• LT: Batty, my vacuum is used strictly for on-label activities such as carpet cleaning. 10:54 PM
  • Donna Anna: Ivy–by terrible things, I meant more along the lines of being Statler and Waldorf at the opera. The mind reels.... 9:43 PM
  • -Ed.: It’s raining like a whore in church here in St. Petersburg at dusk, putting quite a dampener on our 4th of July festivities.... 9:17 PM
  • Batty Masetto: Be extremely careful what you initiate with that sexy vacuum cleaner, LT. 8:36 PM
  • -Ed.: Manou, I live in St. Petersburg (the sunny one with beaches) which I know for a fact is in the South. Er,.. except it isn’t,... 8:33 PM
  • Operngasse: We now know where the West ends: The western border of Arizona and Nevada, per Justice Scalia (forgive me for mentioning his... 7:52 PM
  • manou: So – not only are American people unsure of where they live, they also wash their hair with potato chips and soda. Curiouser... 7:40 PM
  • Poison Ivy: No, it does not count. You haven’t really lived until you’ve gone to Walmart to buy shampoo and left with a cart... 7:37 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.