• Buster: First hearing: 1) 2) KIrsten Flagstad 3) 4) 5) Gundula Janowitz 6) Inga Nielsen 7) 8 ) 9) Galina 10)... 2:25 AM
  • musesick man: One place where Mr. Gelb has completely disappointed me is in the arena of co-productions.... 1:01 AM
  • la vociaccia: No. Voters are being hyperbolic for the sake of drama. When Dessay had trouble at the... 12:56 AM
  • musesick man: I don’t know that there are plans other than “we don’t know what to do so... 12:51 AM
  • Constantine A. Papas: It’s really silly to argue about words such a “obsolete 221; or... 12:35 AM
  • parpignol: not a very exciting season, but still plenty to enjoy; in addition to the productions mentioned... 12:23 AM
  • philomel: Only La Cieca knows for sure ;-). 12:07 AM
  • laddie: I just heard Erin Morley sing a coloratura tour-de-force performance in Santa Fe. She dispatched the... 12:05 AM
  • philomel: Predictions were asked for, I gave mine with self described anecdotal evidence for my opinions.... 12:03 AM
  • Lohenfal: I agree with you that Gelb is only part of the picture. The union contracts negotiated by Volpe... 12:01 AM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.  The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera. Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.