• redbear: Yes. A long life. His Also Sprach was first performed today in 1896. 5:27 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Didn’t he die in 1949? 5:20 AM
  • redbear: s/b 1918 5:19 AM
  • redbear: Today in 1981, Richard Strauss was appointed to head the Vienna State Opear 5:18 AM
  • Chanterelle: Glad to read that audiences were sticking around. The two performances I attended had... 4:48 AM
  • Krunoslav: Surely you are not implying that the success of the WERTHER production wasn’t due chiefly to... 4:47 AM
  • Krunoslav: ” I can think of very few tenors who could have handled Ades’ Caliban with such... 4:42 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well nobody said that they performances were at the Met. There are still a few other houses... 3:49 AM
  • tiger1: I think I read somewhere that DiDonato will no longer be singing Semiramide, at least not at the Met.... 3:37 AM
  • tiger1: Dear GU, Yes, Desdemona might be terrified and fearing for her life when singing the Ave Maria... 3:29 AM

Scotto sings again

scotto_thumbThe tutelary goddess of parterre.com performs a few phrases of La bohème — in 2010.

• wladek says:

for sheer fakery this mad lucy bit takes the prize, was that odd last note a
    something or other . They should have thrown bowls of sushi at her . But to
    be fair as is everyone here , she did
    have a half page of some hopeful artisty ,then she went on to cover
    her inability to sing correctly what was written. But — it is better than
    the unbearable Sutherland yodel
    that many take as singing .

• Ruxton says:

ardath- sorry but your statement about Scotto not being identified with a single role that “somebody else didn’t do better” is probably one of the most stupid assertions I’ve ever read- you could make that statement about every singer alive or dead.
    Obviously you haven’t heard though- for many years it was said her Butterfly was as close to definitive as you could get.

Plus, if one *is* going to play the asinine ‘Who’s best?’ game, it would be hard to think of a better Angelica.

• brooklynpunk says:

WHO WUOLD HAVE EVER THUNK IT…..?!?!?

AND…SHE AINT HALF BAD AT THAT…AT AGE 61….!!

httpv//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn7CirMREyU&playnext_from=TL&videos=BUKGTexF-Sc&feature=grec_index

• brooklynpunk says:

This is what I meant to post before,,,,SORRY…!

• Stephilius says:

That first clip? Mimi’s death? I cried! The great Scotto!

• Alto says:

I find Pappano very appealing in that opening clip of La Cieca’s. Is the full series of three shows available in the U.S.?