• Feldmarschallin: BTW I loved Alexandra Reinprecht in Zirkusprinzessin last night. It was fun to see it in the... 8:59 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well that is a smart move. She can sing the Liebestod in concert and should leave it at... 8:58 AM
  • Cicciabella: I hope I understand correctly that WindyCityOperaMan& #8217;s unmissable birthday tributes are... 8:39 AM
  • arepo: What a pastiche of deliciousness. Okay, here’s my contribution: https://www.you... 8:20 AM
  • arepo: This was sumptuous. Callas at her best. And those bells! I never heard bells with that haunting a... 8:18 AM
  • Krunoslav: That’s what we love about you, Feldie– infinite pity for the thin, fashionable and... 7:55 AM
  • Buster: Thanks, FM. Interesting interview, especially what she has to say on Hans Sotin, and Wagner & bel... 7:51 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes and let’t also hope she never sings again and her two orphaned children will have... 7:22 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: http://www.br.de/r adio/br-klassik/pr ogrammkalender/sen dung885060.html Zum Nachhören. 6:16 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Buster I just heard Schwanewilms on the radio and her two wish roles are Capriccio Gräfin... 5:51 AM

Fais pâlir les étoiles!

costello_thumbLa Cieca just heard that Stephen Costello goes on tonight (i.e., in just a few hours) in Roméo et Juliette at the Salzburg Festival opposite Anna Netrebko. He’s jumping in for Piotr Beczala, who, if you ask Norman Lebrecht, is probably malingering with a South Seas cutie.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

Netrebko devours her Romeos like no other Juliet! She had four in New York, I think, and now two in Salzburg. BTW, how is she doing? Someone wrote that her voice sounded the best ever.

• fartnose mcgoo says:

Are you talking about the Gounod one? I was talking about the Capuleti one. I’m sure she’d be good as Juliette in Gounod’s telling.

• Sanford says:

One of my favorite complete recordings of all time is Capuletti with Larmore and Hong. OMGawd! AMazing singing and conducting. Frankly, if push came to shove, I’d rather hear Renee in Capuletti than Trebs in Anna Bolena. But I don’t think either singer is right for those operas.

Just for the heck of it, and for those who have not seen it and have a couple of hours to spare :

Julia Migenes a few years ago in her one-woman show.

• Buster says:

The bookclub thread seems to be closed. On James McCourt:

Great book. Excellent choice for this site too -- since most of what we know about Mawrdew Czgowchwz we only know through comments by other people -- fans, in particular.

There are about four pages in the book where the diva herself speaks, but those pages (two dialogues between her and the curiously faceless Jacob Beltane) read more like a script for an unrealized movie than a “real” dialogue. How real is that Beltane guy, anyhow?

I am certainly planning to read more of his work. I also loved the Koestenbaum introduction. The style of the book reminded me more of Answered Prayers than of Firbank, by the way. Loved it to bits.

I’m glad this host is not broadcasting in the USA:

• LittleMasterMiles says:

OT, especially since he didn’t even have to cancel, but it’s another sign of heterosexuality run amok in the music world: