• PokeyGascon: Try this? httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=2PBt GDbeobg&featur e=youtu.be 10:06 PM
  • PokeyGascon: I saw a different part. httpsv://www.youtu be.com/watch?v=2PB tGDbeobg&featu re=youtu.be 10:05 PM
  • antikitschychick: Aww this is sad :-(. I think she should have allower herself to sing at least some... 10:03 PM
  • antikitschychick: But could she trill? :-P. 9:55 PM
  • willym: I would have thought that would be Der Fledermaus in most houses????? 8:44 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: Another Rimsky-Korsakov opera “Snegourchka ” could be an interesting choice,... 8:08 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Thanks for that clip from Four Saints in Three Acts, which really needs a DVD release,... 7:54 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: My vote for frothy holiday fun is Orphée aux Enfers, which I’m shocked to see the... 7:51 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: This is getting graphic :D 7:48 PM
  • zinka: I am ageless…She was a good diver..could sing chest voice undr water. 7:45 PM

Victory, of a sort

The annual Duke of York’s Picturehouse Eurovision Party, which is apparently a gay institution in Brighton, is pre-empted this year because of demand for tickets for the Met’s HD of Die Walküre. [BBC News] (Voigt photo: Ken Howard/Metropolitan Opera)

• il_guarany says:

Either the insanest spin ever, or we must be dealing with very different demographics between the HD audiences in Brighton and downtown Toronto.

• il_guarany says:

Ah, I get it now. The party was cancelled because the cinema is hosting Die Walküre instead -- not because the demand for a competing event took the wind out of the Eurovision sails.

• messa di voce says:

“It’s a different crowd”

I think not.

• hochstelust says:

I would imagine it’s a very different crowd considering, from my experience, the fact that 90% of people attending those broadcasts are over the age of 70.

Any excuse.

• Chanterelle says:

Is Malena Ernman the only “crossover artist” (loathe the term) in Eurovision? Is she even competing this year? Her 2009 number was a hoot — and her Dido at Opera Comique (being repeated next year) was very moving.

• tannengrin says:

I assume that that is a ‘real’ production photo, and all of a sudden Lepage’s concept makes sense….

• La Cieca says:

You will note two characters referenced in the third act of Wagner’s music drama: Sintolt der Giggling and Wittig den Squirming.

• Lady Bracknell says:

No, really — is that what we’re in for tomorrow afternoon? Brünnhilde and Fosse dancers?

• SF Guy says:

It looks like Lepage has restored the scene from Act 3 (wisely cut by Wagner after the tryout run in Liegzig) where Brunhilde tests Valhalla-wannabes for coordination and endurance by leading them in a vigorous round of Dance Aeorbics.

• A. Poggia Turra says:

Was the Regie quiz a day early? This could be a cross-dressing Zauberflote, with Tamina posing with the Three Boys (plus a fourth, as an added bonus)!

• schweigundtanze says:

No, it’s clearly Turandot set in the baths. The bitter old queen is flanked here by her usuals: Ping, Pang, Pong, and Dong.

• Clita del Toro says:

Is someone hinting that after the Ring, Debbie will be singing at the baths?

• Maury D says:

I hope DV sees this photo. I can’t help but think she’d find it hilarious.

• Harry says:

Reminds one of those old posed Victorian photos for World War 1 army recruitment that our beloved Vicar would know about, meant to save England inspired with Boudica leading the charge. The captions usually reading ‘Be a man and join up now’.
    When are we going to see a regie Ring where Brunhilde ‘brings on the all dancing -- high kicking boys. Perhaps it could be explained away she recruited a few ‘that were just wounded’ that she was supposed to take to Valhalla dead.

[img]http://parterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/britannia_yellow.jpg[/img]

• Melot's Younger Brother says:

So many new operas are based on films these days. Why not this one?