• redbear: I can’t believe we forgot the birthday of Johann Joachim Quantz (1697 – 1773),... 11:59 AM
  • moi: She sounds a bit like Freni at 60 . 11:58 AM
  • alejandro: She looked so good in the blue dress. I almost let out a “YES GIRL!” when that stage... 11:58 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: BAYREUTH TICKET SERVICE HOTLINE, announced today: 30.01.2015 Service-Hotline... 11:57 AM
  • sterlingkay: I really don’t hear that much difference between this recording and what I heard at last... 11:56 AM
  • alejandro: I just listened to Dima’s version and I think there’s something swallowed and... 11:54 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Here’s another one: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=kODk NiSWvRU But Markov wasn’t... 11:43 AM
  • alejandro: Thanks! I compared that with Markov’s 2009 performance on YouTube and I guess my ears may... 11:40 AM
  • gal: Hvorostovsky recordings of Robert’s aria are quite interesting I think. 11:33 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Prepare to be devastated. Be careful: you may be too frightened to... 11:26 AM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.