• la vociaccia: I didn’t listen to the broadcast but I’m going to this production later in the... 10:29 PM
  • Krunoslav: I was so angry as a 15 year old drama student when I first saw this show that I booed loudly from... 10:09 PM
  • Batty Masetto: But the important question: did she have the Habsburg tail? (Which I doubt would have shown... 10:08 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Joan looks very pretty here. The prettiest I’ve ever seen her. 10:07 PM
  • laddie: In Santa Fe, we clutch our squash blossoms which can be very dangerous. 9:44 PM
  • Poison Ivy: Well before the days of photographs royals just commissioned portraits that took out their flaws.... 9:42 PM
  • laddie: Wasn’t Carsen’s NP of Zauberflöte done last year at Baden-Baden? 9:41 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: Turning men into jelly is not a compliment to a lady’s charms :D 9:40 PM
  • laddie: I thought she sang much better than the dress videos in cantabile/cabalett a, especially the... 9:35 PM
  • Guestoria Unpopularenka: I really didn’t think the rehearsal clip was bad at all. 9:33 PM

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?