• Camille: I still can’t remember for sure but I am pretty certain I saw that Tosca whilst still a virgin maiden (as the fact that Mr... 12:27 AM
  • Camille: ON THIS DAY I cleaned out my storage locker and finally found the missing half of my beloved and irreplaceable DON CARLOS score!... 12:08 AM
  • Camille: This sounds very good to me, her voice being very well suited to this role and not sounding as if she is just attempting to... 12:02 AM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: I took one look at the first scene of Das Rheingold televised on SKY turned it off. 11:26 PM
  • Camille: When I lived in L.A. For a few years in the last decade, occasionally I would pick up the Times to try and pay heed to Mr... 11:15 PM
  • Krunoslav: Armer? Does this casting make you, too, feel old as the hills? Francis Poulenc : Dialogues des Carmélites (“Dialogues of... 11:10 PM
  • Camille: My joints creak too much, Jungfer, but one never knows. That’s okay–just include a couple of the cheap beer and... 10:39 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: As long as I can still get up that Hill, I would rather prefer to keep my secret places just that: I... 10:25 PM

Guardians of the flame

lurch_thumbRenée Fleming and Dmitri Hvorostovsky offer an object lesson in the traditional old school performance practice of “lurch and flail” operatic acting.

• 21
    callasorphan says:

In my humble opinion, I think they sounded damn wonderful with both looking splendid! (by the way, I’m not a huge fan of Renee; however, I’ve liked Dmitri since his early days)

• 22
    RDaggle says:

There certainly is some strange physicality in this clip. I’ve never seen anything like it from these two before.

On the other hand, I’ve also never seen them try to sing grand opera tragedy sandwiched into a
    four-foot-deep corridor between orchestra and audience.

Is this the St. Petersburg Concert Hall and Dinner Theater? Maybe between selections the singers have to refill drinks and bread baskets.

• 23
    Earl Koenig says:

I agree with those that have speculated on Madame Fleming’s potential in this particular role. I’ve always thought that (this) Leonora would suit her voice magnificently. I was infatuated with Fleming before the mannerisms started saturating her performances, and I think her high pianissimi are exquisite (if a bit overly indulgent at times) -- a requisite for this Verdi role in particular. If she could work with a top-notch conductor who could rein her affectations in, I think she has the essential vocal goods to own this role.

• 24
    Sanford says:

Come to think of it, I think there are some other Verdi roles I’d like to hear her in. I’m not sure about the opening coloratura of Luisa Miller, but I think she’d nail T’amo d’amor and Tu Puniscimi. I’d also like to hear the Giovanna D’Arco aria.

• 25
    La Marchesa Attavanti says:

I think they both sound quite good. No surprise from him since I’ve seen him in the role (and his very Scarpia-like take on de Luna in this act) but she sounds like only she can sound when she’s geared up. I think this would be a good role for her and I think it would keep her vocally occupied enough so as not to leave room for the vocal “playing with her food” that drives us all nuts.

• 26
  • 27
    callasorphan says:

If I had my way, it would be Aprile Millo up there with Dmitri singing full throttle (the exposure of bosoms being optional). Nevertheless, I enjoyed Renee for the first time in a very long time!