• kashania: If Lopardo’s statement were more evenhanded, I could take it more seriously. 3:12 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: Absolutely. I think there should be more of his later operas as well, Maria di Rohan, Poliuto... 3:12 PM
  • armerjacquino: Very even-handedly put. Note, however, that Voigt’s criticism of Gordon tends to be... 3:00 PM
  • warmke: I think it is fair. To examine whether certain artists speaking out against Gelb might have a bias... 2:58 PM
  • armerjacquino: Fair enough. You’re right that you personally haven’t used much disparaging... 2:50 PM
  • kashania: AJ: I’m sorry if your “Got it” was intended as anything other than sarcasm. I... 2:43 PM
  • armerjacquino: Sorry. When I said ‘page’ , and you responded, I assumed you’d bothered to... 2:29 PM
  • armerjacquino: Your response was to repeat the same argument I was criticising. You don’t seem to... 2:28 PM
  • kashania: Don’t put words into my mouth. I have not read any of the comments and said no such thing... 2:27 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: I’d love to see more of Donizetti rarities. Parisina (I believe the composer’s own... 2:25 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.