• la vociaccia: She sounded, really, really bad though. I’m not arguing that she ‘doesn’ ;t... 3:32 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: How about this, mon cher Dabrowski? All wrong, perhaps, but not ridiculous at all. Exciting.... 3:03 PM
  • overstimmelated: There were comments on the amplification and balance by tancredipasero in another thread... 2:40 PM
  • laddie: Paul Curran has done several productions at Santa Fe Opera, three of which I have seen, the best... 2:39 PM
  • bluecabochon: There are enormous speakers on either side of the Met’s proscenium for all to see, fwiw. 2:23 PM
  • rapt: Wow! Thanks so much for posting this truly illuminating– ;and touching, I think–articl e. 2:12 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: To illustrate the phrase “from the ridiculous to the sublime”. httpv://www.you... 1:41 PM
  • Vittelio Scarpia: Paul Curran, the director who will stage the new “La donna del lago” next year... 1:37 PM
  • La Valkyrietta: Dabrowski, Your question, “Is the Wagner “heavier” and appropriate only for dramatic... 1:32 PM
  • armerjacquino: Not sure ‘crossover&# 8217; is the right word. She performs all kinds of music but her... 1:31 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.