• "As far as I’m aware, the problem with attracting premiere singers at Bayreuth..." - Bluebeard
  • "good points Ivy, but wouldn’t you agree that some changes are still..." - antikitschychick
  • "Not to stray too far from the discussion from Ianw’s liquid shits, but for my..." - m. croche
  • "Just a couple of details: – The Komische Oper draws singers primarily from a..." - Fluffy-net
  • "A penthouse Don G. How revolutionary. Next you’ll blow my mind with a Verdi..." - ianw2
  • "If someone is really interested in opera, they would likely read the few paragraphs..." - ianw2
  • "The relevance of opera to modern life is discussed here pretty much daily." - armerjacquino
  • "You mean the exclusion that found Sellars directing NIXON IN CHINA at the Met,..." - Krunoslav

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?