• WindyCityOperaman: Unlike “Harvey Girls”, she insisted on doing her own singing here:... 9:22 AM
  • aulus agerius: I don’t know what the plan is in Baltimore. For their non-star Nabucco in a few weeks... 9:21 AM
  • armerjacquino: Yep, a few people in the front row of KING LEAR have spent the interval dabbing off what I can... 9:16 AM
  • armerjacquino: *shrugs* You can snob it up all you like. Plenty of ‘thinking human beings’ have... 9:14 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1871 playwright John Millington Synge httpv://www.you... 9:11 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Also, I was in the rush line with the mom of a Met children’s chorus member. Which diva is... 9:03 AM
  • oedipe: That Carmelites menu is ridiculous But no doubt the singing will be superlative. 8:54 AM
  • PushedUpMezzo: AJ,agree pretty much re the themed menus – but I do fondly recall Mrs Lovett’s... 8:51 AM
  • oedipe: Yea, well, the Met HD’s do show up for free too, a couple of days later… :) 8:50 AM
  • la vociaccia: Hmm. I thought Stratas, in the first two decades of her career, had a gorgeous voice. But... 8:44 AM

The look your heart can’t disguise

In what is without doubt the final chapter of their on-again, off-again romance, Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna are on again, she says.

If ever a poster cried out for a photoshop…

• La Cieca says:

An ideal vehicle for the Alagnas:

• Nerva Nelli says:

The Alagnas could do George and Martha *tomorrow*-- it’s a question of drinky-poos and Getting the Guests.

• Signor Bruschino says:

Can Teddy Tahu Rhodes play Nick? and Anna Netrebko as Honey just for the fights that AG would cause!

• Ruxxy says:

When Boom came out some of the local reviewers said “not so much a boom as a pop”- but seeing this trailer makes me want to see it just to check if it is as awful as it looks. I wonder if Noel Coward goes around saying “teddibly teddibly” all the time…..

• papopera says:

Angela & Roberto are married, she should submit to, return to and obey her cute Corsican husband.

• Gualtier M says:

Putting aside the whole love, honor and obey idea -- those marriage vows have been bent, broken and twisted by the Alagnas for many years now. There is no Corsican cute or otherwise involved here -- unless Ms. Gheorghiu married Cesar Vezzani, Jose Luccioni, Tino Rossi or Tibere Raffalli. Mr. Alagna is French/Sicilian, leave Corsica out of it.

• papopera says:

damn. he’s born in Clichy, always thought he was from Ajaccio.

• Regina delle fate says:

Ah -- Tibère Raffalli, a handsome man when he was young, I recall. Slightly nasal voice, but we would probably love him now in French opera….

• Ruxxy says:

YES papopera -- he should also beat her until she promises to get rid of that mullet-bouffant combo hairstyle too!

• Erdgeist says:

This interview makes it seem crazy and endearing, as opposed to just crazy (which of course could be clever manipulation on her side). And hats off for this:

But she bristles at the suggestion that the marriage was a career booster. “My career is not related to any man, thank God!”

But, my question: in the comments, someone says that the ROH charges premiums when performances feature certain artists. Is that the case? (And is that the case elsewhere? Other than galas and opening nights and weekends, prices at the Met don’t fluctuate, I don’t think.)

Yes, prices at the ROH are totally dependent on the popularity of the work and the starriness of the cast.

• Often admonished says:

i.e. what they think they can get away with

• Regina delle fate says:

Are they charging more for the two Netrebko Traviatas than for Marina Pop, Ermonela and Ailyn Perez? They seem to be the only performances which have sold out….

• CruzSF says:

It’s not regular policy at SFO, as far as I can tell, but prices were higher than normal for all performances of Lucrezia with Fleming this year.

• Regina delle fate says:

It’s may be just a coincidence, but Bob and Ange often seem to have a reconciliation around the time she has a new record to sell. Or am I just being completely cynical?

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Dusty! I love that song so much.

• zinka says:

Oh.give us a break Angela…….You may not be audible in the house but at least get a better wig.