• gerbear: Thank you PCally: Ms. Pieczonka was the first person I thought of as well. 10:38 PM
  • Krunoslav: “what to make of Christopher Marlowe’s Edward II? ” That’s a Poker Scene to rival the one in FANCIULLA. 9:10 PM
  • m. croche: The lyrical, expressive score by Paula M. Kimper is the opera’s central attraction, and the closest comparison I can make to... 4:38 PM
  • La Cieca: Check back tomorrow at noon for a link to the video and a discussion page for La Juive. 4:23 PM
  • NPW-Paris: Another senior moment. I read “porker̶ 1;. 1:25 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: Anna Netrebko’s “Vier letzte Lieder” (“Four Last Songs”) of Richard Strauss are now on Mixcloud. Christian... 1:04 PM
  • laddie: Whoops, WRONG day, dearie. 11:52 AM
  • laddie: No thread for La Juive? 11:51 AM

The sweet smell of success

woolfe_twitter [@zwoolfe]

• 1
    phoenix says:

oh good heavens, who was it? It was a Boheme last nite, i think. Such a proprietously considerate gesture… was it accompanied by the appropo expression alluding to the “answer” … so the audience could at least imagine the ecstasy of inhaling the fragrance of one’s own body odours. This most important aspect of operatic art further justifies Smell-O-Vision being installed at these HD opera broadcast theaters!

• 2
    Gualtier M says:

Okay -- whose pits would you rather sniff? Grigolo or Garanca?

• 3

This is an gesture best kept to A Fish Called Wanda.

• 4
    Loge says:

Well, if it is Boheme it is set in France. You can insert your own stereotype.

• 5
    vendorune says:

I believe this was a Carmen topic, not Boheme.

I personally understand people who find the smell of sweat attractive, regardless of gender or orientation.

• 5.1
      Loge says:

The original post was on Saturday morning. It refers to the opera the night before which was Boheme.

• 6
    vendorune says:

err… DON’T understand that was supposed to say. ^^

• 7
    pasavant says:

This has to be Gergiev. Several years ago I attended his Otello at the Met ( gloriously sung by Domingo and Vaness) . I was sitting in the very front row about two seat to the left of Mr. Gergiev. Every time that he lifted his arms there was a very strong BO odor . Fortunately the lady next to me had a bottle of eau de cologne which she kindly shpritzed on a handkerchief and waved around during intermission.

• 7.1
      Harry says:

That figures..Gergiev looks a grubby unwashed grot. It was reputed that peasant Nureyev used to carry hard boiled eggs in his pocket around, to eat.

• 8
    Loge says:

I took this more as a quick check to make sure he or she doesn’t stink before coming into contact with the love interest.

• 9
    Maury D says:

Marina in Boris Godunov and Wotan in Rheingold, I hope.