• rapt: Manou, I’m curious how Gabouri did. I have that proprietory feeling towards her that comes of having heard her years ago in a... 8:15 PM
  • oscar: But Angela can still throw her arm up at the end of an aria like no one else can. 8:13 PM
  • armerjacquino: And I doubt she did it on the spur of the moment. 7:52 PM
  • antikitschychick: thanks for that clip NPW-Paris and looking forward to your report. Another thing to admire about her is how... 7:44 PM
  • Lady Abbado: If you liked that duet so much… httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=nFR1 OqT64js 7:02 PM
  • Sanford: By the way, all three of the Lucias I’m singing with at Regina Opera sound better than the meh Nadine Sierra. 6:54 PM
  • Sanford: Isobel Leonard was awful. Talk about approximate coloratura! And that gown was hideous. Ugly color, badly designed. The Gioconda... 6:53 PM
  • armerjacquino: Hahaha, did he really? That’s hilarious. An ‘ah’ vowel is much, much easier to sing than an... 6:38 PM

Hair raising

Katherine Jenkins, C-list Britpop has-beens… and Rolando Villazón in a ginormous jewfro. No, this does not bode well.

• Harry says:

Maybe Ronaldo & Kathrine are going to do a Donny & Marie Act on the show, if their own little brother is on there too, to lend it authenticity.

Establishing themselves in this field , look at the money they could make , going on from that, being ‘a double act’ as cruise ship singers . Better still, as wedding singers : for those functions of the rich & famous who repeatedly keep always getting divorced.
    Talk about Kultural glitz with a capital K! Especially accompanied by ‘orchestra ‘…mayble a 5 piece band sent from the Lawence Welk franchise.

• dcrazmo says:

Dear God, he looks like one of the natives from the original King Kong? Did he promise someone not to cut his hair until he can learn to sing again? And was that truly Jimmy Osmond? In what alternate universe is he even a Pop Star?

• The Overseer says:

Feeling suitably irritated by this shite-fest, I have set up a poll where you can verify your feelings. Naturally it won’t make a jot of difference, but it would be good to get a feeling for the array of feelings about this type of utterly misguided show. Here is the link: http://poll.pollcode.com/8zaL

• miss kitty litter says:

This doesn’t make us feel good at all. Wha’ happened, Rolando??? You’ve become a scary caricature of yourself. An exophthalmic Ricky Ricardo.

Very painful. Very sad.

• Gualtier M says:

BTW: La Cieca I would call that a hispanfro, not a jewfro. Unless Rolando is sephardic.

I think Rolando is preparing his first Aida.
        Seriously, though, his speaking voice sounds dangerously throaty. But then, his singing voice has always sounded dangerously throaty to me, even when everyone else loved him.

• Actually, there are Mexican Jews. Back, way back there was a colony of convert (or closeted, not sure which is accurate) Jews who moved to Mexico. When it was discovered they were jews, needless to say they were persecuted and a section of them moved to souther USA, specifically CO.

This was all discovered in the XXth century when a group of Americans of mexican descent were noticed as suffering a particularly nasty form of breast cancer that was genetically predisposed in European jews.

You can read all about in on the Smithsonian magazine article titled The Secret Jews of San Luis Valley.

• La Cieca says:

Actually this is what the hair reminded me of, so it go could either way.

• CruzSF says:

4 out of 5 had ‘fros. Those were the days!

What show is that from, actually? That is John Travolta second from right? Or is this a scene from the director’s cut of ‘Carrie’? Note the red background presaging the bucket of pig’s blood at the prom …

• CruzSF says:

The pic is of the original cast of “Welcome Back, Kotter,” minus the women. (I think there were 2 actresses as part of the regular cast.)

• pyramus says:

I’m guessing you’re under 40, or you would have to have seen Welcome Back, Kotter at least once.

Sadly not under 40, just British.

• CruzSF says:

LOL. Monty, you can guess the quality of the show from the photo. I grew up with it and am sorry I can’t get those half-hours back.

• mrsjohnclaggart says:

Didn’t Gabe Kaplan wig out (sic) on LSD, drop out of acting and become a shock jock? I believe he is dead.

• Lalala says:

Let’s just do it up fair and square—let the pop artists sing the opera arias--but only without amplification, in real opera houses, and with full orchestras. Let’s see how long they last (or if they are even heard).

• Clita del Toro says:

Cieca, will there be a Stiffelio chat tonight?

• Gert says:

Rumoured guest performers include Susan Boyle, Andrea Bocelli and Plácido Domingo

• Gert says:

I’ve applied for tickets. Knowing my luck, I’ll end up the evening Bocelli appears…

• JackJack says:

OK. I’ll admit that this has an irresistible car-crash quality. Any way to watch this UK show in the US? Does ITV programming tend to show up on YouTube? Imagine the chats we could have!