• armerjacquino: Where did you get that quote from, btw? The only google match I can find is from the... 1:08 PM
  • m. croche: My humble recommendation would be to swap in La Dame blanche occasionally for L’Elisir or La... 1:08 PM
  • armerjacquino: Fun story. He was happy to make a film of it, mind. http://www.amazon. co.uk/La-Forza-... 1:07 PM
  • bronzino: I snooze through the mediocre writing of Act II… 1:01 PM
  • NPW-Paris: More seriously, I enjoyed it at the Opéra Comique in 2012. “Never a dull moment” I... 1:00 PM
  • bronzino: I agree with you that F is pretty far down the list of the maestro’s creations. “The... 12:59 PM
  • NPW-Paris: There’s even a Métro station called “La Muette”. 12:53 PM
  • armerjacquino: Frank Lopardo’s FB page makes interesting reading, especially for those who thought... 12:45 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Thanks for those fun options coloraturafan! Of course, when Netrebko sings Mimi, no Option... 12:42 PM
  • armerjacquino: ‘realismR 17; v ‘hysteria 217;. Got it. 12:37 PM

Surgery for Kaufmann

Jonas Kaufmann has canceled a tour to Japan with the Teatro Comunale di Bologna in September in order to schedule surgery to remove a “node” from his chest. [Intermezzo]

• mia apulia says:

Let’s hope for it’s not malignant and there is a rapid and complete recovery. I know someone who sang unimpaired for many years after almost half of one lung was removed for a non-malignant tumor. The human body can be amazingly resilient.

• FragendeFrau82 says:

I guess the BSO Japan tour is off too, not surprisingly. Will be praying for swift and complete recovery, that we may be blessed with that lovely voice for many years to come.

Did anyone else think that was a really good letter? I don’t know who wrote it, but I’m saving a copy for inspiration should I ever need to write a letter to someone I’ve disappointed. The English was well done; actually, the English version of JK’s official website is outstanding compared to some other English versions of German websites I’ve read.

Aren’t “nodes” generally a type of growth and isn’t that word used mostly in reference to the vocal folds, or cords, whichever? The idea of “nodes” in the “thoracic” area has me a bit flummoxed, unless they are avoiding letting the public know he actually has vocal nodes or, far worse, lung cancer, and are skirting the issue in this manner with this rather generalized information.

In whatever case, I am hoping that Herr Kaufmann will have the best of doctors and be surrounded by those who love and care for him, and be given sufficient recovery time so as to heal properly and not rushed back into a heavy rehearsal and performing schedule. This is very alarming.

• louannd says:

Perhaps he is having a “lymph” node removed and examined? Don’t really know anything about lymph nodes in the thoracic region except that there are quite a few of them.

[img]http://parterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/14532W.jpg[/img]

Okay, Lou! that at least explains something to me. Let’s hope that it is no more than that and not a node on the vocal apparatus.

Love the pictures!

• Loge says:

The word node can indeed refer to vocal cord nodules but they are not in the thoracic area. Node can refer to a mass in the chest or mediastinum. It sounds as if they are referring to a mass they have seen on a chest x-ray or ct scan. The seeming immediacy implies there is some suspicion of malignancy. Many things can cause nodes in the chest--infection (maybe even a long past infection), tumors (malignant or non-malignant). Heck, sometimes one is there for no reason. They are short on details and I think that is proper especially at this early stage. I just hope and pray the procedure goes well and that it is not too invasive and that the pathology is nothing bad. (I tell my patients not to panic--I will tell them when it is time to panic.)
      Dr. Loge

• rofrano says:

Just a third nipple, guys. Don’t worry!

• Loge says:

This stream reminded me of a time I was in La Casa di Cieca chatting. I commented that I had to go to bed as I had surgery in the morning. I received an enormous wave of concern and caring which made me feel sooooo good. I hated to mention that I was the one DOING the surgery in the morning. I though La Cieca would enjoy knowing what magnificent caring people frequented her chatrooms.

NO, the Munich Opera is still en route to or alredy in Japan, but today they announced the substitution of Botha for Kaufmann:

In den Vorstellungen von Richard Wagners Lohengrin am 25. und 29. September sowie am 2. Oktober 2011 wird Johan Botha die Titelpartie anstelle von Jonas Kaufmann im Rahmen der Japan-Tournee der Bayerischen Staatsoper singen. Jonas Kaufmann muss sich einer unaufschiebbaren Operation unterziehen und bedauert zutiefst, die Japan-Reise absagen zu müssen. Kaufmann in einem Brief an seine Japanischen Fans: „Ich hatte mich sehr darauf gefreut, wieder nach Japan zu kommen, und ich versichere Euch, dass diese Entscheidung nichts mit der schwierigen Situation zu tun hat, in der Ihr Euch seit Monaten befindet. Tatsache ist, dass ich mich einer Operation unterziehen muss: Ein Knoten im Brustbereich muss entfernt werden. Ich möchte niemanden mit dieser Nachricht beunruhigen, nur haben meine Ärzte mir geraten, den Eingriff so bald wie möglich machen zu lassen…“

• FragendeFrau82 says:

Sorry QPF, I meant JK’s participation in the BSO Japan tour is off. Thanks for the clarification.