• Cicciabella: Thank you, Jungfer Marianne, for making this available. Listened halfway through. Barenboim,... 6:30 PM
  • Regina delle fate: or maybe Dutch. 6:29 PM
  • Ilka Saro: “bodygebuild ete” looks plenty English to me. 6:27 PM
  • MontyNostry: It looks as though something has gone terribly wrong with the commedia dell’arte troupe in... 6:24 PM
  • pasavant: This is America. Speak English! 6:20 PM
  • Archaeopteryx: Here is what you are looking for, in full HD glory: http://www.amazon. de/Verdi-Trovat... 6:10 PM
  • Lindoro Almaviva: Yum… I’d do him 5:48 PM
  • operaassport: Okay, I’ll say it. He’s HOT! 5:48 PM
  • semira mide: Boy, didn’t they! 5:48 PM
  • Jungfer Marianne Leitmetzerin: I am just in from the Britten “War Requiem” – today is the 100th anniversary... 5:47 PM

Done that!

dunesting

Sting is hoping to attract new fans to opera with his latest release, a film in which he and wife Trudie Styler tell the story of composer Robert Schumann. [BBC News]

• fidelio101 says:

I went to the dress rehearsal for Aida last night and just spent the whole evening thinking……”What would Luc Bondy do with THIS production! LOL

• Krunoslav says:

So, fidelio 101, how was the singing? Loud and unnuanced, on assumes? Does Urmana manage the Nile C well? Does she make any impact dramatically?

• fidelio101 says:

Well lets see. I was never a fan of Botha and last night didn’t change it.Zajick who I usually love, sounded tired and Urmana is better on the Scala DVD. At least on that you get Roberto Bolle dancing, which is worth the purchase price alone. We left before the Nile but also went to Barbiere today. I had never heard Barry Banks before. I kept waiting for him to break out into “My Wild Irish Rose”. I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound, but he brings new meaning to the phrase.
    I have to say I went wanting to love Di Donato but last season Garancia
    spoiled me.

• Alto says:

“Zajick who [sic] I usually love, sounded tired …”

Give the woman a break. She was at the TOSCA prima, and that takes some recovery time.

Many blogs (especially, it seems, homophilic blogs) have in-joke expressions. I think we here at the Box — craving La Cieca’s indugence — should keep this one in:

“I’ve heard of singers not having an Italianette sound …”

• Krunoslav says:

Did Garanca spoil you via her complete inability to bring sung Italian words to life?

She might have been singing the Riga phone book…

Give me diDonato any day!

• fidelio101 says:

Is “homophilic” really a word?