• papopera: The House of Greece is German, Prince Philip’s name is Slesvig-Holstein-S onderburg-Gluck... 11:40 AM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=1wiw YVL_GCU It was the evening of March 4, 1960. Leonard... 11:37 AM
  • pasavant: Where is here? 11:34 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Her Donna Anna here was horrible but don’t know about Arabella. 11:26 AM
  • pasavant: Was at the Met yesterday for Arabella. What sublime music! Am thinking of going back this week for... 10:45 AM
  • Batty Masetto: I thought that was one of the best of the lot, Manou! 10:37 AM
  • Milady DeWinter: Flora – I think you may have mis-read my reaction to Guestroia’s comment on... 10:01 AM
  • Grane: They are my most trusted source for reading about musicians losing their instruments. ;) 9:19 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: You are welcome and you also have mail from me. Not what are you thinking but that will... 9:15 AM
  • Rackon: Thank you for the detailed report! This is one production I would dearly love to see, especially with... 9:10 AM

Solid gold

Mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard has been named the recipient of the sixth annual Beverly Sills Artist Award for young singers at the Metropolitan Opera. She receives a $50,000 prize and is married to Teddy Tahu Rhodes, which frankly strikes La Cieca as overkill. (Photo: Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

• Ruxton says:

Do translate Lucky Pierre -- no one north of the Bay of Islands speaks Maori although its one of the nicest sounding “practically dead languages” around.

• Lucky Pierre says:

sorry, it’s Ta’u Pupu’a.

Oh dear, the poor chap has a date lined up at the opera in Christchurch, NZ. Is there still an opera house in Christchurch?

• CruzSF says:

According to their Website:
          24th February, 2011

Thank you to all for your messages of concern and support. The Southern Opera offices are currently not operational, however, at this stage all staff and, to our knowledge, our chorus members are safe.

Our thoughts are with all our colleagues and fellow Cantabrians -- best wishes to you and your loved ones during this challenging time.

• mia apulia says:

Perhaps there is great “promise”, but I heard Leonard in Périchole in Bordeaux a couple years ago. She sang neatly, but with little chest and without any particular personality (as previously mentioned). A slender presence in a theater much smaller than the Met.

• Lily Bart says:

Congratulations Isabel!

I have heard her in several different venues and her voice is luscious. Before seeing her Dorabella at the Met last November, I feared she might not be able to fill the house. But she was more than fine and really the highlight of a rather drab revival.