• rapt: Andrew Porter notes, in discussing the revisions the opera went through, that the debutante of the first version wsa a Susanna, of... 5:43 PM
  • Chimene: WOW…? 5:33 PM
  • armerjacquino: You rang? httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=MkLA ROqtZfg 5:29 PM
  • Dolciamente Pipo: I guess I don’t consider Erna Berger a lyric soprano, really, but more of a light coloratura…t hat’s... 5:16 PM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: That should not be too much or a surprise. Afterall, Butterfly was composed for a lyric soprano and the role’s... 4:34 PM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: If you are surprised by this raise your hand….. Just as I thought. I hope Keenlyside will have a speedy recovery... 4:29 PM
  • la vociaccia: Lisa Della Casa also made her operatic debut as Butterfly. 4:17 PM
  • Dolciamente Pipo: In August Everding’s great Da Capo interview with Erna Berger, I was surprised to hear her say that she often sang... 3:57 PM

Scotto sings again

scotto_thumbThe tutelary goddess of parterre.com performs a few phrases of La bohème — in 2010.

• wladek says:

for sheer fakery this mad lucy bit takes the prize, was that odd last note a
    something or other . They should have thrown bowls of sushi at her . But to
    be fair as is everyone here , she did
    have a half page of some hopeful artisty ,then she went on to cover
    her inability to sing correctly what was written. But — it is better than
    the unbearable Sutherland yodel
    that many take as singing .

• Ruxton says:

ardath- sorry but your statement about Scotto not being identified with a single role that “somebody else didn’t do better” is probably one of the most stupid assertions I’ve ever read- you could make that statement about every singer alive or dead.
    Obviously you haven’t heard though- for many years it was said her Butterfly was as close to definitive as you could get.

Plus, if one *is* going to play the asinine ‘Who’s best?’ game, it would be hard to think of a better Angelica.

• brooklynpunk says:

WHO WUOLD HAVE EVER THUNK IT…..?!?!?

AND…SHE AINT HALF BAD AT THAT…AT AGE 61….!!

httpv//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn7CirMREyU&playnext_from=TL&videos=BUKGTexF-Sc&feature=grec_index

• brooklynpunk says:

This is what I meant to post before,,,,SORRY…!

• Stephilius says:

That first clip? Mimi’s death? I cried! The great Scotto!

• Alto says:

I find Pappano very appealing in that opening clip of La Cieca’s. Is the full series of three shows available in the U.S.?