• phillyoperalover: Why did she drop Cio Cio San from her rep? She was very good in it. Going into heavier rep? 1:19 PM
  • manou: Immediate photographic evidence required. 1:10 PM
  • Poison Ivy: No, Hong is replacing Racette, who;s dropped Cio Cio San from her repertoire. 1:05 PM
  • steveac10: Morris is only scheduled for Timur and Lodovico. I’ve noticed the artist pages on the new site are still a mess. He... 12:58 PM
  • phillyoperalover: 1) I called Kelsey dropping out since the very beginning when they said he was going to do it. He needs time to rest,... 12:49 PM
  • JohninSeattle: For those of us who suffer with beauty so powerful it’s fatal, I am empathetic to the plight of Eboli. 12:25 PM
  • Poison Ivy: I don’t think the TBA’s are being held for Poplavskaya. If they were then they’d be announced as such to... 12:23 PM
  • nachEule: Oh, yes agreed absolutely; his language shows irritation and I’m sure you’re right, LT, no $ for him from Decca,... 12:12 PM

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?