• Sanford: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=SBwx 5H0dSWk 6:20 PM
  • Sanford: Somehow, this all manages to sound like Anna Russell. 6:17 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Best of all httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=ukgW U6JCZkg 6:16 PM
  • Quanto Painy Fakor: Like William Grant Still (here an except from The Bayou Legend) httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=A6Uv LNZ1JDU and the... 6:02 PM
  • Patrick Mack: Excellent review Mr. Yohalem and that libretto does seem a caution. Amazing that this man’s music is practically... 4:53 PM
  • Donna Anna: That was beautiful and my god, that high C was exquisitely floated. Given her acting chops, she’d make a formidable... 4:52 PM
  • Chimene: And your point in posting this??? 4:44 PM
  • Satisfied: Can you expound on that, Feld? The production that is. Happy to see that Harteros will get a live stream this season! 3:59 PM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.  The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera.

Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.