kurt Weill Foundation. Conducted by Julius... 10:46 PM
  • warmke: Damned AutoCorrect. 10:32 PM
  • warmke: He was, according to many inside reports, asked to retire from Washington National Opera, which he... 10:31 PM
  • PCally: yeah that’s probably the role for her, and I would like to see how she would act it. 10:25 PM
  • PCally: Her foreign princess wasn’t bad as all that, at least on the night I saw it. I thought it was... 10:23 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!