• Cicciabella: A big thank you to everyone who reported on Klinghoffer and reviewed the performance. This... 4:37 AM
  • Walther von Holzhaufen: Ivy, I just read your blog on Klinghoffer. I found your review and reflections to be... 4:33 AM
  • Often admonished: more http://leplus.nouv elobs.com/contribu tion/1251812-une-f emme-voilee-exp... 4:15 AM
  • Often admonished: Some kind of Intolerance Index considering all forms of censorship, artistic and aesthetic... 4:12 AM
  • tiger1: Dear Ms Ivy, Just read your review. Really really great. About giving the terrorists a back story,... 3:47 AM
  • Cicciabella: Nadja Michael is one hot 300-year old cougar in that trailer! I don’t know this opera very... 3:45 AM
  • tiger1: In my view, it is an error of the people who do not like DoK, who thinks it spends to much of an... 3:16 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: I had previously seen Behrens in 1988. It certainly is a diva role and she has by far the... 3:15 AM
  • tiger1: Actually, having now read the libretto and listened to the music, I think it is incorrectly to say... 3:12 AM
  • Buster: Thanks! I’ll definitely watch it next week. My Emilias thus far have been Catherine Malfitano,... 3:06 AM

Victory, of a sort

The annual Duke of York’s Picturehouse Eurovision Party, which is apparently a gay institution in Brighton, is pre-empted this year because of demand for tickets for the Met’s HD of Die Walküre. [BBC News] (Voigt photo: Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

• il_guarany says:

Either the insanest spin ever, or we must be dealing with very different demographics between the HD audiences in Brighton and downtown Toronto.

• il_guarany says:

Ah, I get it now. The party was cancelled because the cinema is hosting Die Walküre instead -- not because the demand for a competing event took the wind out of the Eurovision sails.

• messa di voce says:

“It’s a different crowd”

I think not.

• hochstelust says:

I would imagine it’s a very different crowd considering, from my experience, the fact that 90% of people attending those broadcasts are over the age of 70.

Any excuse.

• Chanterelle says:

Is Malena Ernman the only “crossover artist” (loathe the term) in Eurovision? Is she even competing this year? Her 2009 number was a hoot — and her Dido at Opera Comique (being repeated next year) was very moving.

• tannengrin says:

I assume that that is a ‘real’ production photo, and all of a sudden Lepage’s concept makes sense….

• La Cieca says:

You will note two characters referenced in the third act of Wagner’s music drama: Sintolt der Giggling and Wittig den Squirming.

• Lady Bracknell says:

No, really — is that what we’re in for tomorrow afternoon? Brünnhilde and Fosse dancers?

• SF Guy says:

It looks like Lepage has restored the scene from Act 3 (wisely cut by Wagner after the tryout run in Liegzig) where Brunhilde tests Valhalla-wannabes for coordination and endurance by leading them in a vigorous round of Dance Aeorbics.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Was the Regie quiz a day early? This could be a cross-dressing Zauberflote, with Tamina posing with the Three Boys (plus a fourth, as an added bonus)!

• schweigundtanze says:

No, it’s clearly Turandot set in the baths. The bitter old queen is flanked here by her usuals: Ping, Pang, Pong, and Dong.

• Clita del Toro says:

Is someone hinting that after the Ring, Debbie will be singing at the baths?

• Maury D says:

I hope DV sees this photo. I can’t help but think she’d find it hilarious.

• Harry says:

Reminds one of those old posed Victorian photos for World War 1 army recruitment that our beloved Vicar would know about, meant to save England inspired with Boudica leading the charge. The captions usually reading ‘Be a man and join up now’.
    When are we going to see a regie Ring where Brunhilde ‘brings on the all dancing -- high kicking boys. Perhaps it could be explained away she recruited a few ‘that were just wounded’ that she was supposed to take to Valhalla dead.

[img]http://parterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/britannia_yellow.jpg[/img]

• Melot's Younger Brother says:

So many new operas are based on films these days. Why not this one?