• Poison Ivy: I found this old RAI film of Clara Petrella in the title role. Awful production values aside, I really wish there were... 9:30 AM
  • Lady Abbado: Valentine’s Day – “Vive amour qui rêve, embrasse, et fuit” httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=E... 9:29 AM
  • armerjacquino: ‘Mickey Rooney as Des Grieux in Act Three of the Metropolitan Opera’s new production of Puccini’s MANON... 8:51 AM
  • armerjacquino: The idea that doing everything on instinct would be better than having any direction is also one which most performers... 8:50 AM
  • armerjacquino: A pastiche by Ada Leverson, from PUNCH, apparently. As you were. 8:47 AM
  • armerjacquino: Oooh, what’s the text in that pic? Looks interesting! 8:45 AM
  • Indiana Loiterer III: Is is really the “director 217;s choice” that there are “no sopranos out there who can... 8:37 AM
  • armerjacquino: I beg your pardon. I should have gone to the archive instead of recklessly googling ‘Madama Butterfly Metropolitan... 8:32 AM

Oh my God, Opera, you look amazing!

Lady Jane Grey“A cover article this weekend about choosing the Top 10 classical composers misstates, at one point, the length of time that opera had existed as of 1750, when Bach died. As the article correctly conveys in other references, opera had been around for roughly 150 years then, not ‘a half-century’.” La Cieca is sure the article’s author, Anthony Tommasini, 162, regrets the error. [NYT]

In this age of globalisation and fast information circulation, knowledge about contemporary music doesn’t seem to travel very quickly. Here are the names of some pretty famous (living and working) European opera composers:
    Peter Eotvos
    Pascal Dusapin
    Wolfgang Rihm
    Michael Levinas

• A. Poggia Turra says:

I would add Poul Ruders -- The Handmaid’s Tale is an incredibly powerful work.

• Bluessweet says:

Mastodon Manure

• Ruxton says:

I have to admit I love the insanity of these “ten greatest” lists. How on earth Ludwig Von can make any such list with one solitary work is beyond me- and thanks Henry for pointing out that Korngold could make someone’s list (mine instead of Britten). Also most of Vivaldi’s stuff is not half bad…. I wonder what Harry would think?

• Clita del Toro says:

Ruxton: Because he is Beethoven and Fidelio is divine.

• Clita del Toro says:

My favorit composers are( not necessarily operatic) are:

Mozart
    Beethoven
    Bellini
    Schumann
    Wagner
    Verdi
    Brahams
    Berg
    Stravinsky
    Rossini

• Ruxton says:

Thanks Clita. I’d talk longer but I’m in a hurry to catch a stunning Schumann opera :)

• jfmurray3 says:

Keeping the Schumann theme, when are we getting Genoveva?!?!?! I would actually prefer to see productions of Das Paradies und die Peri (with Diana Damrau as the Peri) or Scenes from Goethe’s Faust.

Keeping the Faust theme, how about a staging of Mahler 8? I’ve been eager to see Pater Ecstaticus soaring up and down. When Julie Taymor perfects stage flight, she can head back uptown.

Joe

• Clita del Toro says:

Ruxton lol

• tannengrin says:

with regard to greatest living composers- has Rufus been mentioned yet? I mean, surely!

• Belfagor says:

When we do a list of great song composers -- sure -- there he can hold his own with Wolf and Poulenc.