• Clita del Toro: IVY: So, you don’t get Sayao. I personally love the little touches she puts into the... 4:22 PM
  • kashania: I’m not totally enamoured of Sayao either. In the Met Rigoletto broadcast, Warren and... 4:15 PM
  • Dabrowski: I’d be pretty surprised if Peter Gelb agreed to any of this without first checking with his... 4:13 PM
  • Dabrowski: Um, operaassport, you do realize that “bargaining unit” is not the same as... 4:12 PM
  • kashania: I don’t think it’s been filmed (I don’t think Bayreuth ever films a cycle in its... 4:11 PM
  • kashania: I agree. AGMA came out better than Met management. The savings will help for sure, but not enough... 4:10 PM
  • tannengrin: Is that a still from the “Castorf Ring” Rheingold? Has that been made available on... 4:08 PM
  • Dabrowski: There’s a me-too at E2b, a sure indication that AGMA and AFM are the more powerful of the... 4:05 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Thanks so much for these uploads! They are very interesting. I listened to the first broadcast... 4:03 PM
  • luvtennis: While it is clear that the crisis is past, I would not want to be the lawyer charged with drafting... 3:59 PM

Frequent flier

Leave it to those Torontonians to blow the lid off an opera story happening in New York! (Goodness knows the local journalists don’t bother.) Did you know that Des McAnuff has been jetting between New York and the west coast,  simultaneously directing Faust and Jesus Christ Superstar respectively? Or that future Met seasons will include a Robert Lepage production of The Tempest and McAnuff’s Falstaff? We really do need to get those deucedly clever Canadians cracking on that Citigroup settlement story! [Toronto.com]

• phoenix says:

? ????!

• perfidia says:

I love the picture with this post. I think a lot of Twilight Zone episodes would make for great short operas.

• brooklynpunk says:

perfida:

I LOVE that idea.. as being both an Opera ..AND.. TZ fanatic..!!

The “Olyimpa” Act of “Tales” always makes me think of the “Talky Tina” episode of “TZ”-- and both always scare me..!--lol!

• perfidia says:

I would love to see an opera version of “Nothing in the Dark,” the one where Robert Redford plays Death. The old lady could be a great part for asinging actress. And “Time Enough at Last” could be devastating as a monodrama.

• brooklynpunk says:

“The Eye of the Beholder” might work well for one of Peter Gelb’s pretty, young singers, no..?

• m. croche says:

I think Maxwell Davies’ “The Lighthouse” qualifies…

• perfidia says:

But I don’t think Gelb believes in the message of “The Eye of the Beholder.” To him, thin, young and pretty are universal across the whole multiverse.

• BillyBoy says:

The article cited is the work of just one Canadian…at least I imagine he’s Canadian now though he’s a native New Yorker!