• williams: We were in row S center orchestra the tragic first night. Went to the box office after the... 9:15 AM
  • tatiana: Once the governor announced that there would be limited transit service after 7pm, though, the... 9:02 AM
  • operaassport: Exactly, so nothing last night needed to be canceled. A shame really. 8:56 AM
  • LittleMasterMiles: Any chance they’ll reschedule the LiveStream? 8:26 AM
  • tatiana: Well said, mia apulia! I came home early from work because of the blizzard warnings, prepared some... 8:17 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: As a late-week bonus, I uploaded Friday night’s Wiener Staatsoper... 7:16 AM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: NY Times: “The National Weather Service said the blizzard warning for... 7:08 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Richard Versalle http://en.wikipedi a.org/wiki/Richard _Versalle 6:47 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Extra credit must be given to Damrau who was interrupted by someone during her cadenza. I... 5:52 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Well no cancellation at yesterday’s Lucia Premiere: https://www.staats oper.de/index... 5:20 AM

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?