• Olivero is my Drug of Choice: I saw ATS in the ’84 run of Lohengrin with Domingo and Marton. She was... 6:59 PM
  • Niel Rishoi: Mercadante, I looked up Leah Partridge on YouTube, and found this clip of her singing “Ah!... 6:55 PM
  • MontyNostry: I saw ATS quite a number of times. I didn’t think Tosca was her role either, but I can... 6:51 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: I love wearing fur in the cold, but have you seen the huge fur coat on Netrebko̵... 6:34 PM
  • armerjacquino: Thanks, Monty! I never saw ATS live- I was supposed to get her as Ariadne, but she cancelled... 6:31 PM
  • armerjacquino: To be fair to Romano, she was given a place in the final- although on the other hand, not all... 6:28 PM
  • MontyNostry: Mazel tov, armer! The whole opera’s a riot, so you should have fun, though the obvious... 6:25 PM
  • armerjacquino: I worked with Plowright’s sister at the end of last year, she’s a lovely woman.... 6:23 PM
  • steveac10: It’s been gone here for more than 30 years. As a vocal performance undergrad I got 1 hour a... 6:10 PM
  • dexter: It makes me feel very old (and god knows what it does to her) to realise that I heard Rosalind... 6:05 PM

Spinning chorus

katharina_spider“Her gal-pal friends play with what look like the tails of exotic serpents and keep huge spiders as pets. I was not exactly sure what this all meant. Still, the kids squealed with delight.” No more delighted than La Cieca was when she realized that Katharina Wagner has finally caught up to Mary Zimmerman in the use of oversized arachnidae in operatic Regie! [NY Times]

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Geez, it’s almost the end of the firs week of August. Isn’t it about time for Gelb to announce who will be conducting Opening Night?

A Wagnerian heroine whose friends keep spiders? Rather than Elisabeth, surely it should be Senta — it’s her pals who sing a spinning song.

Je pars quelques jours en France et a mon retour je vois qu’il y en a toujours parmi nous qui ont une araignée dans le plafond…

• Baltsamic Vinaigrette says:

Bien revenu, manou -- and I’m afraid that Britain (well, Wales anyway) has been falling to pieces in your absence. For the second year running, Bryn has to cancel his festival:

Poor sales. Alas, not even Arachne could put a creative spin on this story. Bryn is a draw, so it must be doen to location, location, location…

Merci BV -- I also had the privilege to read “Enrique Iglesias Water-Skis Naked” from the link you gave……don’t all rush: no photos.

• orfeoedeuridice says:

A bit out of subject but the Met’s HD Rondine will be on DVD soon!

• Nerva Nelli says:

Meanwhile, Tony (yes traveling at the TIMES’ expense, are you kidding?) is at his exercise:

“The tenor Jeffrey Dowd brought a robust voice to the title role and looked endearing in his ragtag shirt and dingy jeans.”

Maybe TT should do some Grace Ann-like boundary crashing and sing Venus next time around. Can you Photoshop that, Cieca?