• Grane: I agree with Early Romantic that pledge week is my signal not to bother watching PBS. I like Fleming... 2:20 PM
  • SilvestriWoman: @SFGuy, Ronstadt did seriously prepare for that role. Not sure if she had at that point but,... 2:19 PM
  • armerjacquino: And you don’t get to decide what ‘merit and quality’ are, you know. 2:09 PM
  • armerjacquino: Wow, you’re going to have to do a hell of a lot better than that. My post was an... 2:09 PM
  • EarlyRomantic: ‘Things should be allowed to exist regardless of merit or quality if Flemingflappers... 1:27 PM
  • armerjacquino: ‘Things should be allowed to exist if I like them’. 1:08 PM
  • EarlyRomantic: If she wants to make a Christmas album and people want to buy it- fine. I won’t be, but its... 12:52 PM
  • Krunoslav: Hammond-Stroud (indeed wonderful in an ENO RHINEGOLD I saw) did fine as Faninal at the Met but... 12:10 PM
  • SF Guy: Speaking of G&S and crossover… httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=1ud5 4BCPJv8 (More... 12:08 PM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: LOL – My fav version is with Hinge and Brackett – Helas – not to... 11:42 AM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.  The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera. Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.