• Feldmarschallin: Tebaldi the best Santuzza on disc? That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.... 2:36 PM
  • ML: Eeeeewwww. Too much info … . 2:16 PM
  • Camille: …have we fucking lost all discernment or is the voice just soooooo stunning live that critical... 2:08 PM
  • Krunoslav: I thought Barkmin sounded like end-of-career Malfitano when I heard her in Toronto last year. A... 2:07 PM
  • robertovillalba: The RCA Tebaldi-Bjoerling- Bastianini/Erede “Cavalleria Rusticana” was recorded... 2:06 PM
  • Clita del Toro: Oh, really? Thank you, Cammiest. ya live and loin! 1:51 PM
  • Operngasse: I hope you get to see Fidelio. I was lucky enough to see Vickers sing Florestan at the Met (1979?... 1:49 PM
  • RosinaLeckermaul: Having heard Goerke in FRAU and recent broadcasts, I simply can’t imagine her as... 1:34 PM
  • Lohengrin: Did anyone discuss the divorse of Calleja? 1:33 PM
  • RosinaLeckermaul: The singing is magnificent on that recording — my favorite of CAVs. Tebaldi’s... 1:27 PM

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?