• manou: Yes – he is coming to London in October. I have just given my tickets away because we shall be abroad on the day. Not that... 3:42 AM
  • schweigundtanze: The “O soave fanciulla” with Opolais is fantastic! It reminds me of Simoneau and Alarie’s recording. 3:34 AM
  • Lohengrin: https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=DBeI QsCy9vw https://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=7E2B 9g07Rxk 3:02 AM
  • Cicciabella: Yes, it’s a pity three North American critics felt they had to abstain. The list pertains to symphonic repertoire: best... 2:57 AM
  • Porgy Amor: Elizabeth DeShong is performing something called TestTestTest Hmm… New to the 2014-15 season, at a random point each... 2:55 AM
  • Cicciabella: Camille, if you want to see a staged version of Edgar, there’s one with Cura from Torino on the Tube. It’s an... 2:47 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Aaaargh, neighbours fiddling with opera glasses… 2:32 AM
  • NPW-Paris: Kaufmann is doing a Puccini recital this season at the Champs Elysées. I imagine he’s touring it to promote the album. 2:28 AM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.  The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera.

Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.