• kashania: When I made my post, I was still in Act I but yes, he’s wonderful. Even a few years in the... 3:54 PM
  • Nero Wolfe: Did you ever see Stratas in The Canadians? http://www.imdb.co m/title/tt0054715/ ?ref_=nm_flmg_... 3:37 PM
  • mskapay: Indeed, but he is only just 50, which isn’t wildly out there for a male singer, and he’s... 3:29 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Perhaps the original pirates. The Mapleson Cylinders. I love this clip from Tosca. It sounds like... 3:25 PM
  • mirywi: According to my ears, it’s Mr MacNeil who is the surprise vocal standout in that Tosca. 2:54 PM
  • ML: Then hopefully she’ll be slotted in where Nadja now is! 2:44 PM
  • ML: Abdrazakov. 2:42 PM
  • La Cieca: I said, let’s drop it. Next commenter on this subject gets moderated for two weeks. 2:41 PM
  • Clita del Toro: There La Poisonette goes again. “Circle jerking,” “hate-boners ” ?... 2:36 PM
  • arepo: Leave it to you dear Kashie. I just learned something. Many thanks and hugs to you. 2:02 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.