• Porgy Amor: Thanks for the kind words, phoenix. My own nod to La Cieca for the great photos. 1:00 AM
  • parpignol: in house: Alagna sounded well enough, but not comfortable with the role; Luisi was tentative as he tried to accommodate the... 12:55 AM
  • Porgy Amor: I agree with your very good summing-up of both Opolais and Westbroek, mrsjohnclaggart. I’ve seen the Covent Garden... 12:40 AM
  • mrsjohnclaggart: PCally, I didn’t think Opolais sang with any great beauty or remarkable ease tonight, she sounds like an HD... 12:20 AM
  • Howling in Tune: They were thinking, “This’ ll be quite an event if it happens, but we’d better have a backup... 12:16 AM
  • Constantine A. Papas: Give Alagna some slack. He has never sung the role and had a week to learn it. He’ll get better. Maybe is me... 11:52 PM
  • PCally: mrsjohnclaggart, I have seen both this and her broadcast from Baden Baden, where this met production originally premiered.... 11:22 PM
  • Vergin Vezzosa: @coloraturafan – enthusiastic + 1, having seen MS three times this season and having been transported by multiple... 10:56 PM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.  The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera.

Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• leboyfriend says:

As I have mentioned here before, NYCO’s season -opener, Esther is being directed by our General Director, Christopher Mattaliano. Whie that is playing i New York, here in Portland we are producing Philip Glass’s Orphée. I had the chance to sit and chat with Glass for an hour on Tuesday and I have to say that whether one is attracted to his music or not, he is a thoroughly engaging, approachable and fascinating man. It is many years since I was so taken with an individual. Please wish us well with Orphée, as anything later than Puccini is viewed somewhat askance by audiences here in Portland. Incidentally, Orange Mountain Music will be recording our performances for release as a commercially available CD -- the first such recording of this work.

• Will says:

Great news! Orphee is very beautiful and I believe the Portland production features Lisa Saffer who sang and acted so superbly in the Glimmerglass performances.

• leboyfriend says:

Will. Lisa Saffer, yes! And Phil Cudlip. Anne Manson is conducting and Sam Helfrich is directing. This is the Glimmerglass production. And I love it!

• Alto says:

Please do not abbreviate the name of Mr. Cutlip — which you also misspell, by the way. It should always be preceded by the words “The Divine …”

What a barihunk!

• squirrel says:

my isn’t Mr Jorden busy this season!!

• squirrel says:

that was a damn short Esther clip

is Mr Jorden dying of Swine Flu in the background??

• squirrel says:

Mr Jorden is doing a solo performance of Esther, beginning tomorrow night at the Koch Theater!

Very cheeky move! You must have a tough agent…

• Alto says:

Wonderful job by J.J. I hope La Cieca was proud.

• La Cieca says:

Mr. Jorden’s performances at the Koch are legendary.

• La Cieca says:

A preview of Friday night’s “Esther” performance:

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.