• Milady DeWinter: I meant to type “withOUT the usual mentoring or Serafin”, of course. 1:36 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Marshissima – thank you for the recommendations for the Divina sets in her demented... 1:35 PM
  • Grane: LOL. Or has La Cieca become a Scotsman? Here is the clip. Very poignant. httpv://www.you... 12:47 PM
  • luvtennis: I always block out Medea for some reason. Perhaps because I much prefer to hear the piece in... 12:44 PM
  • Gualtier M: Okay we may have come up with a winner here. James Rutherford is an ensemble artist at the Graz... 12:40 PM
  • luvtennis: I think you are a year younger than me so by my calculation, you should only been weaned in the... 12:33 PM
  • olliedawg: My first, second, and third reaction, too, toitoitoi, along with “oy vey”. I know you... 12:28 PM
  • kashania: I’ve heard Pape’s Wagner album. To my ears, his voice doesn’t sound its best as... 12:28 PM
  • ML: Congrats, Jungfer. And glad to hear my Graz impressions were on the mark. It really is a role for a... 12:11 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: James Rutherford was spectacular as Sachs at Bayreuth in 2010 and 2011. And... 12:01 PM

Things never change, Jo

dame_joIn a tidbit sure to warm the cockles of Our Own Vicar of John Wakefield, beloved artist Dame Josephine Barstow will return to the ‘boards’ of the Gran Teatre de Liceu in April 2011.  The legendary septuagenarian singing actress will be heard in the pivotal rôle of “Mummy Lucy” in Richard Jones‘s inscenation of Rustic Chivalry.

• luvtennis says:

Vicar:

You need to stop mixing crack and heroin (or would that be opium or morpine in your case?)!

Whatever Barstow could do in the theatre or in other roles, the HvK recording is HORRIFIC. I no longer have any respects for the British bootlickers who pretended that it was an abomination.

Oh well, the claimed Plowright was the next Price (in terms of Verdi prowess). We all know how that turned out.

• luvtennis says:

“respect” “who pretended that it was anything other than an abomination.” Sigh. . . . I really have to get my secretary to start proofing my posts.

• Often admonished says:

but the original one was a better representation of your critical ability

• luvtennis says:

Wow, was that actually a completely gratuitous insult?

I would really appreciate some explanation as to why my opinion merits such an attack.

La Cieca -- I love the “lively” commentary on the forum. Bless you for providing it to all of us. But surely we have some rules of decorum. I would suggest that the following: Out of the blue insults must be accompanied by a 50 word explanation for the attack.

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Note to luvtennis. I can’t say that I saw anything particularly insulting in Often Admonished’s comment, but your response was wonderful. It was gracious, good-humored, and completely non-confrontational. I feel like insulting you myself, just to see your response.

Bravo. Or brava. Or bravi, in case you have Multiple Personality Disorder. Or are of royal descent. Or both.

• luvtennis says:

Betsy:

I have followed with your recent contributions on the site with a mixture of pleasure and envy (and gluttony and sloth. . .). Your wit -- your sheer flair for language is daunting -- and believe me, I am the last person to offer disinterested compliments. ;-) (actually, it should :-( [Is there an emoticon for the lust and envy that decline inevitably into evil and death - you know, the Iago emoticon] -- I really am envious of you. Do you need a young attractive personal assistant who aspires to replace you as the most beloved poster on Parterre? If so, you can email at AAE.net)

• mrmyster says:

luvten: good luck, hon; just make sure you get minimum wage.