• kennedet: Leave Ms. Norman alone! She’s “got the right to sing the blues”! 11:13 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Indeed, happy St. Cecilia’s Day. And, since it’s also Britten’s birth date,... 11:13 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Now that Die Voigt has her own radio program on WQXR (“The Sopranos”... 11:11 AM
  • DeepSouthSenior: Hymel’s strength as ” . . .comfort with constant high-ish tessitura . . ”... 11:09 AM
  • NPW-Paris: I see in this month’s Opéra Magazine that at the Montpellier Opera, which is struggling,... 10:21 AM
  • Will: Maybe in a big space her voice smooths out, but I don’t hear the beguilingly soft and sweet top... 10:17 AM
  • Cicciabella: - tenors whose cars get stolen 10:01 AM
  • armerjacquino: A huge round of applause for the thread title. 9:46 AM
  • MontyNostry: - Ethnic paranoia. - Snide jokes that you can’t understand and which probably aren’t... 9:31 AM
  • Hippolyte: Happy St. Cecilia’s Day! httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=xTh1 suJcO5I 9:17 AM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.