• Krunoslav: It’s the mezzo /contralto that has the best piece in NEVSKY: httpv://www.you... 11:33 AM
  • Krunoslav: Betrayed by a sticking key!!! Serves me right. Field *Marshal* **Rommel** 11:28 AM
  • Krunoslav: “Marshal Law “?? *Martial* Law *Marshall* Plan http://www.nndb.co m/people/563/00... 11:27 AM
  • Krunoslav: “Where IS the envelope?” ……R 30;. I called yesterday *before* they... 11:19 AM
  • tatiana: I just discovered that Sergei Skorokhodov is scheduled to sing with Riccardo Muti and the Chicago... 11:00 AM
  • mandryka: I had tickets for the first three performances. Got refunds for first two at the box office, and... 10:32 AM
  • tatiana: I see from the Met website that the “Iolanta/Blu ebeard” performance on February 10 is... 10:31 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: The Livestream is on the 1st I believe and why would they reschedule? 10:09 AM
  • Sir Ferris: Die Stadt der Freude ward verschont….. 9:31 AM
  • williams: We were in row S center orchestra the tragic first night. Went to the box office after the... 9:15 AM

Pole position

kiri_norma

Dame Kiri te Kanawa‘s cousin (who calls the opera diva “auntie because of the age difference”) is promoting “Australia’s first pole-dancing championships.”

While most of us equate this activity with sparkly high heels, g-strings and ostentatious displays of female flesh, [Natalie] Te Kanawa wants pole dancing to be viewed as a legitimate art form, just like opera singing ….

Te Kanawa [Again, Natalie, not Kiri, N.B.!!!] eventually left the industry to become a personal trainer but couldn’t leave the pole behind entirely.

Oh, yes, La Cieca is confident that this will all end quietly and well. [nzherald]

POLE DANCING>>>

• jatm2063 says:

LEAVE KIRI ALONE!

• Hans Lick says:

I second jatm’s motion.

But otherwise the story makes me think of president’s brothers, who invariably humiliate the man in office, if only (in Ike and Bush’s case) by making them look so inferior.

Also of Mirella Freni, who when her daughter comes to visit, orders her NOT to sing in the house. “The neighbors will hear you and think it’s me, and say, ‘Mirella’s really lost it.’”

• alex says:

Re: Freni story

--ouch! I can’t imagine what that must feel like, especially if her daughter actually, you know, enjoys singing.

• Alto says:

I know just what she means. “Leaving the pole behind” can be wrenching.

• operaddict says:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several favorite pole positions I enjoy…

Which is better?

North Pole or South Pole?

Just heard Dame Kiwi this a.m. On SIRIUS, in Arabella. Wish that Mme. Flaming could have sung it as neat and clean as La Grande Dame!

Must say this: I saw her in her penultimate performance as Vanessa several years ago and even almost sans voix, she was still compelling in this role, despite the best efforts of Erika and the redoubtable Baroness of Elias!

• wenarto says:

this is the real pole dancing