• kashania: That’s right. I forgot about Lee (whose voice I really liked). Thanks, La Cieca. 8:35 PM
  • La Cieca: The Don Carlo was planned for Rolando Villazon. Alagna took on the part at such short notice that... 8:24 PM
  • kashania: Frittoli’s voice is still lovely but she hasn’t been at her best for several years. Her... 8:19 PM
  • kashania: When was the last time the Met offered Alagna a new production — one where he wasn’t... 8:09 PM
  • kashania: Orion: I don’t have time to watch those YouTube clips right now and I have no doubt that... 8:06 PM
  • tornado12: Although I’m not sure about the Kuchta. The pitch on the recording I found on YouTube was a... 8:04 PM
  • tornado12: I think, I’ve got it: 1) Rita Hunter 2) Kirsten Flagstad 3) Marilyn Horne 4) Hildegard... 8:01 PM
  • armerjacquino: She lists it very firmly in her rep: http://www.christi negoerke.com/#!rep ertoire/c4g2 7:56 PM
  • SilvestriWoman: I seriously doubt Goerke has Turandot in her future. Having worked with her many years ago,... 7:40 PM
  • jackoh: Here is what bothers me about this situation, or model. If opera, at least in the US, can exist only... 7:18 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.