• Porgy Amor: Thanks for the kind words, phoenix. My own nod to La Cieca for the great photos. 1:00 AM
  • parpignol: in house: Alagna sounded well enough, but not comfortable with the role; Luisi was tentative as he tried to accommodate the... 12:55 AM
  • Porgy Amor: I agree with your very good summing-up of both Opolais and Westbroek, mrsjohnclaggart. I’ve seen the Covent Garden... 12:40 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: PCally, I didn’t think Opolais sang with any great beauty or remarkable ease tonight, she sounds like an HD... 12:20 AM
  • Howling in Tune: They were thinking, “This’ ll be quite an event if it happens, but we’d better have a backup... 12:16 AM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Give Alagna some slack. He has never sung the role and had a week to learn it. He’ll get better. Maybe is me... 11:52 PM
  • PCally: mrsjohnclaggart, I have seen both this and her broadcast from Baden Baden, where this met production originally premiered.... 11:22 PM
  • Vergin Vezzosa: @coloraturafan – enthusiastic + 1, having seen MS three times this season and having been transported by multiple... 10:56 PM

Pole position

kiri_norma

Dame Kiri te Kanawa‘s cousin (who calls the opera diva “auntie because of the age difference”) is promoting “Australia’s first pole-dancing championships.”

While most of us equate this activity with sparkly high heels, g-strings and ostentatious displays of female flesh, [Natalie] Te Kanawa wants pole dancing to be viewed as a legitimate art form, just like opera singing ….

Te Kanawa [Again, Natalie, not Kiri, N.B.!!!] eventually left the industry to become a personal trainer but couldn’t leave the pole behind entirely.

Oh, yes, La Cieca is confident that this will all end quietly and well. [nzherald]

POLE DANCING>>>

• jatm2063 says:

LEAVE KIRI ALONE!

• Hans Lick says:

I second jatm’s motion.

But otherwise the story makes me think of president’s brothers, who invariably humiliate the man in office, if only (in Ike and Bush’s case) by making them look so inferior.

Also of Mirella Freni, who when her daughter comes to visit, orders her NOT to sing in the house. “The neighbors will hear you and think it’s me, and say, ‘Mirella’s really lost it.’”

• alex says:

Re: Freni story

--ouch! I can’t imagine what that must feel like, especially if her daughter actually, you know, enjoys singing.

• Alto says:

I know just what she means. “Leaving the pole behind” can be wrenching.

• operaddict says:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several favorite pole positions I enjoy…

Which is better?

North Pole or South Pole?

Just heard Dame Kiwi this a.m. On SIRIUS, in Arabella. Wish that Mme. Flaming could have sung it as neat and clean as La Grande Dame!

Must say this: I saw her in her penultimate performance as Vanessa several years ago and even almost sans voix, she was still compelling in this role, despite the best efforts of Erika and the redoubtable Baroness of Elias!

• wenarto says:

this is the real pole dancing