• Lohenfal: The Met is broadcasting the March 7 performance with Kaufmann and Garanca over the radio. Since... 8:58 AM
  • phoenix: Everyone who is still coherent (that does not include me) please enter this quiz –... 8:54 AM
  • DellaCasaFan: 7) Sena Jurinac I think Rysanek was earlier, 3) “Doch toben auch…” 8:46 AM
  • WindyCityOperaman: Born on this day in 1654 composer Agostino Steffani httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=8... 8:23 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Rysanek was there as well as Frida Leider who was also towards the end. 7:58 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Yes I agree Oedipe. There are other singers who seem to be content with singing in Europe... 7:55 AM
  • oedipe: Indeed. We need Alagna in (Continental) Europe. Why waste his time on long stays in NY, for second... 7:24 AM
  • Will: What I have not seen discussed here yet is that the MET has started spending down the endowment. Such... 7:16 AM
  • Hippolyte: #3 is Marilyn Horne, and I think I hear Rysanek toward the end, possibly #16? 7:08 AM
  • Lohengrin: sorry: expensive… Met should breadcast one of the Carmens with Garanca and Kaufmann instead... 7:05 AM

get me pat racette!

The author, now viewed as an early feminist, based the plot on her own difficult experience with postpartum depression, which was then diagnosed as a nervous disorder curable only by a long period of bed rest, over-feeding and withdrawal from the world of family and friends. The character in the opera ends up going mad from this treatment, while confined to a room with peeling wallpaper.

You know how sometimes you read about a new opera and you think, boy, this has Francesca Zambello written all over it?

• harry says:

Sorry, your name is Sanfordn ot Sandford…must remember!

• Brad says:

What surprises me about this is that an operatic version of “The Yellow Wallpaper” already exists. It was written in 1989 by Ronald Perera, a MA based composer. When I was in grad school in Chicago our opera department presented it. It has some catchy, vocally gracious lines, and provides a decent evening of theater. I found Alex’s above comment interesting, though, as he mentioned the “lasting value” of the show….since Perera’s version is all but forgotten, it makes one wonder if this new version will be any more memorable. Probably doesn’t hurt that a new film of the book is hitting theaters this year.

Perhaps Famous Quickly could sing Charlotte in one version today and the other *tomorrow*. At least we’d have formidable vocal technique and dramatic fire even if the scores fall a bit short!

• bardassa says:

Marguerite in Faust/Mephistophele had postpartum depression too.

• Sanford says:

How about operas based on Jane Austen or one of the Bronte sisters. They may not be feminist, but they feature such wonderful female characters. And rather than Jane Eyre, I would pick Charlotte’s novel, “Villette”. Or maybe something by Harold Robbins. And certainly operas based on Gordin Merrick…ooh, starring all of our favorite hunkentenors and barihunks. Nathan Gunn and the future Mr. Netrebko starring in “An Idol For Others”!

• erica says:

Jane Austen and the Brontes are as feminist as they come! Great style. Great plots. Great women. Real art. (All right. Jane Eyre’s a castration fantasy, but at least she’s letting it all hang out.)

And I love your idea of The Women as an opera. Don’t know what it says about me that I was chosen to play the writer (A virgin, a frozen asset) in our high school production. Well, maybe I do know what it says… but I still love the play.

• Lydia Language says:

I did rather enjoy Gilman’s story when I first read it (in a collected book of ghost stories), although I wondered how she could be writing it down (as she says she is) while she is crawling around the room and over the body of her fainting husband. But its status as a feminist icon is indeed rather off-putting. Manon Lescaut — now there’s a feminist icon for you! Why shouldn’t she have it all? Jewels? Madrigals? Hot sex? Convents? Louisiana vacations? Dare to dream, ML! Right on! (Has Zambello written all over it.)