• Poison Ivy: For Cinderella completists, my first ever “Cinderella& #8221; recording of anything... 12:15 AM
  • Camille: You know, Dame Maggie Teyte made such a beautiful recording of “Beau soir”. I do not... 11:57 PM
  • Camille: I most certainly DO love it! Just ask papopera, for he is our resident expert on the Dugazon,... 11:51 PM
  • Camille: Café-concerts, it should read. Someone will must certainly gratify themself by jumping my arse if I... 11:48 PM
  • Krunoslav: ‘soprano de sentiment’, “dugazonR 21; — gotta love it! 11:36 PM
  • Lady Bracknell: JDF cancelled an entire run of BARBIERE in Chicago 6 or 7 years ago saying that he choked on... 11:36 PM
  • Camille: Oh thank you, Krunoslav. I had entirely forgotten about that curious denomination ‘soprano de... 11:02 PM
  • Krunoslav: “What I recall is “Falcon ou ‘soprano de sentiment’&# 8221;; no mention... 10:37 PM
  • Camille: Pardon me, but is this Peter KazarAs, the former tenor who is associated with Seattle Opera, or... 10:01 PM
  • Camille: That reminds me, in the book Never sang for Hitler: The Life and Times of Lotte Lehmann, [Michael... 9:53 PM

Spinning chorus

katharina_spider“Her gal-pal friends play with what look like the tails of exotic serpents and keep huge spiders as pets. I was not exactly sure what this all meant. Still, the kids squealed with delight.” No more delighted than La Cieca was when she realized that Katharina Wagner has finally caught up to Mary Zimmerman in the use of oversized arachnidae in operatic Regie! [NY Times]

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Geez, it’s almost the end of the firs week of August. Isn’t it about time for Gelb to announce who will be conducting Opening Night?

A Wagnerian heroine whose friends keep spiders? Rather than Elisabeth, surely it should be Senta — it’s her pals who sing a spinning song.

Je pars quelques jours en France et a mon retour je vois qu’il y en a toujours parmi nous qui ont une araignée dans le plafond…

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Bien revenu, manou -- and I’m afraid that Britain (well, Wales anyway) has been falling to pieces in your absence. For the second year running, Bryn has to cancel his festival:

Poor sales. Alas, not even Arachne could put a creative spin on this story. Bryn is a draw, so it must be doen to location, location, location…

Merci BV -- I also had the privilege to read “Enrique Iglesias Water-Skis Naked” from the link you gave……don’t all rush: no photos.

• orfeoedeuridice says:

A bit out of subject but the Met’s HD Rondine will be on DVD soon!

• Nerva Nelli says:

Meanwhile, Tony (yes traveling at the TIMES’ expense, are you kidding?) is at his exercise:

“The tenor Jeffrey Dowd brought a robust voice to the title role and looked endearing in his ragtag shirt and dingy jeans.”

Maybe TT should do some Grace Ann-like boundary crashing and sing Venus next time around. Can you Photoshop that, Cieca?