• luvtennis1: On records? Crespin. A live recording from the 60s. Awesome. 1:38 AM
  • la vociaccia: I never said she should hang it up or anything like that; I’ve said frequently that she’s extremely effective... 11:39 PM
  • Krunoslav: Funny, I had written Gorr and then realized it’s been many, many years since I’ve heard that performance.... 11:18 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Ok to use a more contemporary example other than Birgit Nilsson, would you want to hear Anna Netrebko, Sondra Radvanovsky or... 10:01 PM
  • la vociaccia: Surely there lies a gulf between “singing it well” and “covering yourself in glory.” I agree this is... 9:52 PM
  • joggerboy: Was anyone able to listen to it yet? France Musique hasn’t put it On Demand yet. 9:44 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I think this argument is getting rather pointless. For instance I don;t think Birgit Nilsson covered herself in glory when she... 8:39 PM
  • laddie: I took him to mean that he was previewing the role debut at the MET. He has sung the role in Torino as well as London. 8:25 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• 1
    phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• 2
    Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• 3

This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• 4
    Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• 5
    vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• 5.1
      Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• 6
    vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• 7
    pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• 7.1
      Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• 8
    Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• 9
    Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.