• aulus agerius: According to Barihunks, some very odd casting in ROH Japan tour of Don Giovanni coming up... 10:09 AM
  • kashania: I’m surprised Bubbles didn’t do it in A! :) 10:07 AM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Can Bel-Air Classiques really not find an English speaker to translate the blurb for... 9:37 AM
  • Lohengrin: The day will come, where all operas with JK will take place in Allianz-Arena̷ 0;:-) 9:25 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1922 soprano/mezzo-sopr ano/opera director Regina Resnik... 9:23 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well I will try and get in line and hope that works. But until I have a ticket in my hand I... 9:12 AM
  • Lohengrin: And whats about You? Are You lucky too? 8:41 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Congratulations. Two people I know got tickets, one for the premiere and one for the second... 7:50 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Not to mention the piano G on ‘Rosn’ . 7:47 AM
  • tiger1: The opening phrase of the trio also contains a high B flat and should be very “floating 221;... 7:43 AM

Oh my God, Opera, you look amazing!

Lady Jane Grey“A cover article this weekend about choosing the Top 10 classical composers misstates, at one point, the length of time that opera had existed as of 1750, when Bach died. As the article correctly conveys in other references, opera had been around for roughly 150 years then, not ‘a half-century’.” La Cieca is sure the article’s author, Anthony Tommasini, 162, regrets the error. [NYT]

In this age of globalisation and fast information circulation, knowledge about contemporary music doesn’t seem to travel very quickly. Here are the names of some pretty famous (living and working) European opera composers:
    Peter Eotvos
    Pascal Dusapin
    Wolfgang Rihm
    Michael Levinas

• A. Poggia Turra says:

I would add Poul Ruders -- The Handmaid’s Tale is an incredibly powerful work.

• Bluessweet says:

Mastodon Manure

• Ruxton says:

I have to admit I love the insanity of these “ten greatest” lists. How on earth Ludwig Von can make any such list with one solitary work is beyond me- and thanks Henry for pointing out that Korngold could make someone’s list (mine instead of Britten). Also most of Vivaldi’s stuff is not half bad…. I wonder what Harry would think?

• Clita del Toro says:

Ruxton: Because he is Beethoven and Fidelio is divine.

• Clita del Toro says:

My favorit composers are( not necessarily operatic) are:

Mozart
    Beethoven
    Bellini
    Schumann
    Wagner
    Verdi
    Brahams
    Berg
    Stravinsky
    Rossini

• Ruxton says:

Thanks Clita. I’d talk longer but I’m in a hurry to catch a stunning Schumann opera :)

• jfmurray3 says:

Keeping the Schumann theme, when are we getting Genoveva?!?!?! I would actually prefer to see productions of Das Paradies und die Peri (with Diana Damrau as the Peri) or Scenes from Goethe’s Faust.

Keeping the Faust theme, how about a staging of Mahler 8? I’ve been eager to see Pater Ecstaticus soaring up and down. When Julie Taymor perfects stage flight, she can head back uptown.

Joe

• Clita del Toro says:

Ruxton lol

• tannengrin says:

with regard to greatest living composers- has Rufus been mentioned yet? I mean, surely!

• Belfagor says:

When we do a list of great song composers -- sure -- there he can hold his own with Wolf and Poulenc.