• grimoaldo: Fromental Halévy : La juive [NP] 26, 30 Jun 2016; 4, 8 Jul 2016 In French, and surtitled in German München, Nationaltheater... 7:13 AM
  • armerjacquino: Mrs JC- the Konya/Lorengar BOHEME highlights were certainly released here in the UK, and at bargain price, £5.99 if I... 7:02 AM
  • manou: I feel I should contribute some Ladino – but it is much less colourful. 5:55 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Oh, if only NPW-Paris!! I really LOVE Bank Ban, which I discovered in the older Simandy recording (he was a fine tenor,... 5:20 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Also: a) It’s easy to miss something on Parterre. Things get tucked away in a corner so quickly. Yesterday, for example,... 4:25 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: Thanks for your effort to comfort the comfortless. I still weep. (I think Goldmark was the more polished but slightly... 4:06 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Don’t hate too hastily: I think people are marvelling more, today, at Goldmark’s Wintermärchen and Erkel’s... 4:02 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: I hate, I warn you all. I mentioned Bank Ban WEEKS ago (NPW- PARIS agreed with me) and I was IGNORED!!! And now —... 3:56 AM

post_separationIn an unexpected bonus round of “This Diva Looks Like That Diva,” conspiracy theorists will surely puzzle over the eerily similar headshots of these two New York Post columnists.

Ashley Dupre (aka Spitzer’s Muse) is hoping “sex sells” as she launches her new relationship advice column in the Post.  She competes for readers’ attention against our own James Jorden, well-known as a “friend” of this site. Who will be the bigger reader draw? Stay tuned!

If only Aunt Cieca could get her own relationship column in the Post! Then she could finally respond to some of Angie and Roberto’s letters.

• squirrel says:

what can I say, it’s a rainy sunday!

• javier says:

Well, it seems like both have horrible taste in frames.

I love Ashley’s little video — and those specs are clearly intended to give her gravitas. Is there a little video of Mr Jorden too? Hmmm, and what kind of specs does La Cieca wear? I suspect something a little in the line of Dame Edna Everage’s optical extravaganzas.

La Cieca is always ready with a response (and Photoshop). Le ringrazio, signora!

… and an address worth knowing

• squirrel says:

Winning text bits are “How do you know if your daughter is getting into trouble?” and of course “Mechanical Doll”.. synergy!

• mrmyster says:

Well, I for one do not think Ashley and Cieca bear any
    resemblance whatsoever, though i recognize that Cieca
    (despite her name), is much younger than Ashley. [We
    all know what Spitzer goes for!} Meanwhile, since I’ve
    been following advice columns since the days of Dorthea
    Dix, I feel absolutely confident La Cieca would be a sterling
    source of authoritative information, and I’ll tell Mr Murdoch
    that the very next time I see him.
    Meanwhile, someone over on Opera-L is being very
    catty about Mme. Renee Fleming, always a very great
    favorite here, and her recent Berkeley recital in which she
    wore two entirely different costumes and looked extremely
    soignee and slender. The writer complainted that too much
    attention is paid to her appearance and not enough to
    her performance of Strauss, Messiaen, etc. I have to
    wonder? Does Cieca have an opinion about that — should
    a 50 y.o. diva let her looks go just so her Zweignung will
    convince all the more? How much weight should critical
    writers give to looks vs. art? Aren’t they related? The
    Marschallin thought so. It’s Gott’s will!

• La Cieca says:

La Cieca is all in favor of soignee divas, especially ones who can sing. She thought the Messaien (as seen on TV) went with a great swing from La Fleming, and it’s great that “La Scoopenda” is programming a little adventurously on her current tour.

Two dresses, La Cieca thinks, is the minimum a diva should wear for a recital. Three is better.

• Sanford says:

And yet recently we saw a diva do an entire recital in one dress…

• mrmyster says:

thank you, moi feels much better about it all now.
        Margaret Truman always wore but one dress per recital,
        but what a dress! That girl could NOT sing, but she
        really knew how to dress. She had a LOT of gay friends.

• Birgit always wore 2. Vicky de los Angeles wore a different hair piece (and sometimes a different dress too) for each section of the program.

Seems only fair that RF would follow suit. (let’s hope she didn’t wear that horrible Morticia Adams number she wore in Tokyo in 2007)

OK, OK, the dress is not that bad, but those gloves are not over kill, they are rotting road kill. Let’s not even talk about the singing. It went really well with the gloves…

• javier says:

I like that dress. Anyway, for the first half she wore an emerald green (?) dress that I’ve never seen her in before and for the second half she wore the same dress she wore to the premiere of Tosca at the Met this season. I think she looked beautiful in both dresses, especially the latter one. The program was very long and varied, so after intermission she changed clothes. That’s really not “diva” behavior.

I do not, honestly, see the problem with those gloves, which I think complete the almost dress. Perhaps the stark nature of and colour of this ensemble doesn’t really reflect so well on her complexion.

No matter what she may or may not do with her voice, let’s face it, most opera singers would kill to look like her, and I DO apologize to Mme. La Doyenne for that apercu.

• La Cieca says:

I will not go so far as Lindoro (who of us would?) but I will say that the black dress/black gloves outfit has the matchy-matchy quality so dreaded on Project Runway. The look borders on the costumey and it really belongs in a cabaret or a pops concert, not a serious orchestra date.

That’s my taste, anyway.

Eh bien, ma cherie Cieca, that is a point very well taken, indeed.
          It is my observation that your taste is bon chic, bon gout, bon genre, ecc., so I can respect that.

Besides, Bruno (with an umlaut) does counsel against matchy-matchy, at all costs!

Bonne nuit! Je dors dans la luxe, calme, et volupe de la borough des Reines.

• Violetta says:

Gloves are cool. It’s the gloves without sleeves that looks a little odd.

So Why-The-F does a female artist have to wear 3 pricey dresses at every recital, which the audience must NOT have ever seen before, when men can just wear a penguin suit ?!!

• The problem with the gloves is the length. If she wanted to so something reminiscent of the 60′s then the gloves are way too long, way too matchy. The damn things go to exactly the hem of her butst! It’s like I wanted to wear a strapless, but I did not, I could not make my mind. She looks like ablack widow.

Fleming is a woman of means, the only thing that dress needed was a nice string of pearls, a nice up do and some pearls or a tennis bracelet. She has well toned arms, I do not see the need to cover them up with gloves, specially when they are paired with a sexy strapless gown.

RF needed to take a page from Jackie O or Moffo, who could always pull off the gloves. These are overdone, overkill. See the difference:

• Damn, I hit send too soon.

One last thing, you all know that a fabulous number can look like trash if the accessories, the make up and the hair are bad or wrong. RF in the clips above looks not well put together. The dress might be fabulous (I don’t think so, but what do i know?) but the overall look does not look put together.

On the other hand, well selected accessories and hairdo will make a Target bought ensemble look chic, like a million bucks.

Y’all know that…

But did her forehead move at all?

• Anonymous says:

Bitter was recommended by a committee, but was against the plan because it did not take into consideration the entire space. Eventually Thomas Hastings, the architect, was commissioned for an overall plan and he selected Bitter to create a sculpture, Abundance, for the fountain. “The day he finished the clay model, Bitter was run over and killed by a car outside the Metropolitan Opera House,” Gilmartin recounted.

• Gualtier M says:

I applaud the Rupert Murdoch and the NY Post for providing career rehabilitation for washed-up aging prostitutes (smiling when I say that!!!). This really is a kind of socially progressive affirmative action that makes me reconsider the Post as a right wing heap of journalist compost.

Now we need Aiden Shaw to write the literature reviews and we will be set. I may even buy a subscription and not read discarded copies on the subway!!!

• mrmyster says:

Sir Gualtier -- not to miss the article in today’s (Dec 14) NYTimes in which Murdoch’s Wall Street Journal is described as a right wint heap of journalistic compost. And worse.
      The Times claims Rupert M. has made it ever-more conservative and right wing. Having read the WSJ for about forty years, and seeing it through my progressive liberal eyes, I actually notice no difference at all between today’s Journal and that of a couple of years ago when it was still under family rule — it was always the essence of wrong-headed rightwingness. And their music critic … well, I wont knock a colleague. Oddly, the NY Observer has a quite good music critic -- Woolfe is it? In fact, the only important change I have noted in the WSJ is that it is considerably fuller and more lively than the NYTimes, which seems very rapidly to be dying on the vine, what’s left of it. I wonder if the Times or any other print medium would dare tell the real truth about the Metropolitan Opera these days? How refreshing it would be. hee haw!

• Sanford says:

Well. I was heartbroken when the Times eliminated their TV guide. Then they reduced the width of the paper to standard width. Then they eliminated and/or combined other sections. And since no one apparently edits copy, the typos are proliferating. a word that’s spelled correctly but used in the wrong context is still wrong (where/wear/we’re, for instance). And because of reduced space, words are regularly left out of sentences to fit the columns. I basically buy it now for the crossword puzzle.

• Sanford says:

Have you seen Aiden Shaw lately? I wouldn’t care if he wrote a word; I’d just stare at his picture. He looks amazing.

and FINALLY, I have just have got to get this off my chest, er, poitrine…

JJ and Cieca, I just do NOT know how you do it, how you have done it, and how you keep on doing it, but I have to tell you that I am so grateful for the Box, because for fifteen, FUNFZEHN JAHRE! (it’s funnier in German) you have been coming up with the crazy-funniest stuff (this one is a particular delight) and I just don’t know how the f**k you do it, day in, day out, year in, year out!?!?!?!!!!!!!!! All I can say is a great big merci and I dread the day you hang it all up. It will be a much sorrier world and all us operaaddicts will have to go to Alcoholics Anonymous or Weight Watchers or Sexaholics Anonymous, and hell, that’s no damn fun at all!

love you and good night
    Semper Fidelis

• Sanford says:

Camille, do you know something we don’t?

I personally like the matchymatchy, but then that whole outfit is something I wore back in the 80s when I was still doing drag. Is she in mourning? it needs some color. It needs a diamond girdle, perhaps a diamond trimmed Turandot head dress. oops, I already know a diva who wears that. So it needs a little color.

Heavens no, I am not privy to private informations regarding our Beloved Doyenne. Just me and my preternatural intuition being jumpy about JJ’s defection and the impact it may or may not have on La Cieca, that’s all. While I am most glad that La Cieca has gotten JJ off her swooning couch at last and he’s got a real job, I just don’t want the giddy glee that is P.B. to ever end, ergo my worrisome nature is going into overdrive about it.
      Dismiss worrisome thoughts as they give wrinkles.

Well, fellows, I must concede you all have a point about Mme. RF. Still, I like the gloves, but the overall effect is Jessica Rabbit.

She should take a page from Mme. Vera’s book, a true diva SHE, and learn what Becomes A Legend Most….

Squirrel -- how about those gelide manine? Are they warmed up yet?? You’ve got many more an acorn to gather this winter so get Mrs. Squirrel to knit you or gift you a pair.

You take umbrage at my mention of ‘JJ’s defection’, so a clarification is in order: I mean to say only that La Cieca no longer has him around as her minion, totally at her beck and call, to tie her shoelaces, froth her cafe au lait, and give backrubs and do all that nasty proofreading of copy. He’s still around, of course, but he has declared his independence in going out and establishing himself as a scribe, with his own photo and byline, so, the equation has somewhat been altered.

That’s what I mean.

Do you receive the Soundart Foundation, Inc., events calendar? I recommend it.

Now, it’s back to Beethoven, my Immortal Beloved, in preparation for his 239th birthday celebration, commencing in about twelve more hours.

p.s. -- how did that conference with Gelb go regarding the implementation of the Hugenuts into the MET calendar? We, the humble audience of Parterre, are counting on you.