• umangialaio: Here we go: orchestra and chorus of Teatro dell’opera di Roma collectively fired. That... 12:20 PM
  • Buster: Annick Massis rehearsing Manon. The second time only she sings the role, after Rome, but she was ill... 12:09 PM
  • ML: Manou, r u looking forward to Lausanne? Will a report be forthcoming? 12:08 PM
  • La marquise de Merteuil: And as Brendan Behan has said “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how... 12:07 PM
  • ML: Oh, La Cieca is too much! 12:04 PM
  • DeepSouthSenior: http://www.telegra ph.co.uk/culture/m usic/opera/9568889 /Elina-Garanca-We- mezzos-get-to... 12:01 PM
  • Baltsamic Vinaigrette: Indeed I remember you mentioned this before, Monty; I wonder if you attended on the... 11:51 AM
  • Dabrowski: Where did I see an interview with Garan?a where she talked about moving into Wagner? 11:51 AM
  • manou: La Cieca on the other hand has called British critics “a passel of overeducated prats”,... 11:47 AM
  • armerjacquino: It’s a tag. 11:42 AM

Wonder boy

Everyone’s favorite new tenor Stephen Costello (whom so many of you have seen and enjoyed on YouTube) may be heard in in the flesh at a free “preview” recital Tuesday, May 23 at 7:30 at the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, 152 W. 71st Street. (He’ll take the program to London for his debut there June 1.) Costello will sing arias by Verdi, Puccini and Donizetti and songs by Liszt, Tosti, Cardillo and Brodsky, and one imagines he might be coaxed to do an encore or two. La Cieca’s loyal readers are invited, nay, encouraged to attend.

• Yniold says:

Where is he performing in London?

• Greg says:

Yniold: he’s performing at St. John’s, Smith Square, SW1. Info here.

• hab mir's gelobt says:

gosh i haven’t been to st johns smith square since gundula janowitz gave her schubert (farewell?!) recital there in the late 1990′s. it is a pleasant place but always awkward to reach! sounds as if i should venture there again?

tonight i am off to see/hear domingo in cyrano… ijust hope the nose wont be too hideous! ;)

• JATM2063 says:

Hmmmm. Only three other postings before this one. I guess he hasn’t generated as much excitement as the hype would lead us to believe…..

• Yniold says:

Well I hope to give the guy a hearing in London.

Come on Hab mir’s gelobt. St John’s is is only a short walk from Westminster.

Eric Cutler is making his debut in Don Pasquale at CG. Is he worth a visit?

• Winpal says:

I have seen him in a couple of concert performances with the San Francisco Symphony and Michael Tilson Thomas — the Steersman in Flying Dutchman and Jacquino in Fidelio. I thought he was excellent in both — a fine lyric tenor. I also enjoy his recital CD — some lovely singing in Reynaldo Hahn songs and he does a good job with the Liszt Petrarch sonnets which are a real bitch to sing. If I were in London, I would definitely go.

• Dontcalluswellcallu says:

Costello has an unsupported voice with a pretty easy top-no alignment in the voice Listen to M. Devia sing the shit out of Lucrezia for a lesson in alignment- The Fluttery vibrato etc.his phrasing is breathy and “acted” and in my humble opinion he simply doesnt do the job. Just another “lucky” voice that will thin out and fall off….

• mike says:

dontcalluswellcallu just sounds like a bitter person who didnt make it in the career. I happen to like his voice.