• Fluffy-net: I was struck by the fact that La Cieca cried. Must be something there. Stefan is Norwegian. 10:50 AM
  • pasavant: The Germans are starting to feel their oats again. I certainly hope that someone is keeping an eye... 10:10 AM
  • scargo: omg. 10:05 AM
  • Dabrowski: Lisette Oropesa finished the Pittsburgh Marathon in “4:45:41, not her best time, which is... 10:01 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes, I too. 6:44 AM
  • Lohengrin: I am looking forward to Muttertag-performa nce!! See You! 6:24 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Good top but Tézier was missed by me. Perhaps he will get better over the run. In every run... 4:59 AM
  • Lohengrin: How was Piazzola yesterday? 3:52 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Just heard a very good performance at the Schiller Theater with Ventris. He was quite good. 3:02 AM
  • La Cieca: My fault I fear as I posted this after a disturbing performance of Ariane et Barbebleu at... 2:15 AM

Victory, of a sort

The annual Duke of York’s Picturehouse Eurovision Party, which is apparently a gay institution in Brighton, is pre-empted this year because of demand for tickets for the Met’s HD of Die Walküre. [BBC News] (Voigt photo: Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

• il_guarany says:

Either the insanest spin ever, or we must be dealing with very different demographics between the HD audiences in Brighton and downtown Toronto.

• il_guarany says:

Ah, I get it now. The party was cancelled because the cinema is hosting Die Walküre instead -- not because the demand for a competing event took the wind out of the Eurovision sails.

• messa di voce says:

“It’s a different crowd”

I think not.

• hochstelust says:

I would imagine it’s a very different crowd considering, from my experience, the fact that 90% of people attending those broadcasts are over the age of 70.

Any excuse.

• Chanterelle says:

Is Malena Ernman the only “crossover artist” (loathe the term) in Eurovision? Is she even competing this year? Her 2009 number was a hoot — and her Dido at Opera Comique (being repeated next year) was very moving.

• tannengrin says:

I assume that that is a ‘real’ production photo, and all of a sudden Lepage’s concept makes sense….

• La Cieca says:

You will note two characters referenced in the third act of Wagner’s music drama: Sintolt der Giggling and Wittig den Squirming.

• Lady Bracknell says:

No, really — is that what we’re in for tomorrow afternoon? Brünnhilde and Fosse dancers?

• SF Guy says:

It looks like Lepage has restored the scene from Act 3 (wisely cut by Wagner after the tryout run in Liegzig) where Brunhilde tests Valhalla-wannabes for coordination and endurance by leading them in a vigorous round of Dance Aeorbics.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Was the Regie quiz a day early? This could be a cross-dressing Zauberflote, with Tamina posing with the Three Boys (plus a fourth, as an added bonus)!

• schweigundtanze says:

No, it’s clearly Turandot set in the baths. The bitter old queen is flanked here by her usuals: Ping, Pang, Pong, and Dong.

• Clita del Toro says:

Is someone hinting that after the Ring, Debbie will be singing at the baths?

• Maury D says:

I hope DV sees this photo. I can’t help but think she’d find it hilarious.

• Harry says:

Reminds one of those old posed Victorian photos for World War 1 army recruitment that our beloved Vicar would know about, meant to save England inspired with Boudica leading the charge. The captions usually reading ‘Be a man and join up now’.
    When are we going to see a regie Ring where Brunhilde ‘brings on the all dancing -- high kicking boys. Perhaps it could be explained away she recruited a few ‘that were just wounded’ that she was supposed to take to Valhalla dead.

[img]http://parterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/britannia_yellow.jpg[/img]

• Melot's Younger Brother says:

So many new operas are based on films these days. Why not this one?