• Sanford: On entirely different note, I’ve been hired to sing Colas in Bastien Und Bastienne for several... 9:32 AM
  • Sanford: I’m listening to the Bartoli Norma recording and while I’ve been a vocal critic of her... 9:29 AM
  • phoenix: Dedicated to the much appreciated Œdipe: Last Saturday an audio broadcast (performed 24 August 2014)... 9:09 AM
  • DonCarloFanatic: It’s “Opera Week” at MPT from Baltimore, and five Met HD’s are being... 9:00 AM
  • phoenix: Of course Feld I’m looking forward to it, but according to the reviewer in the article below,... 8:55 AM
  • Cocky Kurwenal: Excellent news, thanks Feldm. 8:45 AM
  • phoenix: dan, I assume they just haven’t been released yet. The Russian sites seem to imply that the... 8:40 AM
  • Feldmarschallin: Next Saturday Bayern 4 Klassik will bring Favorite from Salzburg with Mrs Garanca, Florez... 8:15 AM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: Thanks Monty for that link of Jeritza – a dear old OLD friend had heard her in... 8:07 AM
  • MontyNostry: I didn’t see Evstatieva live, but heard her in a number of live broadcasts (notably in a... 7:56 AM

get me pat racette!

The author, now viewed as an early feminist, based the plot on her own difficult experience with postpartum depression, which was then diagnosed as a nervous disorder curable only by a long period of bed rest, over-feeding and withdrawal from the world of family and friends. The character in the opera ends up going mad from this treatment, while confined to a room with peeling wallpaper.

You know how sometimes you read about a new opera and you think, boy, this has Francesca Zambello written all over it?

• harry says:

Sorry, your name is Sanfordn ot Sandford…must remember!

• Brad says:

What surprises me about this is that an operatic version of “The Yellow Wallpaper” already exists. It was written in 1989 by Ronald Perera, a MA based composer. When I was in grad school in Chicago our opera department presented it. It has some catchy, vocally gracious lines, and provides a decent evening of theater. I found Alex’s above comment interesting, though, as he mentioned the “lasting value” of the show….since Perera’s version is all but forgotten, it makes one wonder if this new version will be any more memorable. Probably doesn’t hurt that a new film of the book is hitting theaters this year.

Perhaps Famous Quickly could sing Charlotte in one version today and the other *tomorrow*. At least we’d have formidable vocal technique and dramatic fire even if the scores fall a bit short!

• bardassa says:

Marguerite in Faust/Mephistophele had postpartum depression too.

• Sanford says:

How about operas based on Jane Austen or one of the Bronte sisters. They may not be feminist, but they feature such wonderful female characters. And rather than Jane Eyre, I would pick Charlotte’s novel, “Villette”. Or maybe something by Harold Robbins. And certainly operas based on Gordin Merrick…ooh, starring all of our favorite hunkentenors and barihunks. Nathan Gunn and the future Mr. Netrebko starring in “An Idol For Others”!

• erica says:

Jane Austen and the Brontes are as feminist as they come! Great style. Great plots. Great women. Real art. (All right. Jane Eyre’s a castration fantasy, but at least she’s letting it all hang out.)

And I love your idea of The Women as an opera. Don’t know what it says about me that I was chosen to play the writer (A virgin, a frozen asset) in our high school production. Well, maybe I do know what it says… but I still love the play.

• Lydia Language says:

I did rather enjoy Gilman’s story when I first read it (in a collected book of ghost stories), although I wondered how she could be writing it down (as she says she is) while she is crawling around the room and over the body of her fainting husband. But its status as a feminist icon is indeed rather off-putting. Manon Lescaut — now there’s a feminist icon for you! Why shouldn’t she have it all? Jewels? Madrigals? Hot sex? Convents? Louisiana vacations? Dare to dream, ML! Right on! (Has Zambello written all over it.)