• Chirper: Speaking of early in the game, I believe the musicians voted to strike about 7 or 8 weeks ago in the... 1:24 PM
  • NPW-Paris: And R. Fleming tested Il Pirata on us in Paris. After that, I thought she’d drop the idea... 1:17 PM
  • peter: Mediation!: http://tinyurl.com /oq87ne4 1:07 PM
  • Milady DeWinter: Claycomb is outstanding – and does (or used to) a VERY unusual (but effective) cadenza... 1:06 PM
  • armerjacquino: Ha, Monty. The word ‘Commonwealt h’ is one I only usually ever see on here, so for... 1:03 PM
  • MontyNostry: … and he had sung Pinkerton at ENO in London. (Another of those talented North Americans... 12:58 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Well, Kaufmann barely “opened up” in Act I of Parsifal, and I found it a bit... 12:55 PM
  • La Cieca: The Pinkerton at the Met I think was a “last-minute ” casting change; that is, after... 12:50 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Amneerees, strange, I absolutely adore Bergonzi, and he is one of my all time fav tenors,... 12:47 PM
  • MontyNostry: I think Hymel is a terrific singer, but – if I were a casting director – I... 12:43 PM

Tee party

tee_thumbOur Own CruzSF has devised a delightful new pastime, which consists of posing in a parterre box t-shirt “in front of the great and not-so-great opera houses of the world.”

First up: the Napa Valley Opera House.

That’s after the jump.

cruz_tshirt

The cher public are invited to join in the game. The signature parterre box tee is available at CafePress.

Happy to see the coffee mugs. It will be the evil twin to my Zabar’s!

Gentile La Cieca, how about developing a line of ladies’ tees, in tones of mauve, lavender, or ‘Parterre Purple’. I mean, there are several of us girls mixed up here, too, besides many ladies, and we would like to share in Parterre Pride!

• BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

“Gentile La Cieca”? “Gentile La Cieca” ! ! That’s painfully reminiscent of “F.B. Pinkerton, Jew. Jew.”

• LogeLizard says:

Nice shirt, nice build, but what’s with the cap concealing the eyes? Looks like a classified ad for an escort.

BIRTHDAY ALERT, La CIECHISSIMA!!

Isn’t today Samuel Barber’s 100th birthday and isn”t going to transmit the original broadcast of “Antony and Cleopatra”!!?? God, hoioe I didn’t miss it.

• CruzSF says:

On Sirius, the rebroadcast of the “Antony and Cleopatra” premiere starts at 9pm EST.

Oh, thank you sweet Sr. Cruz.
        So happy I can still hear it.

You are as good inside as the outer packaging looks!

• Nemorinopr says:

To think I heard that one on the radio the night of the premiere, trillion years ago….and I’m still here!!!!

• operaspike says:

“Tony & Cleo” in ’66 was my very first Met Opera broadcast, back when we still wrote on clay tablets. The rest is history. This should be fun to hear again…and the cast of Zeff thousands clumping around on the broken turntable as I recall.

• actfive says:

I want the black one! How come it’s $5 more than the white one???

Why, indeed?!?

And I WANT PARTERRE PURPLE! I mean, it’s queenly, after all.

• Sadie Salome says:

Hear, hear, for Parterre Purple, as well as for a baby doll-style t-shirt for us ladies.

• La Cieca says:

I think the black shirt is a slightly “beefier” fabric, plus apparently it’s more difficult to print on dark fabric than on light.

And of course black is so more forgiving.

I’ve been watching too many Oscar roundups.

So far, Leontyne and Justino, and Ezio too, sound just fine.

Oh, here comes “Give me some Music” let’s listen to Queen Leontyne!