• ML: ” … this particular fight or whatever you want to call it” is the biggest debacle at... 3:19 AM
  • ML: The raise bothers me less than the 10-year contract. Nobody gets that. No normal board gives that. 3:10 AM
  • m. croche: So I guess they had nothing to do with the decision to cancel the Klinghoffer broadcast? 2:54 AM
  • La Cieca: Got to get the glasses checked. Three times I read that comment, and every time, it came out I’ve... 2:25 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: She will be doing Trovatore here after the Manon Lescaut. 2:15 AM
  • ianw2: This is really quite different from what happened in Minnesota. Minnesota was proposing a severe base... 2:13 AM
  • La Cieca: That’s an interesting question. My opinion is that Gelb is in the right on this particular... 1:34 AM
  • bluecabochon: Steve, there is so much propaganda and sheer ugliness being exhibited by the unions and... 1:34 AM
  • La Cieca: However Mr. Gelb is proposing that union compensation **and that alone** will solve the Met’s... 1:23 AM
  • mozartFreak: From this thread alone, I quote: “As I said in an earlier thread, this proposal is the... 1:19 AM

Private dancer

filianoti_thumbHunkentenor Giuseppe Filianoti performs a little “risqué business” in this trailer for a new production of L’elisir d’amore that opened last night at the Bayerische Staatsoper.

• Alto says:

Wow. Just wow.

Where is this all going to end?

• Krunoslav says:

Now, that’s too bad- vocally, I mean, from him. As Kolodin writes of late-Met career Ferruccio Tagliavini, “Trying to take by force what he could no longer sustain by art.”:

Surely audiences will grow tired of Dreckenregie…

• mox says:

Sorry, this was not at all Drecksregie (not Dreckenregie) only the staging of the soldiers was stupid. The audience of the final dress rehearsal just loved it. Entertaining, funny and never boring, like most of the other L’elisir productions I saw. Only the old Ponelle with Pavarotti and Freni in Munich, Milan and at the Met was similar entertaining. Peter Gelb is working hard and has to do this still for a long time to get the Met away from the DEAD AT THE MET image.

• La marquise de Merteuil says:

Hunkentenor? LC -- are you on crack?

That just put me off sex indefinitely…

The singing is also not so hot …

• Valmont says:

I love it. It is a rather clear example of opera made for television though. I doubt many people in the house could see any of the subtleties of the acting, but from this I think it’s awesome. Also, anytime you give me a big, fat, crazy character bass like this, it makes me happy.

• mox says:

the whole production was in the way of early Fellini movies and the lead tenor acted a bit like Chaplin. Worked very well. Valmont, You are right, the fat bariton was perfect in his role, very funny but also touching.

• Noel Dahling says:

The complete number was posted on this site a few days ago (taped from the audience). He has an exeptional voice and looks sexy, but the crazy dancing was cute for about 60 seconds, then it just looked very silly, like he was trying to hard.

• Will says:

I wouldn’t want to have to critique quality of voices from this clip that has a harsh, hyped-up edge to it. My suspicion is that they all had rather warmer, rounder tone in the house. I thought the production delightful and all the relationships between characters seemed to be present and accounted for exactly as in Donizetti-Romani.

I can easily believe the audience loved it--funny, Dulcamara over the top exactly right, love and sentiment firmly in place. I’d much rather see this than the MET’s current L’Elisir. But I also thought that this Munich production could be seen as the direct contemporary descendant of the Great old Merrill-O’Hearn production that used ballet, flying machine stagecraft and Broadway musical-style scenery to wow audiences fifty years ago.

• Harold says:

The voices are all recorded too close, but I think Filianoti sounds beautiful. He looks madeup like Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhand, and to me is very appealing.

• pavel says:

Judging solely by this video I think Filianoti is singing beautifully and is cute as a button (not to mention having a nice tuchus). The soprano (Nino Machaidze?) has quite the metallic edge on her voice, but she’s gorgeous to look at. The production looks like a lot of fun. If I were in Munich I would definitely see this.