• grimoaldo: “See the Valentino Costumes for Sofia Coppola’s Opera Debut” http://nymag.com/t hecut/2016/05/sofi a-coppola-and-... 7:34 AM
  • Rudolf: @ Opera Teen Are you familiar with the Bulgarian “Francesca&# 8221; recording with Raina Kabaivanska? On RCA. :-) 11:45 PM
  • DonCarloFanatic: Thanks for this treat. I’ve listened once but intend to listen again and again. Maybe someone here could answer... 11:14 PM
  • Camille: Bravo Javiercito! If it is as good here at the MET next season—there will be a revolution. What a voice. Additionally, Srta de... 10:57 PM
  • sogalitno: Merci beaucoup! listening now… what a treat cher! 10:33 PM
  • Camille: I forgot to ask: will this Lohengrin be recorded in any fashion at all? A webcast is likely too much to hope for. 10:31 PM
  • Camille: Heaps of gratitude to the anonymous donor, whomever he/she may be. I had to listen to it twice over for that was how taken I was... 10:16 PM
  • Krunoslav: Also: -Daniela Dessi -Olivia Stapp ( VESPRI in Geneva; I saw her TURANDOT at Torre del Lago, aptly matched with Antonio... 9:49 PM

Tee party

tee_thumbOur Own CruzSF has devised a delightful new pastime, which consists of posing in a parterre box t-shirt “in front of the great and not-so-great opera houses of the world.”

First up: the Napa Valley Opera House.

That’s after the jump.

cruz_tshirt

The cher public are invited to join in the game. The signature parterre box tee is available at CafePress.

• 1
    NYCOQ says:

Love the baseball cap…

• 2
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

Send one of those T-shirts to Sam Ramey!

• 3
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

I see there are available online. I guess I’ll have to order the black one for the next dark dance.

• 4
    Pelleas says:

Napa Valley has an opera house?

• 4.1
      CruzSF says:

Amazingly, YES! As far as I could see, a company called “Pocket Opera” performs there in the next month, but they also have concerts (for example, stand-up comedians, the Wailin’ Jennys, and ukelele wunderkind Jake Shimabukuro).

• 4.1.1
        Will says:

Small towns all over America have theaters called “opera house.” They were generally the largest theater in town — frequently the only one — and felt the name granted certain distinction on the community. Also, booking touring artists and companies was easier if you could tell them they’d play in the Leadville Opera House, for example.

• 4.1.2
        Pelleas says:

Yes, after posting that I did a google. The ukelele guy looks kind of cute.

I suppose I was just worried that it was some kind of lunatic tourist trap, offering wine tastings, singing sommeliers, and endless rounds of the Traviata brindisi.

• 5

May I request that tank tops (or better yet, string tank tops) be made available as well? Ercole does not wear T-shirts. He only wears tank tops not concealing his muscularity.

• 6
    djedushka says:

I would buy every shirt if that model comes with it!!!

• 7

OK, I guess I am the first one to say it (but surely not the 1st one to think it): Cruz is surely a hottie…

• 7.1
      79CXR says:

I would like to see him without the shirt. Handsome Cruz.

• 7.2
      CruzSF says:

(blush)

• 7.2.1
        BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

Blush, my ass. You knew you were going to get this the moment you posted it, you throbbing hunk of Post-Mayan man-meat, you.

• 7.2.1.1
          CruzSF says:

Hahaha. Oh Betsy, I love you. [FYI: It’s post-Boriquen, not -Mayan. :-) ]

• 7.2.1.2
          BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

I chose “Mayan” for the alliteration. “Post-Boriquen ban-beat” just doesn’t cut it.

• 7.2.1.3
          CruzSF says:

Don’t knock ban-beat ’til you’ve tried it. ;-)

• 7.2.1.4

Betsy, I will have to agree. As nice as mayan meat is 9and i have had some) we boricuas have the perfect combination of spice, salt and flan to make it the complete meal.

Cruz, I had no idea we were both boricuas. Contact me privately, please.

• 7.2.2
        Nemorinopr says:

Tres boricuas parterrianos: CruzSF, Lindoro Almaviva y Nemorinopr. BEWARE LA CIECA!!!

• 7.2.2.1
          armerjacquino says:

You wait. I found out recently that if you go beyond the East End scratters which make up my more recent ancestors, you end up at the French Protestant Church of London in the 16th century… which makes me a Huguenot. So if you’re not all careful I’ll sing you some boring coloratura.

• 7.2.2.2
          BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

I’d join you, Armer, but the Amish just hum.

• 7.2.2.3
          Liana says:

I like the idea, armer. The more so that my great grandfather was an officer of the Tsar, which means that I will sing Boris Godunov to your coloratura :).

• 8
    Alto says:

Oh, dear. If we’re to continue with these critiques of musculature and mien, it will limit the participation drastically, I fear.

• 9
    Camille says:

Cruz, you are so much cuter than I had imagined!

What city, specifically, does the Napa Opera House live in? I’d like to see a Pocket Opera (been around a long time now) there, instead of @ Legion of Honor, anyhow.

La Cieca cara, may persons with boobs wear the shirt as well? I’m talking moobs, either.

• 9.1
      CruzSF says:

LOL. (Blush) Camille, the Napa Opera House actually resides in the city of Napa. I don’t know the history of the building but imagine that it used to present operas regularly when the A-listers escaped the San Francisco summer fog during the late 19th century. You can find similar opera houses in just about every wine valley in Nor Cal.

I was shocked to see that Pocket Opera moved so far north (for those not familiar with the SF Bay Area, Napa is about an hour’s drive from SF). I remember when they used to be at the Legion of Honor theater and then at the Fort Mason Center Theater. I’m just happy to see they’re still making a go of it. As you know, some of the other small local companies closed within the last year.

• 10
    Camille says:

Correction: I obviously meant to say “I’m NOT talking moobs, either”.

• 11
    Camille says:

Happy to see the coffee mugs. It will be the evil twin to my Zabar’s!

Gentile La Cieca, how about developing a line of ladies’ tees, in tones of mauve, lavender, or ‘Parterre Purple’. I mean, there are several of us girls mixed up here, too, besides many ladies, and we would like to share in Parterre Pride!

• 11.1
      BETSY_ANN_BOBOLINK says:

“Gentile La Cieca”? “Gentile La Cieca” ! ! That’s painfully reminiscent of “F.B. Pinkerton, Jew. Jew.”

• 12
    LogeLizard says:

Nice shirt, nice build, but what’s with the cap concealing the eyes? Looks like a classified ad for an escort.

• 13
    Camille says:

BIRTHDAY ALERT, La CIECHISSIMA!!

Isn’t today Samuel Barber’s 100th birthday and isn”t going to transmit the original broadcast of “Antony and Cleopatra”!!?? God, hoioe I didn’t miss it.

• 13.1
      CruzSF says:

On Sirius, the rebroadcast of the “Antony and Cleopatra” premiere starts at 9pm EST.

• 13.1.1
        Camille says:

Oh, thank you sweet Sr. Cruz.
        So happy I can still hear it.

You are as good inside as the outer packaging looks!

• 13.1.2
        Nemorinopr says:

To think I heard that one on the radio the night of the premiere, trillion years ago….and I’m still here!!!!

• 13.1.2.1
          operaspike says:

“Tony & Cleo” in ’66 was my very first Met Opera broadcast, back when we still wrote on clay tablets. The rest is history. This should be fun to hear again…and the cast of Zeff thousands clumping around on the broken turntable as I recall.

• 14
    actfive says:

I want the black one! How come it’s $5 more than the white one???

• 14.1
      Camille says:

Why, indeed?!?

And I WANT PARTERRE PURPLE! I mean, it’s queenly, after all.

• 14.1.1
        Sadie Salome says:

Hear, hear, for Parterre Purple, as well as for a baby doll-style t-shirt for us ladies.

• 14.2
      La Cieca says:

I think the black shirt is a slightly “beefier” fabric, plus apparently it’s more difficult to print on dark fabric than on light.

• 14.2.1
        armerjacquino says:

And of course black is so more forgiving.

I’ve been watching too many Oscar roundups.

• 15
    Camille says:

So far, Leontyne and Justino, and Ezio too, sound just fine.

Oh, here comes “Give me some Music” let’s listen to Queen Leontyne!