• Milady DeWinter: Well this is a Happy Monday/post-Thanks giving treat, thank you, JML! The cast, besides Martina and Milnes, looks sort of... 9:18 AM
  • Donna Anna: Her Juliette with Alagna in 1994? from Covent Garden is wonderful–sh e really embodied an adolescent who has to mature... 8:42 AM
  • Porgy Amor: I got the same reaction when I took a friend to a local Trovatore years ago, grim. General enjoyment throughout but then a... 8:01 AM
  • grimoaldo: ” I’ve decided that Traviata maybe isn’t the best opera to introduce the art form to someone. Too much prolonged... 7:02 AM
  • grimoaldo: ” She just kept whining on and on about the painting with a kind of pouty bitchy face, facing the stage and gesturing to... 6:08 AM
  • grimoaldo: Thank you for all that antikitschychick, a most enjoyable read! 5:28 AM
  • Cicciabella: This week’s Building A Library on BBC Radio 3 concentrates on Norma. Ignore Roger Parker’s references to daddy... 4:11 AM
  • antikitschychick: Ach! Yet another blunder. Opera teen saw the same performance I saw since yesterday was the 28th. Apologies. I am... 2:04 AM

Desert island DVD

Ariadne_dvdThis is a performance I never thought I’d see. This 2003 Met performance of Ariadne auf Naxos was filmed, but got tied up in some kind of (legal?) dispute and never televised, and I had long written it off as being tucked away in a vault, doomed to be “the lost telecast.”

So it is with great pleasure that I say that this video of Ariadne is not only available, but a must-buy for any serious fan of the opera. Despite an uneven production, the is strong enough to recommend immediate purchase.

Considering the DVD is being released as part of the James Levine 40th Anniversary box set, its appropriate to start with the man himself, and it’s a pleasure to report that this is one the maestro’s strongest performances of the opera.

Compared to the other Ariadne DVD conducted by Levine (also from the Met in 1988, featuring Jessye Norman, Kathleen Battle and the sublime Tatiana Troyanos), Levine’s baton is tighter, tauter and a bit more attuned to the forward momentum of the opera. In the second half, everything seems to lead inevitably towards the final duet, which Levine gives a stirring expressivity.

Elijah Moshinsky seems to have staged the opera as two separate one-acts only nominally linked. Although that’s a legitimate way of looking at Ariadne, Moshinsky’s output is uneven. The Prologue, with a drab backstage set and plenty of actors running about underfoot, is often annoyingly busy. Moshinsky seems to understand the opera, and his staging of the principals is generally spot-on.

If only he didn’t rely so heavily on distracting supernumeraries, of which there are far too many! The commedia troupe has more than doubled in size, and what’s more he generally fails to use them effectively. And why, oh why are there children in a burlesque comedy troupe? As a result, the slapstick of Zerbinetta’s four goons (or, as here, her twelve or thirteen goons) is far more distracting and unfunny than it should be.

On the whole, Moshinsky fares best in the opera seria. With its sparse set and striking 12-foot tall Nymphs, the fantasy elements are well at play here. ??Levine aside, the video’s real strength is in its leading ladies. Ariadne was always one of Deborah Voigt’s best roles, and she is absolutely stunning here.

In her prime and in glorious voice, she gives an absolutely stunning “Es gibt ein Reich” culminating in a thrilling high B-flat that is launched with enough power as to enter orbit. She also turns in a against-type essay in farcical diva business as the Prima Donna in the prologue. Turning on a dime from simpering sweetness to the wrath of God, the resemblance to Miss Piggy is uncanny. (Please understand that I am not referring to her weight, this performance being, of course, pre-surgery).

Speaking of surgery, these Ariadnes were Natalie Dessay’s first performances at the Met after recovery from vocal nodes. She takes some time to warm up, but for the most part, she is in fine voice. She is a layered, fascinating Zerbinetta, her cheerfulness barely concealing a vulnerable woman who is world-weary and cynical before her time. Her attraction to the Composer seems fostered primarily by his idealism rather than in spite of it. Their duet is far and away the best part of the Vorspiel.

It is in the second half where Dessay really shines. “Großmächtige Prinzessin” is less of a performance and more of a master class in how to perform that aria. It’s stunning. While it may not be the most technically perfect rendition, every word, every note, every gesture is given intense meaning. This is Zerbinetta’s credo, and Dessay understands the passion that such a woman must have and what a toll it must take on her. This performance features none of the fussiness or mannerisms that she often falls pray to. Hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time, this is Dessay at her considerable best.

Susanne Mentzer completes the trio of leading ladies with one of the best Composers I’ve ever seen. Completely convincing dramatically (and visually plausible as a young man), Mentzer’s Composer has a wild-eyed intensity that makes it instantly clear how devoted he is to his craft. He is naïve and melodramatic, to be sure, but this is not the superficial ninny that is so often portrayed in Ariadne performances. Mentzer goes deeper. It helps that she is in excellent voice, and closes the first act with a superb rendition of “Musik ist eine Heilige Kunst.” Hers is a darker sound than what is usually heard in the role (which is, after all, technically a soprano one), but the sound is lovely and used exquisitely.

Out of the major roles, only Richard Margison disappoints, but then only slightly, and disappointment is practically a pre-requisite for Bacchus. The high notes do not come easily and he is far from subtle musically or dramatically, but he gets through the impossible role better than most.

The other men are more impressive. Wolfgang Brendel is a wonderfully neurotic Music Master, and it is a great pleasure to have such a link to the Wiener Staatsoper as veteran tenor Waldemar Kmentt (as the Major-Domo). Barely tolerating everyone around him, Kmentt gives every word the droll specificity of one who is completely above the proceedings. Among the smaller roles, Tony Stephenson is an exceptional Dancing Master and James Courtney is a hilariously pompous Lackey.

Nathan Gunn, shortly before he removed his shirt and burst onto the international scene, is a charming Harlekin. The clowns’ quartet (which features Eric Cutler, another future headliner) is excellent. The three Nymphs are individually pleasing (especially Alexandra Deshorties’ Echo), but do not quite congeal in their trios.

The experienced eyes of Brian Large are behind the camera, and although he cuts a bit too frequently, this is one of his better jobs. Both the video and sound quality are generally excellent, but there was a brief glitch on the second disk of the promotional copy I reviewed. My copy also had no menus, extras or subtitles, all of which I assume will be present on the final product.

There are several fine Ariadnes on DVD, not the least of which is Levine’s 1988 effort mentioned above, but this new disk seems far from superfluous; in fact, it is a strong contender for pick of the crop. In a dead heat, the 1988 performance would probably come out ahead, but we are extremely lucky to be so spoiled for choice, and the Met deserves a huge kudos for pulling this performance out of the vault.

• Conchita says:

Saw this at the Met, same cast. My memory of it was that it was a near perfect performance in every way. Voigt was in great, fat voice, luscious, as she used to be. I’ve not seen an Ariadne to match it. This will be a must get for me.

• xiaoming says:

Nice review. “Levine’s baton is tighter [and] tauter” -- tee hee.

• tannengrin says:

Saw this at the Met & loved it, too. But I didn’t have Gunn, I liked my nymphs especially in their trios, and I think the Bacchus was a so-so Heppner.

• calaf47 says:

The only time Heppner sang ARIADNE with the Met Opera was in 1996 in Frankfurt, Germany.

• Harry says:

calaf 47 I saw Heppner sing Ariadne in 88 or 89….three times. What a voice it was then. I have a big laminated still from it, somewhere here in the house.

• calaf47 says:

Sorry…but Mr Heppner was a national Met Opera finalist in April 10, 1988…with this being his first appearance at the Met opera. Perhaps he sang Bacchus at another venue…but certainly not at the Met. Ms Dessay only sang 2 runs as Zerbinetta: 1997 and 2003.

• tannengrin says:

good Lord! My mind is going, fast! I probably saw Margison, then, because I DO remember Voigt, Dessay and Mentzer. Gunn may have slipped my mind because he kept his shirt on.

• calaf47 says:

It may have been the first time round…in 1997…when it was Voigt/Dessay/Mentzer…and the Bacchus was Thomas Moser…with one sung by Jon Frederick West.

Bacchus was one of Heppner’s best roles. The Strauss tenor roles (with their demanding tessitura) suited Heppner beautifully in his prime. His studio recording with Voigt/Dessay/Von Otter/Sinopoli is wonderful.

• chaka says:

I saw this at the MET. It was the first time I experienced Dessay live—and I’ve been in love ever since.

• LittleMasterMiles says:

What everyone else said. I saw it, I loved it, and I’ll buy the DVD.

• Harry says:

What I find disappointing with so many Met releases is the number done, even in the last 10 years in 1.33 screen ratio. How long did it take the Met to wake up, there was such a thing as ’16/9 wide -screen’?
    How ironic it is today, to see the MET virtually saying “Look, look…. we are producing transmissions in H.D digital, and 5/1 sound” Big belated deal!

• orfeoedeuridice says:

Just to say that the 1978 telecast of Tosca with Pavarotti & Verrett is soon going out on DVD on DECCA

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

Oh wow! Yay! I actually don’t think the role suited Verrett’s voice. She was a mezzo with great upper extension, which totally works in Norma, but think Tosca is set too high for her voice. BUT She is an incandescent actress and I can not wait to see the full realized performance. What a season for opera fans!!

• Orlando Furioso says:

Yow! Now that’s one I REALLY never thought we’d see again. The backlog of telecasts (pre-moviecasts) is actually reaching the point where we have more available than not.

What’s left? I doubt the Bonynge Don Giovanni will ever emerge (though possibly Decca will go for the Sutherland connection), and honestly it wasn’t good aside from Varady and Bacquier. Then there’s Carmelites, which I know some are longing for. I really want the Billy Budd to appear. What else are we lacking?

• scifisci says:

hoffman from the late 80′s though that’s on met player, bluebeard’s castle/erwartung w/ jessye, traviata w/ cotrubas from the early 80′s, sutherland hoffman and traviata from japan, and of course all those early 50′s/60′s/early 70′s telecasts that were mostly likely destroyed.

• The Bartlett Sherr Barbiere from 2007 thank you! And the 1997 Forza and the 1999 Pique Dame -- yes I know these were transposed for Domingo but what the heck, they should be available!

But first and foremost that Barbiere -- DiDonato, Florez, Mattei. Perfect cast, good production. Big fun. The best Barbiere available, audio or video.

• louannd says:

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the Barbiere -- I’ve watched it like a million times on the Met player. I just hope someday I can see Peter Mattei sing Don Giovanni.

• OpinionatedNeophyte says:

The comparisons with the long available 1988 video are inevitable and I hate to say it but Battle’s Zerbinetta is what will probably sink that recording in comparison to this one. She is pitch perfect in the little duet in the prologue, but the Aria is a mess, sung in half voice, coy not sexy, flirty but too girly. Zerbinetta is a woman and that’s one thing Battle never learned how to be on stage.

I think in most other respects its a toss up, with Norman slightly edging out Voigt overall, but not enough to erase that awkward 25-30 minutes where Battle and her lackluster troupe take over the opera. Can’t wait until this is available! Also since its 2003, this is kind of the last hurrah for Voigt pre-surgery isn’t it? Bitter sweet almost.

Natalie Dessay’s debut as Zerbinetta in 1997 was freaking phenomenal, I know, because I stood and yelled !Brava! With some other fans. Likewise, the Olympia in Hoffmann,
    a couple years later when she was tres enceinte. An extraordinary tour de force performance.

What happened? I don’t know nor do I presume to, but this later representation is an imitation of that glorious first run. Ask anyone who heard it in ’97.

• ilpenedelmiocor says:

Is there no recording of the original 1993 cast of this production (Norman, Swenson, Mentzer, Thomas Moser as Bacchus, and Thomas Stewart as the Musiklehrer)? I went nuts when I saw it….

• CL in DC says:

Ariadne is one of my favorite operas, and I’m always more than happy to add a new recording to my collection.

CL- try the recording just added on Opera Depot. It’s only the opera- no prologue- but alongside Rita Streich as Zerbinetta and an interestingly light, Mozartian William Lewis as Bacchus, is a surprisingly radiant Ariadne from Lucine Amara (and I say ‘surprisingly’ as someone who already loved her)

• CL in DC says:

Thanks for the tip! I only discovered Ariadne last season, so I still have much to take in.