• zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=A9DJ d2vyRuw How many TOWELS in our lifetime would we need to catch... 12:27 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: “… and two hard-boiled eggs.” 12:21 PM
  • MontyNostry: Four years ago, when Keenlyside first sang Rigoletto with Welsh National Opera, it was... 12:09 PM
  • k0000: “grandiloque nt” isn’t the word you want here; it means “pretentious ,”... 11:46 AM
  • Milady DeWinter: So glad you finally caught up with “Night at the Opera”, AntiK- what a great... 11:14 AM
  • Milady DeWinter: Oh, I wish whoever has that Isotta would open the treasure chest. I think I even like to... 11:12 AM
  • La Cieca: Perhaps you will be so kind as to share documentation of how Verdi conceived Rigoletto should look... 10:44 AM
  • CerquettiFarrell: The whole thing is on Tube. It leaves me utterly cold, as no performance of this work... 10:40 AM
  • CerquettiFarrell: I had posted this very early on, a day or two after seeing the concert live on Mezzo.... 10:38 AM
  • CerquettiFarrell: LOL Dame Kiri tries her best hand at impersonating Joan Crawford, 20:00 And her... 10:34 AM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.