• liza: Speaking of technology…I apologize for writing via I-Phone where editing is impossible. Among my... 11:43 AM
  • arepo: A prediction: I believe that many dissenters will buy tickets to the normally light ticket sell due... 11:42 AM
  • Poison Ivy: Beverly Sills’ “BeverlyR 21; is certainly not boring. Now whether you’ll... 11:40 AM
  • peter: Unfortunately, I think European anti-Semitism is more than just anecdotal: http://www.nyti... 11:29 AM
  • La Cieca: Maybe a rocket scientist would realize that anecdotes reported by your (like-minded)... 11:21 AM
  • liza: Very relevant! More to consider and discuss. 11:14 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Me three! 11:10 AM
  • Hans Lick: Interesting. I note (but perhaps these notes are not relevant?): 1. When Auber and Scribe wrote... 11:07 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: Actually, manou, after replying to ML, this crossed my mind as well. Perhaps subconsciously I... 11:05 AM
  • 98rsd: operaassport: “Much of Europe’s pro-Palestinian feeling is thinly veiled anti-Semitism.R 21;... 11:04 AM

NYCO “severely curtailing” fall season

george_white_woods“There are thousands of papers, stretching back over hundreds of years, affecting Belle Reve as, piece by piece, our improvident grandfathers and father and uncles and brothers exchanged the land for their epic fornications — to put it plainly! The four-letter word deprived us of our plantation, till finally all that was left — and Stella can verify that! — was the house itself and about twenty acres of ground, including a graveyard, to which now all but Stella and I have retreated!” [NYT]

Another source of revenue would be if the beautiful new roof of the former NY State Theater could be turned into an upscale trailer park, mobile home community, or urban year-round camp ground. The MET could charge even more for the use of its roof because it’s higher.

• traumgekront says:

I absolutely LOVE Streetcar-the play (and the opera too, actually). I think this is a smart move for NYCO. But to be frank, how much success could the company have possibly expected in opening a fresh new season in a newly renovated building when the major image in their ad campaign is… a giant black hole?

• RDaggle says:

That’s a good picture of Peter Martins in the undershirt.

Nice that he finally gave up on the 1975 haircut.

• Gualtier M says:

Quote from article: “Further, as part of the agreement, the ballet will nominate the next board chairman the City Center of Music and Drama — no connection with the City Center theater on West 55th Street — which rents the Koch Theater to the companies.”

Tres interessant. When will Susan Baker’s tenure be done? The handwriting has been on the wall for some time. In fact Mary Sharp Cronson seems to be the de facto board chairwoman with Baker just a figurehead.

• Alto says:

Are you confusing the board of the City Center of Music and Drama with the separate board of the New York City Opera? It’s the latter that is headed by Mrs. Baker, and Mr. Martins has no role in that.

• Cassandra says:

Just DIE all ready!

-Eurydice Colette Clytemnestra Dido Bathsheba Rabelais Patricia Cocteau Stone

• Bianca Castafiore says:

i’d never cross the threshold of anything named david douchebag koch.

• perfidia says:

I recently finished Martin Duberman’s biography of Lincoln Kirstein. Those were interesting times if you were gay and involved in cultural work, and I don’t think we will have another ear like that. In any case, it seems the NYC opera administration at the time was truly nasty to the NYC ballet. Karma is a funny thing.

• perfidia says:

Sorry, “we won’t have another era like that.”

• longtimelistener says:

It’s pretty obvious that they’ve had this date from the beginning. RIP NYCO.

• Alto says:

RIP? Where do you get that? Back to the old song of last summer that has now been suspended for a while — until the Times gives you the signal to go negative again? Despite record fund-raising? Well-received performances so far? Making what may turn out to be smart economies? RIP?

And “pretty obvious” to whom?

• Krunoslav says:

“Sometimes there’s Gert von Gontard — so QUICKLY…”