• ML: What? Why? He’s the only true French voice we have! I think long-standing Parterrians should be... 6:24 AM
  • LJ: here’s the SBS interview http://www.sbs.com .au/news/article/2 014/08/08/operas-h ottest-tenor-ho... 6:15 AM
  • manou: œdipe is on the naughty step – but I hope he will be back soon, holding hands with bassoprofundo. 6:15 AM
  • ML: Oedipe — où es-tu? 5:42 AM
  • ML: Well, as you suggest, there are not performances in French of comparable quality. This is ultimately the... 5:34 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Cocky, I have to disagree re Goerke as Elektra. I didn’t attend last night as... 5:24 AM
  • lyrebird: Actually, the figures are worse than my rough estimates above. If anyone cares (and I’m... 5:19 AM
  • lyrebird: Sorry to disagree. The second concert in Sydney went on sale well before anything like the first... 4:59 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: I saw Elektra last night at the proms and seem to be at odds with everybody on Facebook and... 4:41 AM
  • Lohengrin: I also wondered about the way of PR. For exemple in Krumlov/Tchechien they offert JK in all... 4:40 AM

Solid gold

Mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard has been named the recipient of the sixth annual Beverly Sills Artist Award for young singers at the Metropolitan Opera. She receives a $50,000 prize and is married to Teddy Tahu Rhodes, which frankly strikes La Cieca as overkill. (Photo: Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

• Ruxton says:

Do translate Lucky Pierre -- no one north of the Bay of Islands speaks Maori although its one of the nicest sounding “practically dead languages” around.

• Lucky Pierre says:

sorry, it’s Ta’u Pupu’a.

Oh dear, the poor chap has a date lined up at the opera in Christchurch, NZ. Is there still an opera house in Christchurch?

• CruzSF says:

According to their Website:
          24th February, 2011

Thank you to all for your messages of concern and support. The Southern Opera offices are currently not operational, however, at this stage all staff and, to our knowledge, our chorus members are safe.

Our thoughts are with all our colleagues and fellow Cantabrians -- best wishes to you and your loved ones during this challenging time.

• mia apulia says:

Perhaps there is great “promise”, but I heard Leonard in Périchole in Bordeaux a couple years ago. She sang neatly, but with little chest and without any particular personality (as previously mentioned). A slender presence in a theater much smaller than the Met.

• Lily Bart says:

Congratulations Isabel!

I have heard her in several different venues and her voice is luscious. Before seeing her Dorabella at the Met last November, I feared she might not be able to fill the house. But she was more than fine and really the highlight of a rather drab revival.