• phoenix: Aulus, you are an observant & objective listener. Please give us your take on the performance... 4:57 PM
  • PCally: Tbh I know nothing about Killebrew other then that was in the Chereau ring. She’s wonderful so... 4:50 PM
  • Krunoslav: Pcally– indeed you are right. Killebrew did sing Fricka, and also Erda, elsewhere–... 4:49 PM
  • PCally: Krunoslav, Gwendolyn Killebrew sing Waltraute and one of the Valkyries (and she’s lovely in... 4:25 PM
  • Buster: Carlo Maria Giulini & Charlotte Margiono on stage together: httpv://www.youtub e.com/watch?v=a... 4:00 PM
  • Poison Ivy: If Brownlee were rejected from a gig and the stated reason was “at this time we do not feel... 3:51 PM
  • Buster: We can add Mattiwilda Dobbs and Reri Grist, who both sang the Woodbird. 3:46 PM
  • Krunoslav: If one is a fucking idiot in public on such an evident and divisive issue one is bound to be... 3:40 PM
  • Krunoslav: Yes, but her statement here is still too categorical: “It isn’t with pride that I say that still,... 3:34 PM
  • armerjacquino: Right. So every black singer who has ever auditioned to play the Marschallin, or Eva, or Elsa,... 3:20 PM

Wonder boy

Everyone’s favorite new tenor Stephen Costello (whom so many of you have seen and enjoyed on YouTube) may be heard in in the flesh at a free “preview” recital Tuesday, May 23 at 7:30 at the Church of the Blessed Sacrament, 152 W. 71st Street. (He’ll take the program to London for his debut there June 1.) Costello will sing arias by Verdi, Puccini and Donizetti and songs by Liszt, Tosti, Cardillo and Brodsky, and one imagines he might be coaxed to do an encore or two. La Cieca’s loyal readers are invited, nay, encouraged to attend.

• Yniold says:

Where is he performing in London?

• Greg says:

Yniold: he’s performing at St. John’s, Smith Square, SW1. Info here.

• hab mir's gelobt says:

gosh i haven’t been to st johns smith square since gundula janowitz gave her schubert (farewell?!) recital there in the late 1990′s. it is a pleasant place but always awkward to reach! sounds as if i should venture there again?

tonight i am off to see/hear domingo in cyrano… ijust hope the nose wont be too hideous! ;)

• JATM2063 says:

Hmmmm. Only three other postings before this one. I guess he hasn’t generated as much excitement as the hype would lead us to believe…..

• Yniold says:

Well I hope to give the guy a hearing in London.

Come on Hab mir’s gelobt. St John’s is is only a short walk from Westminster.

Eric Cutler is making his debut in Don Pasquale at CG. Is he worth a visit?

• Winpal says:

I have seen him in a couple of concert performances with the San Francisco Symphony and Michael Tilson Thomas — the Steersman in Flying Dutchman and Jacquino in Fidelio. I thought he was excellent in both — a fine lyric tenor. I also enjoy his recital CD — some lovely singing in Reynaldo Hahn songs and he does a good job with the Liszt Petrarch sonnets which are a real bitch to sing. If I were in London, I would definitely go.

• Dontcalluswellcallu says:

Costello has an unsupported voice with a pretty easy top-no alignment in the voice Listen to M. Devia sing the shit out of Lucrezia for a lesson in alignment- The Fluttery vibrato etc.his phrasing is breathy and “acted” and in my humble opinion he simply doesnt do the job. Just another “lucky” voice that will thin out and fall off….

• mike says:

dontcalluswellcallu just sounds like a bitter person who didnt make it in the career. I happen to like his voice.