• Stendhal: Sorry Ian – wish I could reply directly to you. Thanks for your response. So if we keep... 9:58 PM
  • DellaCasaFan: ianw2: you do not mention that Baumol’s theory is based on the quality-nonadjuste d... 9:56 PM
  • PokeyGascon: I was curious what exactly is the job description for a Bill Poster union member? I saw... 9:33 PM
  • ianw2: But isn’t that the whole point of the Baumol Effect- that standard market economics don’t... 9:16 PM
  • ianw2: I should probably add that even though the vast majority of ushers in Australia are on casual... 9:04 PM
  • m. croche: But I don’t see why they have to be unionised. Um, because they want to be unionized? 9:04 PM
  • kashania: I’m surprised to hear that the majority of ushers in the U.S. are volunteers. Volunteers are... 8:53 PM
  • Stendhal: “That’s exactly the point- there isn’t one.” Which is what I was hinting at. The... 8:53 PM
  • steveac10: And a part time job that is not a livelihood probably does not need a union. I was not being mean... 8:45 PM
  • philomel: Yes ianw2, I would think so. I have worked in Regional theaters were the ushers were volunteers,... 8:44 PM

we’ll always have paris

The legendary “Tokyo Traviata,” one of the most often pirated opera videos, has finally been released in an authorized version by VAI. Featuring the golden-age cast of Renata Scotto, Jose Carreras and Sesto Bruscantini, the DVD boasts beautifully restored video and broadcast-quality audio — by far the cleanest version of this telecast La Cieca has ever seen. Here’s a sample from this performance of September 19, 1973:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/hWTfL1HAMOs" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

The DVD, which includes subtitles in English, French, Italian, Spanish and (embedded) Japanese, is available through all the usual sources including amazon.com.

• All-Knowing Mussel says:

So many interesting thoughts on this thread, but am I the only one here who has a fondness for the Monteux TRAVIATA with Carteri/Valletti/Warren? Personally, I find the recordings by the then very young Carteri (including the Santini BOHEME) to be under-appreciated.

• Alice Roberts says:

You are not the only one who loves this recording of Traviata,
    I think it’s beauiful. Carteri is under appreciated.

• OMG says:

“But your witless and fraudulent description appears to be of a live appearance in an opera house and that would not have been possible because of the size and heaviness of the cameras and the problems synching sound.” boomed the clueless claggart, of supposed mastery.

Claggart, you say there is no way to make a film in the time I mentioned having a little “peep show” slides that flipped make a film effect. Look here at archive I found on Youtube that makes you look silly. Caruso arriving and the scenes from the opera Aida which opened the new House in 1908.

The capability to film, tangos and operas were well in place.
    and you thundered and insulted saying they could not do so. They were used for newsreel and plenty more exist.

• OMG says:

The aida of the first section used by the newsreel is non other than the great Tebaldi. Film was possible. answer to your first insult about my clip of Cecilia.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

My goodness, it would be a dream come true of a recording of Callas in Don Carlo surfaced. Please tell me it is going to happen.

• Sir Morosus says:

Cocky Kurwenal

there is DVD of Callas singing live excerpts from Covent Garden and on it she sings “tu che le vanita” (excuse the spelling). It was broadcast on the TV years ago when such broadcasts were more regular than they are now. I don’t believe she ever sang the role complete.

I can also recall Sena Jurinac in the last Act of Tosca and I wonder if that is still in the vaults somewhere, and Jurinac as the Marschallin in the first act of Der Rosenkavalier when the Visconti production was new in the 60s. As Billy Budd and P Grimes are just now being released after 40 years officially we can live in hope.

• Cocky Kurwenal says:

Sir, I have that on VHS, along with another Tu che le vanita from another, earlier concert, and an O Don Fatale from yet another concert.

She most certainly did do the whole role of Elisabetta (not Eboli) on stage but alas, I have never seen it available anywhere, or had any confirmation that a recording exists, until I was tantalised by Alice above. I’m pretty sure it was at La Scala, although I may be wrong on that.