• armerjacquino: Shicoff is a very important part of the near-perfect ensemble on the old ROH video of BOHEME- with Cotrubas and Allen, and... 3:29 PM
  • armerjacquino: “and the way Ricciarelli probably would have had she sung the role” Unfair, I think. In her prime, she... 3:18 PM
  • PCally: I was listening to Sinopoli for the first time recently and I had a pretty mixed response. I’m a fan of the conducting... 2:46 PM
  • armerjacquino: There is some truly fantastic singing on the Gardelli recording, even if it’s not dramatically the most riveting... 2:20 PM
  • zinka: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=pSVy YtwI9F8 I went to Bolena for Galvany..Suddenly this great (former) mezzo opens her mouth and... 2:13 PM
  • La Cieca: Why, in fact, should Levine do publicity for the Met? From the time of the creation of the universe, the Met has existed to do... 1:05 PM
  • irontongue: Levine wouldn’t do any publicity for the Met? Wow, that is truly shocking, both that he wouldn’t and that the Met... 12:53 PM
  • none: An excellent DVD of this production from the Liceu, Barcelona with Uria Monzon, Poplavskaya, Alagna and Schrott has been available... 12:04 PM

Hair raising

Katherine Jenkins, C-list Britpop has-beens… and Rolando Villazón in a ginormous jewfro. No, this does not bode well.

• 21
    Harry says:

Maybe Ronaldo & Kathrine are going to do a Donny & Marie Act on the show, if their own little brother is on there too, to lend it authenticity.

Establishing themselves in this field , look at the money they could make , going on from that, being ‘a double act’ as cruise ship singers . Better still, as wedding singers : for those functions of the rich & famous who repeatedly keep always getting divorced.
    Talk about Kultural glitz with a capital K! Especially accompanied by ‘orchestra ‘…mayble a 5 piece band sent from the Lawence Welk franchise.

• 22
    dcrazmo says:

Dear God, he looks like one of the natives from the original King Kong? Did he promise someone not to cut his hair until he can learn to sing again? And was that truly Jimmy Osmond? In what alternate universe is he even a Pop Star?

• 23
    The Overseer says:

Feeling suitably irritated by this shite-fest, I have set up a poll where you can verify your feelings. Naturally it won’t make a jot of difference, but it would be good to get a feeling for the array of feelings about this type of utterly misguided show. Here is the link: http://poll.pollcode.com/8zaL

• 24
  • 25
    miss kitty litter says:

This doesn’t make us feel good at all. Wha’ happened, Rolando??? You’ve become a scary caricature of yourself. An exophthalmic Ricky Ricardo.

Very painful. Very sad.

• 25.1
      Gualtier M says:

BTW: La Cieca I would call that a hispanfro, not a jewfro. Unless Rolando is sephardic.

• 25.1.1
        MontyNostry says:

I think Rolando is preparing his first Aida.
        Seriously, though, his speaking voice sounds dangerously throaty. But then, his singing voice has always sounded dangerously throaty to me, even when everyone else loved him.

• 25.1.2

Actually, there are Mexican Jews. Back, way back there was a colony of convert (or closeted, not sure which is accurate) Jews who moved to Mexico. When it was discovered they were jews, needless to say they were persecuted and a section of them moved to souther USA, specifically CO.

This was all discovered in the XXth century when a group of Americans of mexican descent were noticed as suffering a particularly nasty form of breast cancer that was genetically predisposed in European jews.

You can read all about in on the Smithsonian magazine article titled The Secret Jews of San Luis Valley.

• 26
    La Cieca says:

Actually this is what the hair reminded me of, so it go could either way.

• 26.1
      CruzSF says:

4 out of 5 had ‘fros. Those were the days!

• 26.1.1
        MontyNostry says:

What show is that from, actually? That is John Travolta second from right? Or is this a scene from the director’s cut of ‘Carrie’? Note the red background presaging the bucket of pig’s blood at the prom …

• 26.1.1.1
          CruzSF says:

The pic is of the original cast of “Welcome Back, Kotter,” minus the women. (I think there were 2 actresses as part of the regular cast.)

• 26.1.1.2
          pyramus says:

I’m guessing you’re under 40, or you would have to have seen Welcome Back, Kotter at least once.

• 26.1.1.3
          MontyNostry says:

Sadly not under 40, just British.

• 26.1.1.4
          CruzSF says:

LOL. Monty, you can guess the quality of the show from the photo. I grew up with it and am sorry I can’t get those half-hours back.

• 26.2
      mrsjohnclaggart says:

Didn’t Gabe Kaplan wig out (sic) on LSD, drop out of acting and become a shock jock? I believe he is dead.

• 27
    Lalala says:

Let’s just do it up fair and square—let the pop artists sing the opera arias--but only without amplification, in real opera houses, and with full orchestras. Let’s see how long they last (or if they are even heard).

• 28
    Clita del Toro says:

Cieca, will there be a Stiffelio chat tonight?

• 29
    Gert says:

Rumoured guest performers include Susan Boyle, Andrea Bocelli and Plácido Domingo

• 30
    Gert says:

I’ve applied for tickets. Knowing my luck, I’ll end up the evening Bocelli appears…

• 31
    JackJack says:

OK. I’ll admit that this has an irresistible car-crash quality. Any way to watch this UK show in the US? Does ITV programming tend to show up on YouTube? Imagine the chats we could have!

• 32