• Camille: Oh goody goody gumdrops!!! The Radvan has finally gotten to the place she has been trying to get... 10:28 AM
  • grimoaldo: I think it is a different version Camille, the Opera Rara was recorded at a live performance at... 10:27 AM
  • kashania: And Capalbo doesn’t look shabby either. :) httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=0... 10:22 AM
  • kashania: I have Caballe, Sills, Gencer and Miricouiu in the part and love them all. I know you don’t... 10:16 AM
  • armerjacquino: Jungfer- have a look on YT* for the Sondheim at 80 Prom. Some wonderful performances on there... 10:15 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: WAIT! The above YouTube clip cuts out at 48 minutes. Here is the complete... 10:14 AM
  • armerjacquino: The NYCO NIGHT MUSIC was 1990, I think. Sally Ann Howes is a little… mature, but... 10:12 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Cami – here is (most of) the Sills recording which I offered you,... 10:10 AM
  • kashania: Camille: Capalbo sounds great (and has more exciting high notes than Filianoti, IMO). The basic... 10:07 AM
  • Camille: Thank you grimmie. I was almost going for it, until that final splat on the missed by a half step... 10:05 AM

Brittania rule the lake

Houston Grand Opera’s Brit-in-Chief Anthony Freud will take an early departure of his post (recently extended to 2015) to move into the power vacuum created by the departure of William Mason from Lyric Opera of Chicago in 2012, says Culturemap Houston.

• WindyCityOperaman says:

Also, Happy 62nd Birthday diva!

• willym says:

Dear god I wish someone would do that at the opera here -- saw the end of Act 1 of Abduction last week in a strobe light effect from the couple in the palco opposite’s camera flash. Have they not realized that the flash does nothing at that distance other than distract the audience and the singers?????

• tannengrin says:

it’s such a lovely tune, done right, but, oh dear god, I didn’t know this existed:

• Harry says:

Oh! The Proms. Where they then start up with that nationalistic campy- cringe producing..’Land of Hope and Glory’.

In one concert out of over a hundred.

Speaking of the Proms, Pappano conducting the Santa Cecilia forces in William Tell is quite exciting, although the cast (Pertusi, Osborn, Bystrom) is less so. Same applies to Gardiner conducting the Berlioz version of Der Freischutz- smashing idea, less-than-thrilling cast.

Poplavskaya, Ganassi, Calleja and Furlanetto in the Verdi Requiem under Bychkov, on the other hand…

• Nerva Nelli says:

“Poplavskaya, Ganassi, Calleja and Furlanetto in the Verdi Requiem …”

Three outta four ain’t bad…

(note early Sharon Sweet appearance)

armer -- most of that cast appears on the forthcoming EMI release of Guillaume Tell. Malin is clearly Tony P’s new soprano flavour of the month.

… and Nerva, that was what I thought too.

• brooklynpunk says:

Harry..

I always thought “Land of Hope and Glory” was --ON THE lLAST NIGHT of the Proms--

AND..

as much of an ultra left-wing Yank that I am.. IT STILL gives me a bit of a lump in my throat..as does the whole of the Royal Albert Hall sing-a-long of “Rule , Brittania” and “Jerusalem”

I LIVE FOR EACH SUMMER’S PROM BROADCASTS.. on Auntie Beeb, and your smarmy diss of them is pretty “cringe-producing”……

• La Cieca says:

Not a patch on

• peter says:

Brava Gwyneth! I’m afraid this Yankee got goose pimples.

Famously, Gwynnie had the words written on the back of her shield. Watch her eyes.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Quite! Dame Gwyneth essayed ‘The Last Rose of Summer’ with harp accompaniment that same evening. The intimacy of the Royal Albert Hall appeared to suit her -- the harp accompaniment, less so.

One of her best ever Immolations Scenes too, IMO, which is sort of a surprise given that she isn’t in the first flush of youth.

• peter says:

1991 was a great year for Gwyneth. She sang Elektra in San Francisco that year and she was in stupendous (and tremendous) voice.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Isn’t is the same year as her famous Orange Elektras too? Which I guess she must have come to London more or less straight from, give or take a couple of weeks.

• peter says:

Yes, the Elektra in Orange was in 1991:

By the way, just noticed, unless I am missing a subtle verbal gag, isn’t there a misspelling in the headline of this post: Brittania (sic). Or is it something to do with Britt Ekland?

• phoenix says:

Monty, that is an interesting observation on the title of this article. I hardly remember Britt (she was, believe it or not, actually older than I am… if you can imagine such is even remotely possible).
            -- I don’t know much about her, but in her very early studies it appears that she was considering the diva roles in Donna del lago or Rusalka, but I don’t know whether either one actually materialized. By the time I got around to her, she was doing the Siegfried Brunnhilde (in a performance at Grande Metropole de Ipswich with Siegfried Jerusalemn as Siegried):

[img]http://parterre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/britt.jpg[/img]

• ianw2 says:

Gwyneth was still sounding pretty impressive in 2006′s fabulous Alice in Wonderland.

Britt’s finest vocal performance was undoubtedly as Salce in that bel canto classic L’uomo di paglia

Unlike some who hide in the mountains of Italy, Freud may be one of the first openly gay general directors of an opera company in the USA. If you say that abbreviation aloud in German (GGD) that makes him a Gay Gay Dee.

• ianw2 says:

Matthew Epstein was hardly in the closet.

• Indiana Loiterer III says:

Yes, but what American opera company was he general director of? (Wales is not in America.)

• ianw2 says:

Chicago, no? Or does ‘artistic director’ not count? I don’t really care but find it hard to believe that Freud was the first.

And does this mean that Lyric Opera is obliged to hire Freud’s lover as they did in Houston, where he was appointed dramaturg? Nice work if you can get it.