• phillyoperalover: I think people need to have several of seats and calm down. It’s a rape scene, there are plenty of rape scenes in... 10:49 AM
  • Cicciabella: Feature about Pappano’s recording of Aida on BBC 3′s CD Review (starts at about 2 hrs): http://www.bbc.... 10:46 AM
  • Indiana Loiterer III: Oh goody! And maybe we can get Ann Coulter instead of Philip Gossett to do the pre-opera lecture! Think outside the... 9:36 AM
  • La Valkyrietta: Okay, I had a brilliant idea this morning. If the Royal Opera Guillaume Tell is done at in NYC in the future, and if they... 9:11 AM
  • Cicciabella: You’re welcome, armer! The heat is boiling my brain, and I forgot to mention the level-headed Brit by name: Mark... 7:37 AM
  • armerjacquino: But not all Brits agree *crying with relief* I’ve been waiting ten years for someone to say that on here. THANK you,... 6:55 AM
  • Cicciabella: Context for above posts: ENO’s Queen of Spades, avaiable on BBC iPlayer and elsewhere discussed by manou et al. 6:20 AM
  • Cicciabella: But not all Brits agree. After singling out Felicity Palmer’s Countess (powerful even via radio), he praises thr... 6:01 AM

Jane heir

Now that it’s more or less official that Elina Garanca is dropping out of the Met’s production of Anna Bolena, it’s obviously up to you, the cher public, to decide who should inherit the role.

In interest of gathering the broadest range of opinion on this crucial subject, a poll follows the jump.

The cher public are encouraged to campaign for their favorites in the comments section; YouTube clips are suggested.

How’s Larmore’s top these days? If she can handle the tessitura, I think she’d be great in the role, both in terms of voice and temprament. I’m a big Zajick fan but I want more femininity and vulnerability than she can bring to the role. I’m going with Antonacci.

• CwbyLA says:

Can they cast Angela Meade as Giovanna Seymour first and then she moves up to sing Anna later in the run?

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

I’ve gone with Ganassi because, based on her ROH Ebolis, I think she really has a huge amount to bring to the role, including a thrilling top and an exciting temprament, while still having the essential bel canto approach to using her voice, and excellent Italian (not really a surprise, I know). She’ll fit in with Netrebko nicely, since both are fundamentally full lyric voices, but she’ll also be a nice foil.

I don’t know either of the 2 younger Americans, I dislike Coote, Larmore I do really like but don’t think she could match Ganassi now, and Zajick would just be a little de trop I think, much as I’d love to hear her in it. Antonacci would do a brilliant job and it would be nice to see her get to sing at the Met afterall since clearly she does really want to based on all the protestations to the contrary -- but I think Ganassi is the stronger singer in this case too, and I’d like to see her career trajectory benefit from this role which will surely generate a lot of attention and interest, given that it’s with Netrebko, in HD, and a sesaon opener.

Since we’re talking mezzos, happy 56th birthday to Anne-Sofie Von Otter.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Von Otter’s performance is about the only thing I can remember from that dull as ditch water Cappriccio in Edinburgh with Isokoski, Kaufmann and Maltmann at which the entire Fucking Brit contingent appears to have been present.

This bit of Berlioz is just gorgeous. Happy birthday Anne-Sofie.

• semira mide says:

Those voting for Sonia Ganassi should draw up a ( paper/hard copy) petition and gather signatures. Then those of us going to Pesaro this August can present it to her. Hey,just a thought.

• Sanford says:

Jennifer Larmore devoured the scenery and all of her co-stars (in a good way) in Hamlet.

• Simon Blackmouth says:

What’s up with the voting? When I checked a day or so ago, Larmore did not have many votes. Now she has over a thousand? No offense intended, but is there a bot voting for her?

• sharky says:

I wondered the same thing. My last check Aldrich was in a narrow lead in a 3 way heat with Ganassi and Antonacci -- each with something under 200 or so votes. Now Larmore has 1,583? I still love the lass, but really, 1500+ votes seemingly almost overnight?

• La Cieca says:

La Cieca has removed Larmore’s name from contention.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

People need to get they life right, its an online poll about speculation over a role in an opera. Devoting the programming time to deploy a bot? Who does that?

• oprahslut says:

I count myself as a Larmore fan and I was quite shocked to see her votes suddenly “jump”…Not cool. I hope it’s just a silly fan and not her people. Oh well, not that the Met was going to offer it to her…