• willym: I would have thought that would be Der Fledermaus in most houses????? 8:44 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: Another Rimsky-Korsakov opera “Snegourchka ” could be an interesting choice,... 8:08 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Thanks for that clip from Four Saints in Three Acts, which really needs a DVD release,... 7:54 PM
  • LittleMasterMiles: My vote for frothy holiday fun is Orphée aux Enfers, which I’m shocked to see the... 7:51 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: This is getting graphic :D 7:48 PM
  • zinka: I am ageless…She was a good diver..could sing chest voice undr water. 7:45 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: You went swimming with Pauline Viardot? Just how old are you, zinka? 7:33 PM
  • pirelli: I don’t think it was a terrible idea, generally speaking. I also tend to think that Wolfe did... 7:32 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: I too have wondered why The Merry Widow has held the stage in countries other than... 7:23 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=_HAu 7xr8fQc Here is dear Shakeh. 7:15 PM

Spinning chorus

katharina_spider“Her gal-pal friends play with what look like the tails of exotic serpents and keep huge spiders as pets. I was not exactly sure what this all meant. Still, the kids squealed with delight.” No more delighted than La Cieca was when she realized that Katharina Wagner has finally caught up to Mary Zimmerman in the use of oversized arachnidae in operatic Regie! [NY Times]

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Geez, it’s almost the end of the firs week of August. Isn’t it about time for Gelb to announce who will be conducting Opening Night?

A Wagnerian heroine whose friends keep spiders? Rather than Elisabeth, surely it should be Senta — it’s her pals who sing a spinning song.

Je pars quelques jours en France et a mon retour je vois qu’il y en a toujours parmi nous qui ont une araignée dans le plafond…

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Bien revenu, manou -- and I’m afraid that Britain (well, Wales anyway) has been falling to pieces in your absence. For the second year running, Bryn has to cancel his festival:

Poor sales. Alas, not even Arachne could put a creative spin on this story. Bryn is a draw, so it must be doen to location, location, location…

Merci BV -- I also had the privilege to read “Enrique Iglesias Water-Skis Naked” from the link you gave……don’t all rush: no photos.

• orfeoedeuridice says:

A bit out of subject but the Met’s HD Rondine will be on DVD soon!

• Nerva Nelli says:

Meanwhile, Tony (yes traveling at the TIMES’ expense, are you kidding?) is at his exercise:

“The tenor Jeffrey Dowd brought a robust voice to the title role and looked endearing in his ragtag shirt and dingy jeans.”

Maybe TT should do some Grace Ann-like boundary crashing and sing Venus next time around. Can you Photoshop that, Cieca?