• kashania: HH: Thanks for discussing the musical/dramatic of this work, which has been absent among all the... 8:27 PM
  • mirywi: I always finished off my Dove Sono that way. Then the conductors took over and spoiled opera. 8:11 PM
  • CwbyLA: damekenneth, in many interviews Peter Gelb said as a Jew himself, he doesn’t find the work... 7:59 PM
  • Kenhere: The K… State Theater is always dark Monday nights when New York City Ballet is in season, as... 7:58 PM
  • uwsinnyc: good points! I’m sold. What I was referring to was the cancelations of the radio and HD... 7:48 PM
  • jackoh: I am actually quite happy, delighted even, with all of this controversy, protesting, discussion,... 7:43 PM
  • Talk of the Town: I couldn’t make it to this HD so I asked my friend afterwards “Was there a... 7:26 PM
  • Satisfied: I take that back…lots of security tonight and long lines outside of the house. 7:22 PM
  • Satisfied: Made my way through the crowd around 20 minutes ago. I attempted to grab a drink at PJ... 7:18 PM
  • uwsinnyc: No of course not. But then you end up with situations like this where no one’s happy. 7:15 PM

Jane heir

Now that it’s more or less official that Elina Garanca is dropping out of the Met’s production of Anna Bolena, it’s obviously up to you, the cher public, to decide who should inherit the role.

In interest of gathering the broadest range of opinion on this crucial subject, a poll follows the jump.

The cher public are encouraged to campaign for their favorites in the comments section; YouTube clips are suggested.

How’s Larmore’s top these days? If she can handle the tessitura, I think she’d be great in the role, both in terms of voice and temprament. I’m a big Zajick fan but I want more femininity and vulnerability than she can bring to the role. I’m going with Antonacci.

• CwbyLA says:

Can they cast Angela Meade as Giovanna Seymour first and then she moves up to sing Anna later in the run?

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I’ve gone with Ganassi because, based on her ROH Ebolis, I think she really has a huge amount to bring to the role, including a thrilling top and an exciting temprament, while still having the essential bel canto approach to using her voice, and excellent Italian (not really a surprise, I know). She’ll fit in with Netrebko nicely, since both are fundamentally full lyric voices, but she’ll also be a nice foil.

I don’t know either of the 2 younger Americans, I dislike Coote, Larmore I do really like but don’t think she could match Ganassi now, and Zajick would just be a little de trop I think, much as I’d love to hear her in it. Antonacci would do a brilliant job and it would be nice to see her get to sing at the Met afterall since clearly she does really want to based on all the protestations to the contrary -- but I think Ganassi is the stronger singer in this case too, and I’d like to see her career trajectory benefit from this role which will surely generate a lot of attention and interest, given that it’s with Netrebko, in HD, and a sesaon opener.

Since we’re talking mezzos, happy 56th birthday to Anne-Sofie Von Otter.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Von Otter’s performance is about the only thing I can remember from that dull as ditch water Cappriccio in Edinburgh with Isokoski, Kaufmann and Maltmann at which the entire Fucking Brit contingent appears to have been present.

This bit of Berlioz is just gorgeous. Happy birthday Anne-Sofie.

• semira mide says:

Those voting for Sonia Ganassi should draw up a ( paper/hard copy) petition and gather signatures. Then those of us going to Pesaro this August can present it to her. Hey,just a thought.

• Sanford says:

Jennifer Larmore devoured the scenery and all of her co-stars (in a good way) in Hamlet.

• Simon Blackmouth says:

What’s up with the voting? When I checked a day or so ago, Larmore did not have many votes. Now she has over a thousand? No offense intended, but is there a bot voting for her?

• sharky says:

I wondered the same thing. My last check Aldrich was in a narrow lead in a 3 way heat with Ganassi and Antonacci -- each with something under 200 or so votes. Now Larmore has 1,583? I still love the lass, but really, 1500+ votes seemingly almost overnight?

• La Cieca says:

La Cieca has removed Larmore’s name from contention.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

People need to get they life right, its an online poll about speculation over a role in an opera. Devoting the programming time to deploy a bot? Who does that?

• oprahslut says:

I count myself as a Larmore fan and I was quite shocked to see her votes suddenly “jump”…Not cool. I hope it’s just a silly fan and not her people. Oh well, not that the Met was going to offer it to her…