• phoenix: manou, you are a monkey, too? if you are a wood monkey, you were born the same year I was 5:29 PM
  • antikitschychick: P.S. quite mucho was not a typo; it was me being silly and using Spanglish. I did mean to say it is snowing quite mucho... 5:29 PM
  • antikitschychick: thanks for the heads up NPW. I’ll read it later on tonight. It is snowing quite mucho here in PA tonight and I... 5:23 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Anti, my report is out. 5:10 PM
  • la vociaccia: You know, I really appreciate that Thomas and Cambridge weighed in on the issue with the Washington Post and I do think a... 3:57 PM
  • armerjacquino: How unbelievably dumb to use the opinion of singers as some kind of clincher. It’s not the inside world of opera... 3:42 PM
  • m. croche: Though I now possess a bearish exterior, I, too, am a brother of Sun Wukong. 3:11 PM
  • redbear: Just found more on this in the Guardian. A commenter mentioned that the last time we saw her at the opera, she was shot on the... 2:57 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.