• Camille: I’m sold. Especially after looking at the programs to be featured this summer–all Puccini and other veristi, all the... 8:23 PM
  • FragendeFrau82: Thank you so much! Will listen to this on the drive to DC on Saturday. Nice photo too–includes the gray. New to me,... 8:07 PM
  • Camille: Bluebeard–I fear you may have hit the bullseye here, based on many of the already established actualities re Ms LH... 8:01 PM
  • Camille: Yes, and similarly, I had so looked forward to the double bill of Iolanta/Bluebeard& #8217;s Castle at the MET, and ended up not... 7:42 PM
  • Camille: Caro Cocky K.— That would indeed make me very happy as -for some peculiar reason- perhaps based upon your unusual degree of... 7:19 PM
  • phoenix: Interesting sub-sub-thread. I also liked Plowright – she had her mannerisms but I still found her interpretations quite... 7:15 PM
  • phoenix: I saw Rossini’s L’italiana in Algieri at Cooperstown many years ago and it was very well done & entertaining... 6:58 PM
  • Porgy Amor: Cocky, I did not think the Principessa was a good fit for Larsson in the premiere run as seen on the DVD release either. The... 6:46 PM

Private dancer

filianoti_thumbHunkentenor Giuseppe Filianoti performs a little “risqué business” in this trailer for a new production of L’elisir d’amore that opened last night at the Bayerische Staatsoper.

• 1
    Alto says:

Wow. Just wow.

Where is this all going to end?

• 2
    Krunoslav says:

Now, that’s too bad- vocally, I mean, from him. As Kolodin writes of late-Met career Ferruccio Tagliavini, “Trying to take by force what he could no longer sustain by art.”:

Surely audiences will grow tired of Dreckenregie…

• 2.1
      mox says:

Sorry, this was not at all Drecksregie (not Dreckenregie) only the staging of the soldiers was stupid. The audience of the final dress rehearsal just loved it. Entertaining, funny and never boring, like most of the other L’elisir productions I saw. Only the old Ponelle with Pavarotti and Freni in Munich, Milan and at the Met was similar entertaining. Peter Gelb is working hard and has to do this still for a long time to get the Met away from the DEAD AT THE MET image.

• 3
    La marquise de Merteuil says:

Hunkentenor? LC -- are you on crack?

That just put me off sex indefinitely…

The singing is also not so hot …

• 4
    Valmont says:

I love it. It is a rather clear example of opera made for television though. I doubt many people in the house could see any of the subtleties of the acting, but from this I think it’s awesome. Also, anytime you give me a big, fat, crazy character bass like this, it makes me happy.

• 4.1
      mox says:

the whole production was in the way of early Fellini movies and the lead tenor acted a bit like Chaplin. Worked very well. Valmont, You are right, the fat bariton was perfect in his role, very funny but also touching.

• 5
    Noel Dahling says:

The complete number was posted on this site a few days ago (taped from the audience). He has an exeptional voice and looks sexy, but the crazy dancing was cute for about 60 seconds, then it just looked very silly, like he was trying to hard.

• 6
    Will says:

I wouldn’t want to have to critique quality of voices from this clip that has a harsh, hyped-up edge to it. My suspicion is that they all had rather warmer, rounder tone in the house. I thought the production delightful and all the relationships between characters seemed to be present and accounted for exactly as in Donizetti-Romani.

I can easily believe the audience loved it--funny, Dulcamara over the top exactly right, love and sentiment firmly in place. I’d much rather see this than the MET’s current L’Elisir. But I also thought that this Munich production could be seen as the direct contemporary descendant of the Great old Merrill-O’Hearn production that used ballet, flying machine stagecraft and Broadway musical-style scenery to wow audiences fifty years ago.

• 7
    Harold says:

The voices are all recorded too close, but I think Filianoti sounds beautiful. He looks madeup like Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhand, and to me is very appealing.

• 8
    pavel says:

Judging solely by this video I think Filianoti is singing beautifully and is cute as a button (not to mention having a nice tuchus). The soprano (Nino Machaidze?) has quite the metallic edge on her voice, but she’s gorgeous to look at. The production looks like a lot of fun. If I were in Munich I would definitely see this.