• ML: Wouldn’t know where to begin! About this case, platinum to gold is likely. Question is, what... 3:54 AM
  • La Cieca: Honestly, show me where my arguments have been black/white. In this case I think the concessions... 3:09 AM
  • ML: Pot calls kettle black. If this becomes a 12-month conflict, “Parterre Box presents La Cieca”... 2:39 AM
  • Lohengrin: Thank you Ciccibella, very interesting. Listen to: http://de.euronews .com/2014/07/10... 2:10 AM
  • Stefan: There have been many unpleasant things said by all parties – management, unions and on here... 1:42 AM
  • la vociaccia: It’s unfortunate just how aggressively major orchestras try to sell that angle of the War... 1:37 AM
  • La Cieca: Tell me more about your black-and-white, either-or, completely binary view of the world. 1:22 AM
  • mozartFreak: I’m just horrified at how many of you come here to voice your disdain and downright... 1:01 AM
  • Donna Anna: We saw the LOC Manon with Dessay and Kaufmann; both were wonderful. Dessay’s Manon was... 12:28 AM

Fais pâlir les étoiles!

costello_thumbLa Cieca just heard that Stephen Costello goes on tonight (i.e., in just a few hours) in Roméo et Juliette at the Salzburg Festival opposite Anna Netrebko. He’s jumping in for Piotr Beczala, who, if you ask Norman Lebrecht, is probably malingering with a South Seas cutie.

• Constantine A. Papas says:

Netrebko devours her Romeos like no other Juliet! She had four in New York, I think, and now two in Salzburg. BTW, how is she doing? Someone wrote that her voice sounded the best ever.

• fartnose mcgoo says:

Are you talking about the Gounod one? I was talking about the Capuleti one. I’m sure she’d be good as Juliette in Gounod’s telling.

• Sanford says:

One of my favorite complete recordings of all time is Capuletti with Larmore and Hong. OMGawd! AMazing singing and conducting. Frankly, if push came to shove, I’d rather hear Renee in Capuletti than Trebs in Anna Bolena. But I don’t think either singer is right for those operas.

Just for the heck of it, and for those who have not seen it and have a couple of hours to spare :

Julia Migenes a few years ago in her one-woman show.

• Buster says:

The bookclub thread seems to be closed. On James McCourt:

Great book. Excellent choice for this site too -- since most of what we know about Mawrdew Czgowchwz we only know through comments by other people -- fans, in particular.

There are about four pages in the book where the diva herself speaks, but those pages (two dialogues between her and the curiously faceless Jacob Beltane) read more like a script for an unrealized movie than a “real” dialogue. How real is that Beltane guy, anyhow?

I am certainly planning to read more of his work. I also loved the Koestenbaum introduction. The style of the book reminded me more of Answered Prayers than of Firbank, by the way. Loved it to bits.

I’m glad this host is not broadcasting in the USA:

• LittleMasterMiles says:

OT, especially since he didn’t even have to cancel, but it’s another sign of heterosexuality run amok in the music world: