• "“And their monthly or bi-monthly magazine is free (though printed programs..." - Krunoslav
  • "If the GM of an opera company isin the mind set that the young generation should trade..." - CwbyLA
  • "Some European houses have considered these issues. A few examples off the top of..." - Chanterelle
  • "Maybe I can convince Jonas to come to Ptown…..." - Olivero is my Drug of Choice
  • "Deborah Voigt is coming to Provincetown, Ma this summer...." - Olivero is my Drug of Choice
  • "Netrebko cancelled the 2 shows that I had tickets for…(Milan and Paris) and now I..." - moi
  • "Well, before there were THOSE Angels ( MLB) there were two minor league teams in..." - semira mide
  • "Thank you for the correction. Only 66 when she passed." - WindyCityOperaman

Solid gold

Mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard has been named the recipient of the sixth annual Beverly Sills Artist Award for young singers at the Metropolitan Opera. She receives a $50,000 prize and is married to Teddy Tahu Rhodes, which frankly strikes La Cieca as overkill. (Photo: Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

• Ruxton says:

Do translate Lucky Pierre -- no one north of the Bay of Islands speaks Maori although its one of the nicest sounding “practically dead languages” around.

• Lucky Pierre says:

sorry, it’s Ta’u Pupu’a.

Oh dear, the poor chap has a date lined up at the opera in Christchurch, NZ. Is there still an opera house in Christchurch?

• CruzSF says:

According to their Website:
          24th February, 2011

Thank you to all for your messages of concern and support. The Southern Opera offices are currently not operational, however, at this stage all staff and, to our knowledge, our chorus members are safe.

Our thoughts are with all our colleagues and fellow Cantabrians -- best wishes to you and your loved ones during this challenging time.

• mia apulia says:

Perhaps there is great “promise”, but I heard Leonard in Périchole in Bordeaux a couple years ago. She sang neatly, but with little chest and without any particular personality (as previously mentioned). A slender presence in a theater much smaller than the Met.

• Lily Bart says:

Congratulations Isabel!

I have heard her in several different venues and her voice is luscious. Before seeing her Dorabella at the Met last November, I feared she might not be able to fill the house. But she was more than fine and really the highlight of a rather drab revival.