• PCally: The DVD is my personal favorite of the opera, even if it’s not the most beautifully sung. The cast is overwhelming 8:44 PM
  • Greg.Freed: Toyota ho! 7:47 PM
  • armerjacquino: Nissan Dorma. 7:40 PM
  • armerjacquino: Well, if we’re counting singers, there’s James Morris. And if we’re counting translations, there’s... 7:40 PM
  • kashania: Thanks for such a witty review, Greg. I’ve seen a few highlights of this production and like what I saw. 7:24 PM
  • Operngasse: Does the production try to make anything out what I’ll term a visual pun between the character Mercedes and the use of a... 7:18 PM
  • armerjacquino: You get a Hall Pass for that one. 6:21 PM
  • Porgy Amor: From a distance, it would be an easy mistake to make even for someone who does know what Bieito looks like. They’re... 6:08 PM

Solid gold

Mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard has been named the recipient of the sixth annual Beverly Sills Artist Award for young singers at the Metropolitan Opera. She receives a $50,000 prize and is married to Teddy Tahu Rhodes, which frankly strikes La Cieca as overkill. (Photo: Marty Sohl/Metropolitan Opera)

• 1
    atalaya says:

I’m looking forward to her Rosina next season. Her Cherubino was very funny. Enjoyed her Dorabella. Great comedic and physical acting skills. Lovely voice.

• 2
    Nerva Nelli says:

A good musician with a pretty voice, good language skills and a lovely exterior. Always nice to hear her. But not much individuality that I can discern.

They have yet to honor Lawrence Brownlee…

At least it’s not Dancin’ Danielle.

• 3
    Orlando Furioso says:

Good choice, I think. But I hope they soon consider that

They have yet to honor Lawrence Brownlee…

and they have only another year or two to do so before he ages out of consideration for this award.

• 4
    juilvoc says:

i’m so happy for her. she deserves it so much!!!

• 5
    bassoprofundo says:

Brownlee deserves it much, much more.

• 6

I agree. I think she needs to give up at least one of those prizes, it is only fair.

• 7
    Arianna a Nasso says:

There seems to be a shift in this award from a “coronation” of an established artist (DiDonato, Gunn, Polenzani, Relyea) to taking a bet on an emerging artist whom the Met is grooming (Phillips, Leonard). Following that line, I could see Meade getting it before Brownlee, who probably will have a more limited Met career anyway given his repertoire, which is less frequently presented at the Met.

• 8
    Alto says:

“… married to Teddy Tahu Rhodes, which frankly strikes La Cieca as overkill.”

Rhodes kill?

• 9
    Lucky Pierre says:

you bitches can have rhodes. i’ll take ta’u tupua.

• 10
    MontyNostry says:

I always get her mixed up with Kate Lindsay (though not with Kate Aldrich, for some reason) and Tamara Mumford. Attractive dark-haired lyric mezzos all.

• 11
    Ruxton says:

Do translate Lucky Pierre -- no one north of the Bay of Islands speaks Maori although its one of the nicest sounding “practically dead languages” around.

• 11.1
      Lucky Pierre says:

sorry, it’s Ta’u Pupu’a.

• 11.1.1
        MontyNostry says:

Oh dear, the poor chap has a date lined up at the opera in Christchurch, NZ. Is there still an opera house in Christchurch?

• 11.1.1.1
          CruzSF says:

According to their Website:
          24th February, 2011

Thank you to all for your messages of concern and support. The Southern Opera offices are currently not operational, however, at this stage all staff and, to our knowledge, our chorus members are safe.

Our thoughts are with all our colleagues and fellow Cantabrians -- best wishes to you and your loved ones during this challenging time.

• 12
    mia apulia says:

Perhaps there is great “promise”, but I heard Leonard in Périchole in Bordeaux a couple years ago. She sang neatly, but with little chest and without any particular personality (as previously mentioned). A slender presence in a theater much smaller than the Met.

• 13
    Lily Bart says:

Congratulations Isabel!

I have heard her in several different venues and her voice is luscious. Before seeing her Dorabella at the Met last November, I feared she might not be able to fill the house. But she was more than fine and really the highlight of a rather drab revival.