• bluecabochon: Jungfer, I don’t think that the production has deteriorated. It looks pretty much as it always has and the costumes... 5:47 PM
  • aulus agerius: Rosina, it’s an awkward sentence due to the word ‘when’ . It does say what you say. I’m sure CC was... 5:45 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I first heard her as Martinu’s “Julietta 221; (d’ya all remember Martinu? judging from... 5:42 PM
  • Bill: To my knowledge the Met does the Paris version – or has done so since the 1977 production was new (years ago Kempe did the... 5:41 PM
  • grisha: httpv://www.youtub qo15Z8w 5:34 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: And let us thank Patricia Ziprodt for those! Starting in 1977, I got to wear three of them in the course of... 5:33 PM
  • Cicciabella: Wow, first Grim expounding on Handel, now Batty with the whole Minnesingers backstory. Parterre is all the university you... 5:23 PM
  • rote rosen: “…one hopes for the best for Ms Westbroek, a truly giving and talented performer but one whose voice has never... 5:16 PM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.