• Krunoslav: Also worth noting: that 1972-73 PIKOVAYA DAMA (“PIQUE DAME, predictably favored by Bing and Gutman, is the work’s... 9:28 PM
  • Krunoslav: In that revival Kabaivanska sang five shows, Teresa Kubiak one ( making a one-off Met debut before returning in the NP of... 9:03 PM
  • Bill: I believe I only saw Felicia Weathers a few times – a wonderful Butterfly in Vienna with di Stefano – then the same... 7:58 PM
  • JohninSeattle: “They have and will be better opera singers but never another Netrebko.” As Whoopie says in GHOSTS: Girl, you... 7:53 PM
  • JohninSeattle: Those are HIGHlarious! That made my day. Thanks for that. I must say, Holst’s THE PLANET *deserved* that cover. But... 7:49 PM
  • danpatter: I saw Nancy Shade’s last-minute professional debut in Louisville in 1967. She replaced an ailing Marisa Galvany in... 7:40 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I found them, including the Moffo spaghetti cover! Some of them are hysterically funny: https://www.goo... 6:39 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I somehow remember that spaghetti LP cover. I am really challenging what’s left of my memory here, but... 6:30 PM

Pole position

kiri_norma

Dame Kiri te Kanawa‘s cousin (who calls the opera diva “auntie because of the age difference”) is promoting “Australia’s first pole-dancing championships.”

While most of us equate this activity with sparkly high heels, g-strings and ostentatious displays of female flesh, [Natalie] Te Kanawa wants pole dancing to be viewed as a legitimate art form, just like opera singing ….

Te Kanawa [Again, Natalie, not Kiri, N.B.!!!] eventually left the industry to become a personal trainer but couldn’t leave the pole behind entirely.

Oh, yes, La Cieca is confident that this will all end quietly and well. [nzherald]

• 1
    Quanto Painy Fakor says:

POLE DANCING>>>

• 2
    jatm2063 says:

LEAVE KIRI ALONE!

• 3
    Hans Lick says:

I second jatm’s motion.

But otherwise the story makes me think of president’s brothers, who invariably humiliate the man in office, if only (in Ike and Bush’s case) by making them look so inferior.

Also of Mirella Freni, who when her daughter comes to visit, orders her NOT to sing in the house. “The neighbors will hear you and think it’s me, and say, ‘Mirella’s really lost it.'”

• 3.1
      alex says:

Re: Freni story

--ouch! I can’t imagine what that must feel like, especially if her daughter actually, you know, enjoys singing.

• 4
    Alto says:

I know just what she means. “Leaving the pole behind” can be wrenching.

• 5
    operaddict says:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several favorite pole positions I enjoy…

• 6
    Camille says:

Which is better?

North Pole or South Pole?

Just heard Dame Kiwi this a.m. On SIRIUS, in Arabella. Wish that Mme. Flaming could have sung it as neat and clean as La Grande Dame!

Must say this: I saw her in her penultimate performance as Vanessa several years ago and even almost sans voix, she was still compelling in this role, despite the best efforts of Erika and the redoubtable Baroness of Elias!

• 7
    wenarto says:

this is the real pole dancing