• Buster: Bradic is indeed wonderful. She was in the ensemble in Antwerp a few years ago – saw her in... 4:30 PM
  • phoenix: I didn’t need another NYT Clinton endorsement, but read the article and enjoy it –... 4:29 PM
  • PushedUpMezzo: I was at one of the Dresden performances and she certainly convinced me. In fact, having heard... 4:16 PM
  • manou: http://opernnetz.d e/seiten/rezension en/dre_tri_hoe_131 116.htm 4:15 PM
  • PCally: The one review I read was decidedly mixed, after which I read that she canceled the Bayreuth Isolde.... 4:09 PM
  • Gualtier M: Hey Broken Record: The Richard Tucker Prize goes to a young AMERICAN singer. ALWAYS. (I know I... 4:08 PM
  • Thingsaregettingbetterdownhere: orestes: The boys can’t keep up with Goerke-Mattila-Bar ton, but that... 4:03 PM
  • turings: I’m glad they’re featuring Katarina Bradic in Amor vien dal destino. I don’t know... 3:51 PM
  • orestes: I’m going to Walkure on Thursday and can’t wait to hear her. She wowed me as Adalgisa,... 3:44 PM
  • uwsinnyc: Good points. I find her interesting but she doesn’t give me goosebumps and the voice never... 3:11 PM

“Lehman’s Syndrome” bewilders medical establishment

From the Met press office: “Jay Hunter Morris will sing the role of Siegfried in Siegfried on April 21 matinee and April 30, 2012, and in Götterdämmerung on May 3, 2012. He replaces Gary Lehman who has withdrawn due to illness.”

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Don’t understand the snide comments about what may be a serious illness.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any news of Bruce Ford? This is a tenor I only learned of from youtube, and I loved his past work. But I have never caught him live, and I heard he was sick (he was sched. for the Armidas at the Met 2 yrs ago, but withdrew). Just wondering if he’s ok, and whether his career is effectively over.

• semira mide says:

Bianca, I emailed Bruce Ford when I learned that he had withdrawn from Armida. I believe someone had commented that he was seriously ill. I simply wrote how much I have enjoyed his work and wished him well.
      He graciously answered ( I’m not anybody “important” so I wasn’t expecting a reply)He wrote that he was not going to sing again. It is very sad. I think the Armida from Amsterdam is quite stunning and I’m sorry I never got hear him in person.

• brooklynpunk says:

Semira:

I am quite sad , reading that concerning Bruce Ford

I have admired , for a long time, the work(s) he has done on many Opera Rara recordings.

I wish him all the best.

I saw Bruce Ford many times in London and Switzerland, he was indeed wonderful.

From his website :

“Mr. Ford has now retired from the Opera and Concert stage and is now teaching voice and stage deportment.  Anyone interested in studying with him can get in contact at TenorBruceFord@gmail.com  ”

• semira mide says:

Maybe we should send all tenors wishing to sing Rossini to him! BTW Manou,what did you hear him sing?

Mitridate, Almaviva, Lindoro (Italiana with Marilyn Horne),Otello (Rossini), all at Covent Garden; I also saw him in Ermione at Glyndebourne (with Anna Caterina Antonacci), and again in the Barber of Seville in Geneva.

And that’s just off the top of my head.

• operaguy says:

I saw Ford here in Baltimore in 2006 (Siege of Corinth) and, though he is an artist I greatly admired -- he was in pretty bad vocal condition at the performance I heard. It sounded like the voice was, more or less, shot. Sad, but he is not the first tenor to start downhill at age 50.

• Bianca Castafiore says:

Darlings, mille grazie for all this information. Manouesque, you are so lucky to have caught so many performances with him. Well, I only know him from youtube, but I loved many of those selections. The Ermione with Antonacci sounds great. Sorry to hear that his career is effectively over but glad that he’s teaching and able to pass his knowledge on.