• laddie: Meant to post a video as well: httpv://www.youtub wF9tC4U 11:51 PM
  • laddie: I’d like to personally thank the Bayerische Staatsoper for not just one but two opportunities to see L’Orfeo this... 11:49 PM
  • Gualtier M: There is a rare out of print cd reissue of the Original London Cast of “Promises, Promises” with a young Betty... 11:33 PM
  • marshiemarkII: Glad to see some love for the Clarion Society and the fabulous Steve Fox (ex Lindemann of course). They did a perfectly... 11:29 PM
  • Will: As opposed to the Rich Man’s Frug from Sweet Charity. 9:41 PM
  • Bluebeard: Well, the Clarion Music Society has a superb chorus, and its leader, Steven Fox, does wonders with them. On December 31 and... 9:31 PM
  • RudigerVT: Turkey Lurkey Time is, to say the least, a strange song. But the nascent Michael Bennett used it to introduce early-disco dance... 9:19 PM
  • pirelli: From what I understand, Bacharach was very frustrated by the “live theatre” aspect of things – he was much more... 8:25 PM

Pole position

Dame Kiri te Kanawa‘s cousin (who calls the opera diva “auntie because of the age difference”) is promoting “Australia’s first pole-dancing championships.”

While most of us equate this activity with sparkly high heels, g-strings and ostentatious displays of female flesh, [Natalie] Te Kanawa wants pole dancing to be viewed as a legitimate art form, just like opera singing ….

Te Kanawa [Again, Natalie, not Kiri, N.B.!!!] eventually left the industry to become a personal trainer but couldn’t leave the pole behind entirely.

Oh, yes, La Cieca is confident that this will all end quietly and well. [nzherald]

• jatm2063 says:

• Hans Lick says:

I second jatm’s motion.

But otherwise the story makes me think of president’s brothers, who invariably humiliate the man in office, if only (in Ike and Bush’s case) by making them look so inferior.

Also of Mirella Freni, who when her daughter comes to visit, orders her NOT to sing in the house. “The neighbors will hear you and think it’s me, and say, ‘Mirella’s really lost it.’”

• alex says:

Re: Freni story

--ouch! I can’t imagine what that must feel like, especially if her daughter actually, you know, enjoys singing.

• Alto says:

I know just what she means. “Leaving the pole behind” can be wrenching.

• operaddict says:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of several favorite pole positions I enjoy…

Which is better?

North Pole or South Pole?

Just heard Dame Kiwi this a.m. On SIRIUS, in Arabella. Wish that Mme. Flaming could have sung it as neat and clean as La Grande Dame!

Must say this: I saw her in her penultimate performance as Vanessa several years ago and even almost sans voix, she was still compelling in this role, despite the best efforts of Erika and the redoubtable Baroness of Elias!

• wenarto says:

this is the real pole dancing