• Poison Ivy: The “TBA” Musettas for next season’s Bohemes have been filled with Ailyn Perez. 11:31 AM
  • Lohengrin: The Buuhers were from La Scala! The “specialists ” for Italian repertory missed the... 11:31 AM
  • marshiemarkII: the timbre itself is not Corelli-like brilliant Oh carisssima Milady, as always you are so... 11:28 AM
  • marshiemarkII: No you are not Insider, consider me in your club also :-) I consider the bluray of Parsifal a... 11:17 AM
  • Lohengrin: The worst thing will be that opposite to AN always will appear YE…….. 11:12 AM
  • Regina delle fate: She wore a frock that made her look like a reptile for her London Alcina concert... 11:01 AM
  • Regina delle fate: Oliver Widmer seems quite content with playing “second fiddle” to Cecilia... 10:55 AM
  • operainsider: I really love Kauffman’s voice on recording but in house I’m always disappointed.... 10:54 AM
  • kashania: Rachvelishvilli? 10:43 AM
  • DonCarloFanatic: Apparently not, since it is snowing heavily out here in my boondocks area. Torture me with... 10:41 AM

Pole position

kiri_norma

Dame Kiri te Kanawa‘s cousin (who calls the opera diva “auntie because of the age difference”) is promoting “Australia’s first pole-dancing championships.”

While most of us equate this activity with sparkly high heels, g-strings and ostentatious displays of female flesh, [Natalie] Te Kanawa wants pole dancing to be viewed as a legitimate art form, just like opera singing ….

Te Kanawa [Again, Natalie, not Kiri, N.B.!!!] eventually left the industry to become a personal trainer but couldn’t leave the pole behind entirely.

Oh, yes, La Cieca is confident that this will all end quietly and well. [nzherald]

POLE DANCING>>>

• jatm2063 says:

LEAVE KIRI ALONE!

• Hans Lick says:

I second jatm’s motion.

But otherwise the story makes me think of president’s brothers, who invariably humiliate the man in office, if only (in Ike and Bush’s case) by making them look so inferior.

Also of Mirella Freni, who when her daughter comes to visit, orders her NOT to sing in the house. “The neighbors will hear you and think it’s me, and say, ‘Mirella’s really lost it.’”

• alex says:

Re: Freni story

--ouch! I can’t imagine what that must feel like, especially if her daughter actually, you know, enjoys singing.

• Alto says:

I know just what she means. “Leaving the pole behind” can be wrenching.

• operaddict says:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several favorite pole positions I enjoy…

Which is better?

North Pole or South Pole?

Just heard Dame Kiwi this a.m. On SIRIUS, in Arabella. Wish that Mme. Flaming could have sung it as neat and clean as La Grande Dame!

Must say this: I saw her in her penultimate performance as Vanessa several years ago and even almost sans voix, she was still compelling in this role, despite the best efforts of Erika and the redoubtable Baroness of Elias!

• wenarto says:

this is the real pole dancing