• Quanto Painy Fakor: That’s so sweet of you Camille. I really would like to meet you someday. I hope someone posts the video of the... 3:52 AM
  • overstimmelated: P.S. In any case, it would be interesting to know why Maestro Luisi withdrew from the original production. Something... 3:16 AM
  • antikitschychick: Oy vey the break in that extremely long paragraph about SY was a fail; perhaps La Cieca can kindly assist and edit it... 3:09 AM
  • overstimmelated: But what if an irreconcilable disagreement arose in rehearsals over the placement of the prompter’s box (as in last... 3:02 AM
  • antikitschychick: (short) addendum: I forgot to mention that the second disappointment was that the chorus during the Misere sounded... 2:26 AM
  • antikitschychick: The second performance was the opening night of Il Trovatore featuring the same cast as today’s HD… This was... 2:13 AM
  • La Cieca: I get the feeling sometimes that certain stars when they find themselves in poorish vehicles get the idea that if they just push... 1:35 AM
  • Rosemont: There was a fellow in my theater today loudly telling his companion re Dima: “He is dying, he is dying. This is the last... 1:31 AM

Smokey and the Pundit

jjOur publisher JJ will grace the airwaves of WNYC this afternoon at 2:00 PM for an appearance on Soundcheck.¬† The topic is that one on everyone’s mind right now, the renascent New York City Opera.

Purists should we warned in advance that this radio program will involve the use of electronic microphones.

UPDATE: Here’s the relevant segment of the show.

• sfmike says:

Thank you, La Cieca, for that video clip. I’ve decided that there isn’t a frame of film in which Joan Collins appears that is less than fabulous, not to mention textbook camp.

• squirrel says:

LOL i just got back from the bodega, and when I clicked your video clip, the webstream from WNYC was still rolling unbeknownst to me, and so for the duration of the clip I heard simultaneous narration such as: “Anger, sadness, indescribable tenderness, these are the feelings that Precious evoked in me…”

It was kind of like your Forging Song in Canon (though contrapuntally inferior).

I guess you had to be there.

God bless Joan Collins.

• leboyfriend says:

Sorry, Alto, you are qwuite right. I did mis-type his name. He does, however, quite happily answer to ‘Phil.’

• leboyfriend says:

Alto -- I can’t spell ‘quite’ either, apparently.

• CruzSF says:

I listened to the show on podcast before it was excerpted here, so I really felt that there was too little JJ. But he was certainly diplomatic about G. Steel, the Koch theater, and the added-by-demand performance of “Esther”!I didn’t know that JJ had appeared on Soundcheck before. Can you recall when he previously appeared?

I trust that JJ or La Cieca will tell us all about “Esther” at NYCO, and the atmosphere in the newly refurbished theater. I can’t wait.